RevGreen

Moving back out of America before AOS completes. Consequences?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

We've been waiting 150 days for my wife's AP / EAD. Unfortunately we can't wait any longer. My wife and I have both received job opportunities back in Thailand that we can't refuse. So - I understand that if we leave it will make the whole process void. Will that have any repercussion on her getting a tourist visa later on when we want to come visit my family? What if we wait for the AP, but not for the AOS interview. Will that be a better "look" for her in the future?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
10 minutes ago, RevGreen said:

We've been waiting 150 days for my wife's AP / EAD. Unfortunately we can't wait any longer. My wife and I have both received job opportunities back in Thailand that we can't refuse. So - I understand that if we leave it will make the whole process void. Will that have any repercussion on her getting a tourist visa later on when we want to come visit my family? What if we wait for the AP, but not for the AOS interview. Will that be a better "look" for her in the future?

if you leave before the AOS interview it will void it to.

there will be no repercussions but the full disclosure that it was applied for will need to be made and they very well could deny based on immigrant intent.

Good luck 

if you leave also keep in mind to get back to USA you will need to file I-130 for a CR1/IR1 visa.

Edited by Khallaf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Your AP is valid only while the AOS is in process. Failing to attend the interview will result in the cancellation of the AOS application and hence the AP.  IMO holding onto .and especially using the AP while you clearly intend not to live in the US, would be a far worse look than cancelling the whole process now and moving overseas. 

It is hard to get a tourist visa for a USC spouse.  Not that it is always denied but you really have to show non immigrant intent.  

Why did you go thru all of the wait if you were planning on going back to Thailand to work?

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

It is hard to get a tourist visa for a USC spouse.  Not that it is always denied but you really have to show non immigrant intent.  

Why did you go thru all of the wait if you were planning on going back to Thailand to work?

Obviously we didn't plan to move back. But some opportunities you can't say no to.

Our lawyer had explained that having surrendered PR would be favorable in the future, as she already demonstrated that despite a clear path to PR and a Green Card, she has no intent on actually living in America.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, RevGreen said:

Obviously we didn't plan to move back. But some opportunities you can't say no to.

Our lawyer had explained that having surrendered PR would be favorable in the future, as she already demonstrated that despite a clear path to PR and a Green Card, she has no intent on actually living in America.

if there was no actual intent to live in America why didn't you just move there in the first place, you simply cost yourself money for the filing and if you paid to hire an attorney.

good luck for your future.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, RevGreen said:

Why does it matter to you? We moved to America because we wanted to. And now we are moving back to Thailand because we want to.

Being rude don’t give you good answers on here. One may just simply wonder why.

Timeline
Just now, RevGreen said:

But I already said why... because of a job opportunity.

my question was simply based on your saying she had no intent to live here, there for I asked the question as to why come somewhere she didn't want to live anyway, if she expressed she did not want to come.

anyway sorry I ruffled your feathers, you have your answers already

good luck in the future.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, RevGreen said:

But I already said why... because of a job opportunity.

So... while you are in the process of AOS, were you looking for jobs in Thailand? Or are this “job opportunities” just came to you without you even looking for it? Just curious, that’s all.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, ykowalski said:

Let us stick to answering the OP's question and not get sidetracked by what made him change his mind. 

Thanks.

I am well aware that leaving cancels the process. I'm simply wondering if anyone has experience in getting a tourist visa AFTER surrendering PR or similar.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
20 minutes ago, RevGreen said:

Thanks.

I am well aware that leaving cancels the process. I'm simply wondering if anyone has experience in getting a tourist visa AFTER surrendering PR or similar.

The standard remains the same.   Strong ties to home country.  Having a USC spouse simply adds to the items to overcome but it is not an impossible thing to overcome just takes more thought on how you will present such evidence 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Khallaf said:

my question was simply based on your saying she had no intent to live here, there for I asked the question as to why come somewhere she didn't want to live anyway, if she expressed she did not want to come.

anyway sorry I ruffled your feathers, you have your answers already

good luck in the future.

In fairness to the OP.....rereading the thread, it is more clear that the "she has no intent to live here" part was in reference on how to prove that to POE (if intent is perceived to stay and adjust status) at a later date when returning to the US for tourism purposes.  Not in reference to having "no intent" when K1 and AOS was previously filed for:

1 hour ago, RevGreen said:

OP is basically saying their lawyer advised that surrendering/withdrawing the AOS is a way of (hopefully) showing no intent to stay and adjust status when crossing in the future as a tourist, if intent is brought into question at POE.

OP, keep in mind that entry is only guaranteed to US citizens---with a US spouse, and having had immigrant intent before, expect some level of scrutiny at the border for your foreign spouse.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.