Rebecca34

Confused.com!

74 posts in this topic

Hello there!

We filed a K1 visa. We also agree that the CR-1 would have been more ideal. 

If you can do it, marry either while he is there, or if you visit the states. It will still take an enormous amount of time. You will be able to visit the states if you have an ESTA, but do not plan to remain longer than you're allowed, and absolutely DO NOT OVERSTAY.

This is not a fast or fun process. Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Marry  now in Gibraltar.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

35 minutes ago, missileman said:

That is a major difference between K-1 and CR-1.....and one which many K-1 spouses complain about....the 4-6 month period of idleness after arriving......I have seen many K-1 spouses say "I wish we had filed a CR-1 instead".......I have yet to see a single CR-1 spouse say they should have filed a K-1.

I think you are right...thanks for all your help

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Rebecca34 said:

Ok so we have decided to bring the wedding forward to January and apply for a CR1, does anyone know if he needs to bring a marriage license from the States, or is a UK sufficient?

Marriage license from the locale where the marriage takes place is what is required 

YMMV

1 hour ago, Rebecca34 said:

Ok so thank you all so far, I am forwarding all you have said onto my fiance....we are now thinking maybe bring us getting married forward to january.

So we can apply for the CR1 Visa, when would I be able to move to The States  and work after January? Would it be right away?

I don't think you are getting that the petition period (for both CR-1 and K-1) takes upwards of one year to complete before any visa is issued.  You cannot move to the United States during this time, although visits are allowed (subject to CBP granting entry).

Immigrating to the US is not fast, easy, or cheap.

And read the guides to see what to include with your I-130!

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

1 hour ago, Rebecca34 said:

I guess our my main objective was to be able to move to The States the quickest time frame as possible and be able to work as soon as I arrived. I'm guessing that's the CR1 from response.

There is no "quick" option.  This is a complex process, and it will take a year MINIMUM.  I recommend you do as much reading as possible (here at VJ as well as on the USCIS site) before submitting any paperwork.  Rushing through things and making errors along the way leads to delays.

5 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

And read the guides to see what to include with your I-130!

Yes, the guides and also the USCIS checklists that accompany the petition forms.  

Another piece of advice:  you mentioned that your fiance has a divorce certificate from a prior marriage?  I recommend that he obtain a certified copy of the full divorce decree (decree absolute) from the court that issued it.  Sometimes when petitions are adjudicated, the certificate alone is inadequate to prove dissolution of that marriage.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Another piece of advice:  you mentioned that your fiance has a divorce certificate from a prior marriage?  I recommend that he obtain a certified copy of the full divorce decree (decree absolute) from the court that issued it.  Sometimes when petitions are adjudicated, the certificate alone is inadequate to prove dissolution of that marriage.

Possibly for the marriage license as well 

YMMV

5 hours ago, Alabamak1 said:

you are right, but June 2018 AOS filers have 3 couples that have gotten GC before the 1 year lapsed from the NOA-1 for I-129F. North Carolina seems to process the paperwork extremely fast. For us it will no earlier than April 2019 according to our FO. 

There are a lot of factors that would play a role in this but it's highly unlikely. We filed I-129F end of August 2017 and my fiance (now husband) arrived at POE with K1 in hand beginning of June 2018. We filed AOS in July and he got his GC at the end of October 2018. We didn't even get EAD or AP yet it was so quick. What OP needs to know is this is not normal at all. I suggest that OP looks at the processing times for GC are her fiance's local USCIS office. Our office in Jacksonville Florida is processing super quickly right now but other offices are taking over a year for GC. Now who knows what the processing times will be next year at this time but I wish I had looked into that part of the K-1 AOS process before my husband and I filed. I definitely don't regret choosing the K-1 for us but i think that's because we were so lucky. I would recommend OP does the CR1 based on her priorities when it comes to working in the US etc. 

K-1 VISA

I129F Sent: 08/23/2017

NOA 1: 08/25/2017

NOA 2: 02/27/2018

NVC Received: 03/14/2018

NVC Case #: 03/15/2018

NVC Left: 03/24/2018

Embassy Received: 03/28/2018

Medical: 05/08/2018

Interview: 05/15/2018 

Visa issued: 05/18/2018

Visa received: 05/23/2018 

AOS

POE: 06/07/2018

SSN applied: 06/12/2018

SSN received: 06/28/2018

AOS Sent: 07/27/2018

Biometrics: 08/23/2018

Interview: 10/30/2018

Approval: 10/30/2018 

NOA2: 11/05/2018

Green card Received: 11/08/2018

NO MORE USCIS UNTIL ROC!!!!!😁

Something else worth noting is that non-EEA nationals require a special visa in order to marry in the UK, even if you don't intend to remain there after the marriage. 

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

5 hours ago, missileman said:

That is a major difference between K-1 and CR-1.....and one which many K-1 spouses complain about....the 4-6 month period of idleness after arriving......I have seen many K-1 spouses say "I wish we had filed a CR-1 instead".......I have yet to see a single CR-1 spouse say they should have filed a K-1.

that is why couples must chose wisely which visa is best for them..if they are into "WORKING RIGHT AWAY"k1 visa is not for them but CR1 is..im so tired of listening to those k1 visa holders who are whining because they couldn't work right away and do things without ssn which is as a applicants i know what is the difference of two and already knew the circumstances before we file..im sure they also know it..i hope they stop whining and just face the fact why they chose that type of visa..

OP CR1 is best for your option specially you want to work right away once you come in the states.

22 minutes ago, K & R said:

There are a lot of factors that would play a role in this but it's highly unlikely. We filed I-129F end of August 2017 and my fiance (now husband) arrived at POE with K1 in hand beginning of June 2018. We filed AOS in July and he got his GC at the end of October 2018. We didn't even get EAD or AP yet it was so quick. What OP needs to know is this is not normal at all. I suggest that OP looks at the processing times for GC are her fiance's local USCIS office. Our office in Jacksonville Florida is processing super quickly right now but other offices are taking over a year for GC. Now who knows what the processing times will be next year at this time but I wish I had looked into that part of the K-1 AOS process before my husband and I filed. I definitely don't regret choosing the K-1 for us but i think that's because we were so lucky. I would recommend OP does the CR1 based on her priorities when it comes to working in the US etc. 

phew! happy to see a proud k1 visa filer. 

yea OP best option is CR1 right now..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.