11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I’ve often wondered what USIC will do if a married couple doesn’t have a lot of evidence when they submit there ROC paperwork. I can see where filing income tax together is extremely important, but after that, what’s the point?  It’s not like USIC is going to deport your wife if your in genuine marriage. Every marriage is different. 

I only ask this because when my wife and I filed for ROC, we didn’t provide a lot proof except for tax returns, health insurance plans, credit card accounts etc. My wife and don’t co mingle money and she just recently started worked part time. She just recently opened up a checking account. 

As as much as everybody stresses about ROC at the time of filing, including myself, do couples that are still married ever really have any trouble?  

Im curious, are there any threads on visa journey where couples couldn’t remove conditions?

12 hours ago, PostOakGuy said:

I’ve often wondered what USIC will do if a married couple doesn’t have a lot of evidence when they submit there ROC paperwork. I can see where filing income tax together is extremely important, but after that, what’s the point?  It’s not like USIC is going to deport your wife if your in genuine marriage. Every marriage is different. 

I only ask this because when my wife and I filed for ROC, we didn’t provide a lot proof except for tax returns, health insurance plans, credit card accounts etc. My wife and don’t co mingle money and she just recently started worked part time. She just recently opened up a checking account. 

As as much as everybody stresses about ROC at the time of filing, including myself, do couples that are still married ever really have any trouble?  

Im curious, are there any threads on visa journey where couples couldn’t remove conditions?

I honestly just used the same information for my wife's ROC that I used for her AOS just updated that's it. Just follow that motto and you will be fine

Edited by Cyberfx1024

Timeline

We submitted a lot of evidence including comingling of finances. To us it wasn't worth cutting it close on the evidence and receiving an RFE or a rejection. We're both too busy with work and maintaining a bought house to mess around with further immigration actions. Luckily we were approved in a N400/I751 combo interview since they took over a year to adjudicate the ROC application. It's nice to be done. As for whether couples get rejected and spouses deported, I'm guessing it has happened. You can probably search for such cases here on VJ. More often than naught the couples probably hire an expensive lawyer who goes before a judge and gets their application approved.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Most couples end up okay if they're still married.  There would be an interview and people eventually figure out how to show they've mingled their lives.  I've seen ROC cases approved that shouldn't have been with divorce waivers though, so in reality even when people send in everything including the kitchen sink, in the end they likely would be approved anyhow. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Every relationship is different but I’d like to

believe that common sense and a balance of probabilities would prevail, as I don’t think USCIS routinely denies petitions because one or two things from the ideal list of evidence is missing.

Personally, my husband and I have not been able to successfully get pregnant in our 2 years of marriage, so when we submit our i751 petition next month we won’t have birth certificates of any children to submit, but, weighing out our other evidence (jointly filed taxes, shared assets, bank and credit accounts together, etc) I believe we’ll be just fine.  

I also believe some couples could show genuine good faith without certain co-mingled finances, albeit, it would be more difficult (bc having joint accounts is

just easier) and likely raise a flag for further review/evidence.  A marriage of

good faith is blending your lives together, so the veracity of it isn’t negated just because you have separate bank accounts because there is so much more to a shared life than money.  This is the importance of interviews or even a home visit - because life is so much more than what’s on paper.

12 hours ago, PostOakGuy said:

I only ask this because when my wife and I filed for ROC, we didn’t provide a lot proof except for tax returns, health insurance plans, credit card accounts etc. My wife and don’t co mingle money and she just recently started worked part time.

Well, there's a a reason why USCIS asks for specific evidence, and if you don't provide it, you make it harder for the agency to figure out if you're eligible for a benefit you're applying for.  This, in turn, makes your live much more difficult, unpredictable and expensive. Why would you do that?

It is also amazing to see when people have doubts after the fact (sounds like you already applied for ROC), rather than considering these things ahead of time.

I'll say add your wife to your checking account ASAP and use that account to spend money. You will be in a long(-er) and unpleasant ROC ride otherwise.

Timeline
23 minutes ago, implife said:

o amazing to see when people have doubts after the fact (sounds like you already applied for ROC), rather than considering these things ahead of time.

My wife doesn’t have any money to co-mingle, but she does spend all of mine. LOL. 

My wife and I do have a checking account together and we just started paying bills with it in case we are ask about this later. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, implife said:

You will be in a long(-er) and unpleasant ROC ride otherwise.

not necessarily - people submit I-751 package with less evidences than OP, and still go through ROC successfully. 

And quit opposite thing happens as well   - everything from the "list" was sent , but an RFE still gets found in the mail box, for whatever reason. Very often people have to re-send basically the same stuff, just up-dated, due to long I-751 processing time. 

OP,  there is a possibility to send additional documents to support your I-751 application. It's described on your NOA-1 (Extension Letter) 

Copies of your DLs, with the same address ?

Car Insurance, with both names on it?

Life Ins?

Maybe you have 401 (K) or any other plans, with  each of you, listed there as a beneficiary?

Rental agreement? Or House Title? House Ins?

Utility bills, with both names?

Phone bills - both names or both phone numbers under one account?

Wills? POA? 

Even if you don't do that, you still should be fine. The "worst' scenario - a request for an additional documents will be issued  (an RFE) or an interview will be scheduled. That's it.

So, as long as your marriage was entered in good faith, you will be fine:)

Good luck!!!! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.