Pzs

Adjustment of Status affidavit threats

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

There is no way they go now say we lied in our affidavit they will get in trouble for sure  and the other thing instead of you paying them they should be supporting you because they submit the affidavit for you in which they signed..i bet they can read and write so signed willingly...

only thing can happen they can retrieve their support that’s all but It won’t hurt your bonafida relationship or your AOS procedure 

Edited by AdeelNaz

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I assume it goes without saying you need a new joint sponsor.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

21 minutes ago, AdeelNaz said:

they should be supporting you because they submit the affidavit for you in which they signed..i bet they can read and write so signed willingly...

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

OP said it wasn't a I-864 affidavit just an affidavit saying they know the couple.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline
16 minutes ago, lummo said:

OP said it wasn't a I-864 affidavit just an affidavit saying they know the couple.

Correct, thank you. My husband is my sponsor, their affidavits are only to prove we have a real marriage 

28 minutes ago, Boiler said:

But, wait!  Someone just said it!  :rofl:

You have nothing to worry about. USCIS will not believe these people. Get away from them and change your number. Good luck!  It should only be about 7-8 more months. Just curious.... did you receive your EAD and AoS yet? 

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Damara said:

This is a difficult situation. The biggest concern is the blackmail. It has been well established (through history- and thats how we learn) that when someone gives in to blackmail it doesnt stop. Typically it escalates. If they scare you into giving them what they want, they most likely will ask for more and more. The best way to stop blackmail is to involve the authorities and not 'pay up'.

Now your attny is correct, if they withdraw their statements it is not in your best interest- but I highly doubt he suggested giving in to the blackmail was the best way to go either! I think the attny probably gave you 'legal advice' on what would happen if they withdraw their statements but didnt give you any advice on how to handle it. 

Here are some suggestions- if you havent already disconnected their phones and/or prevented them from accumulating debt in your name do so immediately. Go to your local police department and file a police report as well as a small claims case against them for the money. Get new affidavits from other people and send a copy of the police report, small claims case filing and new affidavits to USCIS along with a letter stating what happened. Expect to get an interview from USCIS and/or USCIS to contact the new affidavit writers. If that all seems too scary for you an alternate plan is to have your attny write them (brother/sister in law) a letter explaining the legal consequences they can face for lying to USCIS. Most people dont realize how severe they are and just think- well I'll tell USCIS I lied and the immigrant will get in trouble. THEY will get in trouble for lying. Either because they say their first statement was a lie or USCIS determines their second statement was a lie. 

The brother/sister in law are probably just trying to scare/bully you by saying this. If they do actually write a second statement that is false there will be consequences for ALL of you. A letter from the attny saying such might dissuade them from this, but honestly if they want to make trouble for you or threaten you they will find another way- so again the best action is to go file a police report, small claims case and if they harass you- a restraining order. 

Its kind of hard for us to get new affidavits as we don’t have many friends, the only friends we have are his family and I don’t go out much and don’t have a job yet(just received my ead last week) so I can’t  really make friends. 

Timeline
38 minutes ago, Diane and Chris said:

You have nothing to worry about. USCIS will not believe these people. Get away from them and change your number. Good luck!  It should only be about 7-8 more months. Just curious.... did you receive your EAD and AoS yet? 

Thank you! I just received my EAD last week but no interview date yet. My pd is April so hopefully very soon

Filed: Timeline

Affidavits do not have to be from friends or family. Think about who the people are that you interact with on a daily basis. Neighbors that see you guys live together, Drs that you visit together, Pharmacists, Mailmen, school teachers etc. Who is it that sees you guys together on a daily basis and can say - yes, they are a couple. Do you go to church? have pets? kids? bought a car? a house? Do you work? Does your spouse? Someone out there can identify you or your spouse in a line up and say yes I know of them and they have a spouse. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Then i would say if next time they come and ask about money you record it and keep it to prove that they are blackmailing you and simply get rid of them

Edited by AdeelNaz

24 minutes ago, AdeelNaz said:

Then i would say if next time they come and ask about money you record it and keep it to prove that they are blackmailing you and simply get rid of them

A quick search shows this is a viable option in Michigan: https://www.wilx.com/content/news/Legal-experts-explains-the-legality-of-recording-conversations--490866471.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

If they put any of the threats in a text or email then you have proof of blackmail, a crime.  I would just not say anything to them and press charges.   

I also think that USCIS would take anything they said as suspect if they admit to having lied.

Keep all voice recordings, texts and emails that contain their threats.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

again, you should have better evidence of a bonafide marriage other than a letter. an affidavit is NOT required.

Do you have joint bank accounts, utilities, same address on ID's, insurances, wills, power of attorneys? Photos of the two of you at family events, holidays? Receipts from vacations?

THAT IS WHAT THE GOVERNMENT WANTS.

anyone can write a letter. that is why they are not required or considered a 'top level' of evidence.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Girl bye cancel those lines and remove them 

the affidavits are good but they don’t represent YOUR RELATIONSHIP i mean YOUR RELATIONSHIP IS REAL WHO CAN SAY IS REAL OR NOT LOL .... as long  as you have your pictures and other evidence of marriage you should be fine 

make a police report just to be on the safe side 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.