PirateLiker

Ideas to make this train wreck less painful?

89 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A post violating the site's Terms of Service has been removed, and administrative action has been applied.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 12/3/2018 at 4:32 AM, PaulMac said:

Okay, i'm gonna be as unbiased and truthful as i can, please bear with me.
Don't blame yourself. I marked the KEY point in your explanation. In my view, she knew what she signed up for when you told her about big changes and i assume you told her that you don't feel the same way anymore. Her giving up her career to come to US wasn't entirely YOUR fault. She did it, knowing that it MIGHT NOT work out, and took a blind gamble instead of waiting for some more time (having 6months to come into US). So i don't see how it's only your fault in any way. 
Further, i'd buy her tickets back to her country, and that's about it. You can give her pocket money to support herself once she goes back there. Meaning a taxi ride, some cash for food and necessities, if she needs more, buy her everything here. Clothes, etc. Let her stay, but give her a separate room until she departures.
She clearly knew that it's a risk at that point to move to USA, especially that you told her about it. I'm not implying for you to be a cold hearted and kick her out. But she has to be reasonable as well, as she was told the possibilities ahead of time.

Wow that sounds insensitive of me. I apologize if that does, i don't mean to, but i'm giving my opinion on the situation.
DO NOT get married. You will complicate your and her's life's even more than it is now. As heart breaking it is, you have to keep your head straight, and think clearly. 

I appreciate the pragmatic view. 

Timeline
On 12/3/2018 at 7:54 AM, CEE53147 said:

Do NOT remain in the same residence.  This can be a setup for VAWA filing. 

It's a good point and it's been mentioned to me by others. I don't see that happening, but I'm not clairvoyant, or even very smart. When I started this thread, I was ready to end it right then and had already told her. As suggested, if there was any hope of getting her job back, I wanted to make it so that she could keep that option open. She said there was no hope, a statement with which I disagreed. Nevertheless, I wasn't going to belabor the point. She was devastated by the news of my feelings. 

The next day I told her that if she wanted to stay and try, that we could do that. I said I didn't think there was a very good chance. She thought about it for a day and decided to give it a shot. So we are kind of playing house. I decided that if we split up after a couple of months, it will be harder than right now. But then I reasoned that when she looks back on this 5 years from now, it will be better if she has some memories of doing some fun things in the US.

She hooked up with some ex-pats today that showed her around a little, so that was cool. Things have been pleasant the last couple of days. 

Timeline
On 12/3/2018 at 8:11 AM, boris64 said:

She gave up her career and you gave up what? Some time and two months wages in her country which is chump change for most of us. Put yourself in her shoes...Anyway if she must go back do it quickly before the resentment sinks in...and it will...

OK and after I put myself in her shoes, do what? Give her more money? How much is enough? 

Timeline
On 12/3/2018 at 1:14 PM, afortunada said:

Well, this is the second time it's happened to you, so I'm going to go ahead and say you should do everything necessary to get that woman back to her home country and then stop making hasty decisions and maybe avoid relationships until you can work on whatever personal struggles you are dealing with. This isn't a game.

You are right

Timeline
On 12/3/2018 at 2:12 PM, gregcrs2 said:

Actually, having a list....seems like a control freak thing!

Probably so. I didn't start this thread to prove what a good guy I am. I made a big mistake (several in fact) and I'm trying not to make an even worse one. By the way, she finds the amount of money I have offered to be quite generous. 

Filed: Other Timeline

There are many - men as well as women - who are willing to sell themselves quickly into a marriage in order to come to the US.  They take the risk willingly. I suspect if the US citizen were to state the intention to move to the foreign country, the relationship would end quickly with the potential partner on the prowl for another sponsor.

If a couple is really in love, where they live should not matter especially if the country is relatively safe. In fact, the areas many people are leaving are safer than US cities where immigrants are likely to settle.

So when I do not feel sorry for the termination of sponsorship or a breakup soon after the wedding, I figure both took a risk because each had something to gain. This is often true when two USCs marry as well but their breakups are less dramatic.

Many relationships are sincere and lasting ; unfortunately some are not.

Remember it is better to be single than married to the wrong person. Choose your life's partner well.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline
14 hours ago, PirateLiker said:

It's a good point and it's been mentioned to me by others. I don't see that happening, but I'm not clairvoyant, or even very smart. When I started this thread, I was ready to end it right then and had already told her. As suggested, if there was any hope of getting her job back, I wanted to make it so that she could keep that option open. She said there was no hope, a statement with which I disagreed. Nevertheless, I wasn't going to belabor the point. She was devastated by the news of my feelings. 

The next day I told her that if she wanted to stay and try, that we could do that. I said I didn't think there was a very good chance. She thought about it for a day and decided to give it a shot. So we are kind of playing house. I decided that if we split up after a couple of months, it will be harder than right now. But then I reasoned that when she looks back on this 5 years from now, it will be better if she has some memories of doing some fun things in the US.

She hooked up with some ex-pats today that showed her around a little, so that was cool. Things have been pleasant the last couple of days. 

I hope your notion of "hooking up" is not what the rest of the world knows as hooking up lol. 

Just end it right now. You know full well this isn't happening. She still has hope if she decided to stick around, so you have not explained it clearly enough.

I am sarcastically certain that she will have so many happy memories of the time she left everything and everyone behind and moved for a man who never wanted her in the first place but didn't bother making it clear enough.

16 hours ago, PirateLiker said:

I decided that if we split up after a couple of months, it will be harder than right now. But then I reasoned that when she looks back on this 5 years from now, it will be better if she has some memories of doing some fun things in the US.

I couldn't even try to tell you that you are ready for any kind of relationship even if a gun was held to my head.

You did exactly what you did before she came. You went over a deal breaker list, she checked some off, you just dealt with it while internally disliking it. You don't tell her that you don't want to do this anymore.
Then you tell her your feelings (that you want to break up) and within 24 hours REOPEN the door for her to stay and try to make the relationship work if SHE wants to try.  Will it be her fault when she's hurt after a few months? "Well I told you I didn't think it would work!"

And then you're just going to chalk this up to experience? The purpose of the K-1 visa is NOT to see if ya'll work out together, the purpose of marriage is NOT to see if ya'll work out together and neither of them are NOT to have fun memories in the US.

No one thinks your a good guy at this point, and honestly at this rate I don't think anyone could believe you're trying to make lesser mistakes because you can't even commit to breaking up with her. You're not being honest with her and now you are stringing her a long.

Do you still plan on marrying her? If she stays past her 90 days she will be out of status, she HAS to apply for AOS after marriage to at least have limbo status or she can be deportable. The worst part is, is that if ya'll married and went for AOS, it would be the USC that's the scammer!

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
14 hours ago, CEE53147 said:

If a couple is really in love, where they live should not matter

This is, unfortunately, a widely held belief that leads to many a doomed relationship.  The truth is, loving somebody doesn't compel you to live with them.  And deciding against living with somebody doesn't mean you don't love them.  Love isn't all you need. It's but one necessary ingredient for a happy marriage. 

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

@PirateLiker is she still in the USA, or has she gone home by now?  I'm hoping she has left if you two didn't work it out---prolonging her departure would have just made it all the more harder on both of you.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

As with the parallel thread on this topic, this thread is locked and is not to be reopened or referred to elsewhere.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.