Nnnnnn

Arrest but no charge

57 posts in this topic

I need a bigger phone screen!!!  This has been a bad day for me. Maybe I will stop posting for the night!

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 hours ago, Nnnnnn said:

There is another for drugs right? I haven’t ever taken drugs or anything like that, my concern of answering no would for them to argue the arrest by equally I’m not going to say yes to something I didn’t do.

almost thinking it would better to me to apply, state yes to arrest, explain situation and in process of asking local police to remove this record. 

What I don’t want is to do the wrong thing and get refused, but equally I have seen that drug offenses is a massive no entry. 

I was sort of under the impression of it did not appear on my police certificate then it wouldn’t need to be disclosed. I really am not sure and that is why I posted as I don’t want to put in jeopardy my approval. 

The ds-160 asks:

“Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty, or NO other similar action?”

It cannot be any clearer. You need to disclose your drug arrest.  Your assumption that the USA won’t find out because it happened in a foreign country is naive especially since that country is a close ally.  Disclosure won’t prevent you from getting a visa.  Concealment will eventually catch up with you. You might get your K1 but they might catch you when you do AOS. You might get your AOS and they will catch you during your green card processing. You might get your green card and they catch you on a renewal. You might get your renewal and they will catch you on your N-400. You might get naturalized and they will catch you later. 

This president will go back a 100 years, if he has  to, to catch you.  

Be smart.  

There might be questions.  Your foia stuff will be helpful.

It also asks:

“Are you or have you ever been a drug abuser or addict?”

Based on your representation here, the answer would be no.  

And there are two questions about controlled substance laws. One is asking you if have violated such a law and another is asking if you have a spouse or parent who violated such a law.  Again based on what you’ve said, the answer is no.  

Edited by Mike E

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Possession with Intent to Supply is a SERIOUS issue.

You need a Lawyer.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

35 minutes ago, kid1412 said:

Sorry, just couldn’t resist

Hopefully, in the future you can resist. 

To the OP:

Answer yes to the arrest and no to conviction of anything else. Don’t overthink this and always answer honestly.  I would also request interview sooner rather than later. Good luck!  

I've been Charged and Arrested for various driving offences over a period of time including DWLR lots of them were dismissed by the DA would this be a reason for denial at NOA2 or at the Embassy?

Edited by Thomas Reinhardt

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Nine derailing posts have been removed, and administrative action has been applied against one member's account for posting a word with an alternative character in order to bypass the site's word-filter.

Remain on the topics posted by the OP and the later inquirer.

TBoneTX

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

22 hours ago, John & Rose said:

You are the beneficiary?  There are no questions about your arrests, just the petitioners.  Your arrests will show (or not) on the PCC.  The arrest information is only for the petitioner.  Sorry about the confusion.  You are fine.  The law protects the beneficiary, not the petitioner! LOL

Whoa whoa whoa, no, not at all. 

The initial petition is only about the US citizen, yes. But that's because the foreign embassy handles the beneficiary's paperwork for the visa (in large part because the consular officers are trained in local laws etc. It is much more efficient to train the staff and one embassy one set of rules for the country they're serving in than to train ALL USCIS staff in the laws of ALL the countries they may encounter). And then comes adjustment of status in which USCIS gets its crack at it as well (after vetting by State)

The DS-160 has a very similar question on it (which is what OP here is concerned about) and then the AOS paperwork goes into significantly more detail and needs a LOT of evidence surrounding answering that question in the affirmative (over one page of instructions of what to submit for any given situation). And spousal visas require the beneficiary submitting their police records, no?

@Nnnnnn

I am not sure about the DS-160 as I don't have the language in front of me (and I think it has changed since we went through it)-- it is online only so I can't get a copy of the form myself. I am guessing they may expect that answer to be "yes". But most importantly, if you look at what they're going to ask you in AOS, it's pretty clear that THAT answer will be "yes"....

You need to look another step ahead which is applying for adjustment of status. Look here and click on "form" but most importantly the "instructions". Look at page 13 and 14 of the instructions and see what sort of evidence and paperwork they're going to need from you and make sure you bring it to the US when you move.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

5 minutes ago, Pennycat said:

Whoa whoa whoa, no, not at all. 

The initial petition is only about the US citizen, yes. But that's because the foreign embassy handles the beneficiary's paperwork for the visa (in large part because the consular officers are trained in local laws etc. It is much more efficient to train the staff and one embassy one set of rules for the country they're serving in than to train ALL USCIS staff in the laws of ALL the countries they may encounter). And then comes adjustment of status in which USCIS gets its crack at it as well (after vetting by State)

The DS-160 has a very similar question on it (which is what OP here is concerned about) and then the AOS paperwork goes into significantly more detail and needs a LOT of evidence surrounding answering that question in the affirmative (over one page of instructions of what to submit for any given situation). And spousal visas require the beneficiary submitting their police records, no?

@Nnnnnn

I am not sure about the DS-160 as I don't have the language in front of me (and I think it has changed since we went through it)-- it is online only so I can't get a copy of the form myself. I am guessing they may expect that answer to be "yes". But most importantly, if you look at what they're going to ask you in AOS, it's pretty clear that THAT answer will be "yes"....

You need to look another step ahead which is applying for adjustment of status. Look here and click on "form" but most importantly the "instructions". Look at page 13 and 14 of the instructions and see what sort of evidence and paperwork they're going to need from you and make sure you bring it to the US when you move.

My mistake.  I was under the impression that we were talking about the I-129f form itself.  There were three people yesterday who were and I made a bad assumption on this one.  My fault.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
24 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

My mistake.  I was under the impression that we were talking about the I-129f form itself.  There were three people yesterday who were and I made a bad assumption on this one.  My fault.

It's called thread piling on when a poster reacts before reading the entire thread and thus your subsequent realization.   No need to apologize 

YMMV

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

It's called thread piling on when a poster reacts before reading the entire thread and thus your subsequent realization.   No need to apologize 

This old dog learns from his mistakes...there were many learning moments yesterday.

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, John & Rose said:

This old dog learns from his mistakes...there were many learning moments yesterday.

Us old dogs need to hang together and make the younger pups understand the value gray hair (or in some cases little or no hair) has.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.