Greenbaum

October 2018 K-1 NOA2 ----> NVC

2,298 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
5 hours ago, Mahlerfanran said:

You are 100% correct and that's why I don't fight back when you get irritated with me or anybody else.   I'm feisty, but I know when I'm wrong.   And I know I'm worrying way too much.  We both are..   Snapping at each other, headaches, etc.   It is what it is.   I  usually handle pressure well, but this whole process has thoroughly kicked my ###.  I'm a mess.  I just miss my girl and we are so close, yet it seems so far.  I thought she was gonna be with me by next Saturday.  Oh well.   And yes, if I could wait a year for her, I can wait another 2 weeks.

I trust you man, you're a guru, so I feel 10000000% better and at ease now because of you.   And my girl will too.   I can relax now.   Thanks soothsayer, master of the immigration universe!  🤣🤣

I hear you, I feel in the same exact way 😪

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

ISSUED!!!!  

I want to book her flight for Saturday so bad.  But I'm being smart and not doing it.  I'm hearing Bogota takes 2-3 days after Issued.  

49 minutes ago, Mahlerfanran said:

ISSUED!!!!  

I want to book her flight for Saturday so bad.  But I'm being smart and not doing it.  I'm hearing Bogota takes 2-3 days after Issued.  

So, the visa gods were looking over you. Congratulations. Here is to smooth sailing with prevailing winds. :thumbs:

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

So, the visa gods were looking over you. Congratulations. Here is to smooth sailing with prevailing winds. :thumbs:

Thank you my friend.  You were the calming winds in a rocky ocean!

Just now, Mahlerfanran said:

Thank you my friend.  You were the calming winds in a rocky ocean!

I hate it when I am right. :rofl:

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
On 1/3/2019 at 5:50 PM, rye_212 said:

the system has stopped sending me email notifications of messages and timeline updates. Seems to have happened around 20th Dec.  This happen to anyone else?

email notifications seem to have resumed for me today. 

first met late 2016, met 13 more times since. Filed i-129 Apr 14th. NOA2 dated Oct 11th. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
On 1/11/2019 at 6:46 AM, Mahlerfanran said:

Hi guys, I'm back (I'm part of the October crew!)  I know this should go to the Colombia thread in the regional forum, but I don't speak spanish well and no one really answers.  So here it goes (Greenbaum, I PM'd you)

I'm so confused and my fiance isn't helping.   SO she had her interview today.   She gets to the window and the guy was nice enough, and they asked her a lot of questions:  where does your fiance work, his kids, where did we meet, etc.   Then he says he cannot give her the Visa today (which I knew they didn't do anyway) because the system is down, but I think everything is ok".   If I have more questions, I will email you.  The visa should arrive in 1 to 2 weeks.

They kept her passport and gave her the domestic abuse information paper and sexual abuse information hotline paper, but he never said the words "you are approved".  So we are confused.  Thoughts?  It seems obvious, I know, but the way she rambled in the audio....I dunno 

This happened to me too in the interview. I had to ask the girl, am I approved? She said yes. But at first she didnt say the words we are all expecting to hear. I was so confused too. Don’t worry. You will get your visa soon. 😁

15 minutes ago, SebastianOs said:

@Greenbaumhey sir, we just got married a few days ago, now I want to start preparing our papers for AOS and SSN. What are the things we need in order to start this?

AOS here: https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

SSN:

This is what works but you have to have all your "ducks" in a row including the SS document RM10211.530 to use in the event that the SS agent is unfamiliar with the regulations that permit you to have a SSN before your AOS and EAD are adjudicated.

As a K-1 Visa Holder you are eligible to receive a SSN upon producing a valid I-94 (unexpired). Do not wait until you only have a few weeks left until your I-94 expires to file for a SSN. Many SSA (Social Security Administration) offices will not allow you to file for a SSN if your I-94 is about to expire (generally 14 days prior to the expiration on your I-94). On the other hand, you should also not file for a SSN too soon either.

You should wait 1 week after arriving in the US till you are in the SAVE database that you can go the next business day. If you go too soon your record of arrival will not be in the SAVE-ASVI system yet (what is SAVE), and it will require manual verification from the USCIS. As this will add weeks to the period it takes to process the SSN, it is advisable to attempt to wait the two weeks to be safe. If you have waited the 2 weeks and they tell you they cannot verify your arrival record via the SAVE database, then personally return on another day to have them search again -- thus eliminating the manual verification (you don't want to do the manual verification as it adds so much more time to the process).

To apply for a SSN you will need to go to your local SSA office and bring the documents below. These documents are proof of your eligibility to file for a SSN:

The SS-5 form  download and complete the application (they have some at the office if you forget).

Your Passport (with the K-1 Visa attached)

Your valid I-94

Another form of valid ID (birth certificate will do nicely)

You should also print and bring the document RM 10211.530 , in the event that the agent is not knowledgeable that K-1/K-2 are eligible to receive a SSN.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

Make sure to bring all the documents above because some offices have staff that are not aware that a K-1 Visa Holder is eligible to file for a SSN. A friendly reminder is a nice thing to have -- if not you could be turned away incorrectly

Once you have successfully applied for your SSN, the SSN card will come in the mail in about 2 weeks.

K2 visa holders must first have a work permit (EAD) to get a social security number.

After marriage

Carry your marriage certificate to the social security office to get the social security card in the new name. If you applied for a social security number before marriage, you can go back to the social security office after marriage and get your name changed on your social security card.

The social security card will be marked “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH USCIS AUTHORIZATION”.  That means, you need to get your EAD first before you can actually work.  Hopefully, when you submitted your AOS you included the EAD. If not you will now need to submit the paperwork for an EAD prior to working.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

I’m the unluckiest person alive...

i had my interview today and I am approved but they had a system glitch and couldn’t verify my fingerprints with the oath.

i need to wait now until they fix this and then I have to come back but they couldn’t tell me how long this is gonna take. 

Embassy in Frankfurt (4 hour drive from where I live) 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
12 hours ago, Toastbear said:

I’m the unluckiest person alive...

i had my interview today and I am approved but they had a system glitch and couldn’t verify my fingerprints with the oath.

i need to wait now until they fix this and then I have to come back but they couldn’t tell me how long this is gonna take. 

Embassy in Frankfurt (4 hour drive from where I live) 

same thing happened to my friend.. that sucks, anyway, just follow what they said and you'll be good! Congrats

Just now, SebastianOs said:

same thing happened to my friend.. that sucks, anyway, just follow what they said and you'll be good! Congrats

How long did they take to fix this?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
17 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

AOS here: https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

SSN:

This is what works but you have to have all your "ducks" in a row including the SS document RM10211.530 to use in the event that the SS agent is unfamiliar with the regulations that permit you to have a SSN before your AOS and EAD are adjudicated.

As a K-1 Visa Holder you are eligible to receive a SSN upon producing a valid I-94 (unexpired). Do not wait until you only have a few weeks left until your I-94 expires to file for a SSN. Many SSA (Social Security Administration) offices will not allow you to file for a SSN if your I-94 is about to expire (generally 14 days prior to the expiration on your I-94). On the other hand, you should also not file for a SSN too soon either.

You should wait 1 week after arriving in the US till you are in the SAVE database that you can go the next business day. If you go too soon your record of arrival will not be in the SAVE-ASVI system yet (what is SAVE), and it will require manual verification from the USCIS. As this will add weeks to the period it takes to process the SSN, it is advisable to attempt to wait the two weeks to be safe. If you have waited the 2 weeks and they tell you they cannot verify your arrival record via the SAVE database, then personally return on another day to have them search again -- thus eliminating the manual verification (you don't want to do the manual verification as it adds so much more time to the process).

To apply for a SSN you will need to go to your local SSA office and bring the documents below. These documents are proof of your eligibility to file for a SSN:

The SS-5 form  download and complete the application (they have some at the office if you forget).

Your Passport (with the K-1 Visa attached)

Your valid I-94

Another form of valid ID (birth certificate will do nicely)

You should also print and bring the document RM 10211.530 , in the event that the agent is not knowledgeable that K-1/K-2 are eligible to receive a SSN.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

Make sure to bring all the documents above because some offices have staff that are not aware that a K-1 Visa Holder is eligible to file for a SSN. A friendly reminder is a nice thing to have -- if not you could be turned away incorrectly

Once you have successfully applied for your SSN, the SSN card will come in the mail in about 2 weeks.

K2 visa holders must first have a work permit (EAD) to get a social security number.

After marriage

Carry your marriage certificate to the social security office to get the social security card in the new name. If you applied for a social security number before marriage, you can go back to the social security office after marriage and get your name changed on your social security card.

The social security card will be marked “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH USCIS AUTHORIZATION”.  That means, you need to get your EAD first before you can actually work.  Hopefully, when you submitted your AOS you included the EAD. If not you will now need to submit the paperwork for an EAD prior to working.

Thank you sir! This will be a BIG help for us. But I have a concern, we live here in CA now and we just got married soon after my arrival here in MS, 1/9 - arrival and 1/12 - wedding. We already have our marriage cert on hand, but what concerns me is that some filers get rejected by applying SSN after marriage if without EAD.  We're planning to apply AOS maybe before or after this month. What do you think we should do? or any recommendations we should follow.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.