imane&islem

Why is my Naturalization processing taking longer than the others?

47 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hello everyone 

I applied, by mail, for my citizenship based on a 3years-marriage. I have already got my 10year green card. I got married in 2013 and entered the US in 2014. 

I mailed-in my application in May 2018, qnd had my fingerprints done on June 6th, 2018. 

I have noticed that there is a lot of people who have filed online and in the same uscis center ( Jacksonville, fl), have already got their interview scheduled, and within less/more than a month from the date of their biometrics appt. The surprising thing to me was that some of them have applied online a month or two after me and have already got their interview scheduled for September while my status is still under active review.. 

What could it be? To be honest, I am sure now that appliying online makes it much faster than offline...

Has anyone of you been or is in the same situation as mine? If so, for how long did you wait before getting an appt for the interview?

Check out my timeline.

I applied based off marriage (married for 6, been in the US for 5) and had a 10 year PR card. I applied for naturalization in April 2018 using the online process. Got fingerprints done in May, got an interview two months later, and then approved & did the oath just this month. The Center where I applied isn't as busy as the other big cities.

I would assume since yours is much bigger, that might be the cause for delay? Hopefully, it will be over soon!

Edited by ivyanddan

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Timeline
4 minutes ago, ivyanddan said:

Check out my timeline.

I applied based off marriage (married for 6, been in the US for 5) and had a 10 year PR card. I applied for naturalization in April 2018 using the online process. Got fingerprints done in May, got an interview two months later, and then approved & did the oath just this month. The Center where I applied isn't as busy as the other big cities.

I would assume since yours is much bigger, that might be the cause for delay? Hopefully, it will be over soon!

Thank you so much for your reply!

It is true that Jacksonville is a big city, but like I said, There is alot of people who have applied in the same field office as mine here  in Jacksonville about a month or two after me and they are already scheduled for the interview in September.. That's what is annoying me and got me  kinda worried a little bit.. 

20 minutes ago, imane&islem said:

Hello everyone 

I applied, by mail, for my citizenship based on a 3years-marriage. I have already got my 10year green card. I got married in 2013 and entered the US in 2014. 

I mailed-in my application in May 2018, qnd had my fingerprints done on June 6th, 2018. 

I have noticed that there is a lot of people who have filed online and in the same uscis center ( Jacksonville, fl), have already got their interview scheduled, and within less/more than a month from the date of their biometrics appt. The surprising thing to me was that some of them have applied online a month or two after me and have already got their interview scheduled for September while my status is still under active review.. 

What could it be? To be honest, I am sure now that appliying online makes it much faster than offline...

Has anyone of you been or is in the same situation as mine? If so, for how long did you wait before getting an appt for the interview?

Unfortunately processing time even in same office can vary. They could still be doing security checks or name checks on you for some reason, or your file hasn’t made it to the office for some reason. 

I filed in February and there were two filers from my office, one in January and one also in February.  The other Feb filer took slightly longer to get an interview date than us other two. And after interview, the Jan filer got his oath scheduled 11 days after interview, I got mine 26 days after and the other Feb filer is 65 days post interview and she still doesn’t have her oath letter.  So it’s not necessarily going to be same amount of time just because you’re in the same office. 

Edited by CTgal18

🇺🇸N-400 Timeline🇺🇸 

2/02/18 Filed Online 

2/02/18 Application Received 

2/03/18 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled

2/20/18 Biometrics Completed

5/04/18 Interview Scheduled

6/14/18 Interview (Approved)

7/10/18 Oath Ceremony Scheduled

7/26/18 Oath Ceremony

U.S. Citizen as of July 26, 2018! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline
6 minutes ago, love_my_wife said:

I guess, your country of origin "Algeria" could have to do with the delay in your case.

Wouldn't that be profiling?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Prawninator said:

It could be.. But I think applying online is faster.. I have seen some other applicants from similar country category  or even worse having thei application processed faster.. I just wanted to see whether there are some of you who have been or are in the same situation and how long it took them before hearing anything back from USCIS. Thanks for your reply. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline
15 minutes ago, imane&islem said:

It could be.. But I think applying online is faster.. I have seen some other applicants from similar country category  or even worse having thei application processed faster.. I just wanted to see whether there are some of you who have been or are in the same situation and how long it took them before hearing anything back from USCIS. Thanks for your reply. 

To be perfectly honest, from what I've noticed, an online application DOES seem to be processed quicker than hardcopy application, regardless of country of origin. Don't lose hope!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Prawninator said:

To be perfectly honest, from what I've noticed, an online application DOES seem to be processed quicker than hardcopy application, regardless of country of origin. Don't lose hope!

Thank you for your supportive reply! I am going overseas very soon and was hoping to get it done before I leave so that I don't have to reschedule it if they ever schedule me.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

You’ve only been waiting a couple months..that is nothing. I don’t think anyone can tell any rhyme or reason how things get processed. Appears sometimes it is just luck of the draw. As long as you meet the requirements for citizenship it will happen sooner or later. Don’t worry!

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
4 hours ago, Prawninator said:

If security of the USA is your definition of profiling, then yes.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

It depends on the city that it is filed in, together with numerous security checks. I just got my ROC 10 Year GC, also without an interview. My AOS also was without an interview. Yet, I am being told there is a 10 month delay. 

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline

Look, the handful of people who post here from your field office are not representative of the overall pool of applicants.  USCIS publishes aggregate statistics on processing times and according to the website it takes 6.5 months to process 50% of applications in Jacksonville, FL, and 13 months to go through the rest.  You applied in May, which is only three months ago.  You're not falling behind.  You'd still be about average if you heard in November or December. 

3 minutes ago, CarlHamilton said:

Look, the handful of people who post here from your field office are not representative of the overall pool of applicants.  USCIS publishes aggregate statistics on processing times and according to the website it takes 6.5 months to process 50% of applications in Jacksonville, FL, and 13 months to go through the rest.  You applied in May, which is only three months ago.  You're not falling behind.  You'd still be about average if you heard in November or December. 

Don't go by processing time. That's information from 60 days back. They  may publish 6.5 months but they may be processing at better or worse speed today. 

I applied in June 2017. Only got naturalized in June 2018 .and I was not even from a “country” being checked, you haven’t waited that long to be honest. There are states like Tennessee where it takes longer. 

04-04-2012- I-130 filed at Seoul US embassy $420
04-19-2012- I-130 Approved(15 days)!!! Receive Case number and Packet 3.
05-03-2012 - Medical examination at Seoul St.Mary's Hospital(Passed) $170
05-05-2012 - Set Interview date for June 15
06-15-2012 - Interview (Approved) Case completed in 74 days! Could have been shorter!
06-18-2012 - Receive visa + brown envelope.
07-19-2012 - POE(Honolulu, Hawaii)
07-24-2012 - Receive SSN
07-29-2012 - Receive 2 year conditional Green card
08-02-2012 - Apply for State ID: Get 6-year Tennessee state ID.
03-22-2013 - Do written test at DMV for drivers license. Get 1-year Learner permit.
03-28-2013 - Pass drivers license test. Get 5 year drivers license. Done with the DMV until 2018!

Next step - Removal of conditions on green card: May 2014.

04-30-2014 Filed I-751 to remove conditions

05-05-2014 NOA1 receipt and extension of green card for 1 more year while it processes.

06-12-2014 Biometric Appointment

12-29-2014 Approval letter from USCIS with no interview needed! Done with USCIS till 2024 or when I apply for US citizenship. 

12-30-2014 Receives 10 year permanent green card.

Naturalization Process: 

06-29-2017 N400 filed 

07-05-2017 Check cashed 

07-11-2017 Received biometric appointment

07-12-2017 NOA 1 receipt 

07-26-2017 Biometric appointment 

09-13-2017 Case in line for interview 

04-23-2018 Interview (Memphis, N 400)  Passed!  Recommended for approval. 

05-24-2018 Oath ceremony notice was mailed. 

05-29-2018 Oath letter received. Date set: June 21st, 2018

06-21-2018 Oath ceremony: I am a US citizen. Done with USCIS (Day 332) 

Passport application:

06-22-2018 Apply for US passport and passport card 

06-27-2018 Passport application received and in progress. (Day 5)

07-11-2018 Passport and passport card mailed out. Expecting it by 7-17-2018. (Day 18)

07-13-2018 Passport book received.  (Day 20)

07-16-2018 Passport card and naturalization certificate received. (Day 23). 

Process complete: Time to start traveling.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.