imane&islem

Why is my Naturalization processing taking longer than the others?

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guinea
Timeline
34 minutes ago, shadyzee said:

lets make you feel better , I applied on may 2017 , FP June 2016 , by mail , under 3 years rules and I didn't even get my interview scheduled yet . hope that will make you feel better about your case lol 

chin up

Wow that's a long time, which processing center is this?

Citizenship Journey:

(Month 1)-   N-400 sent: 12/20/17

(Month 2)-   Fingerprints: 01/11/18

(Month 8)-   Interview: 07/30/18

(Month 9)-   Oath Ceremony: 08/23/18

Officially a U.S. Citizen!

The background checks through the FBI can vary greatly in how long they take. Regardless of country of origin or anything like that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guinea
Timeline
2 hours ago, love_my_wife said:

OP already mentioned in his post that he is from Jacksonville, FL....

I was referring to the previous commentor @shadyzee. 14 months seems like a long wait, especially for a marriage based GC.

Citizenship Journey:

(Month 1)-   N-400 sent: 12/20/17

(Month 2)-   Fingerprints: 01/11/18

(Month 8)-   Interview: 07/30/18

(Month 9)-   Oath Ceremony: 08/23/18

Officially a U.S. Citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Geez. Can we not negate someone's frustration by playing the "Who's Waited Longer" game? That happens so much on here and it doesn't really solve anything.

OP - with that being said, I definitely would not try to worry, unless or until you actually surpass average waiting times. I think like every part of this entire process, when it comes to waiting in line to be reviewed, there is no rhyme or reason to it. It doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong or holding up your case; it could just be a matter of your case landing on someone's desk/queue that works slower than others, or has more complicated cases to review in front of yours. The different field offices also vary in service levels due to a variety of reasons, such as case load and amount of applicants versus other offices.

Hang in there! This is the LAST FINISH LINE you have to cross!!

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

16 hours ago, imane&islem said:

Hello everyone 

I applied, by mail, for my citizenship based on a 3years-marriage. I have already got my 10year green card. I got married in 2013 and entered the US in 2014. 

I mailed-in my application in May 2018, qnd had my fingerprints done on June 6th, 2018. 

I have noticed that there is a lot of people who have filed online and in the same uscis center ( Jacksonville, fl), have already got their interview scheduled, and within less/more than a month from the date of their biometrics appt. The surprising thing to me was that some of them have applied online a month or two after me and have already got their interview scheduled for September while my status is still under active review.. 

What could it be? To be honest, I am sure now that appliying online makes it much faster than offline...

Has anyone of you been or is in the same situation as mine? If so, for how long did you wait before getting an appt for the interview?

About 72 days in Jacksonville for me this year.

I filed online and sent it in March had certificate in hand in May. 

Edited by Rusty72

1 hour ago, Paul & Mallory said:

Geez. Can we not negate someone's frustration by playing the "Who's Waited Longer" game? That happens so much on here and it doesn't really solve anything.

OP - with that being said, I definitely would not try to worry, unless or until you actually surpass average waiting times. I think like every part of this entire process, when it comes to waiting in line to be reviewed, there is no rhyme or reason to it. It doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong or holding up your case; it could just be a matter of your case landing on someone's desk/queue that works slower than others, or has more complicated cases to review in front of yours. The different field offices also vary in service levels due to a variety of reasons, such as case load and amount of applicants versus other offices.

Hang in there! This is the LAST FINISH LINE you have to cross!!

A good post. I am in the same situation. Folks in my field office who filed after me, are getting interviews scheduled. I tried and found out that my background checks are done last month. Still over a month and no interviews. So it's not background check for sure in my case. 

Biggest problem is there is no way to contact USCIS and try to resolve this issue. You can only do so if you are outside processing time frame (which can be as much as a year from now). That scares people. It worries them (do I need to wait for a year to even ask USCIS to look into it?). We all have lives to live, families to feed, places to go (sometimes due to responsibility, not just for enjoyment) and this unnecessary stress. When you have information that people around your filing timeframe are getting called for interview, your application is ready for interview and nothing is happening for you, you just can't plan for few months in advance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Sam Kam said:

A good post. I am in the same situation. Folks in my field office who filed after me, are getting interviews scheduled. I tried and found out that my background checks are done last month. Still over a month and no interviews. So it's not background check for sure in my case. 

Biggest problem is there is no way to contact USCIS and try to resolve this issue. You can only do so if you are outside processing time frame (which can be as much as a year from now). That scares people. It worries them (do I need to wait for a year to even ask USCIS to look into it?). We all have lives to live, families to feed, places to go (sometimes due to responsibility, not just for enjoyment) and this unnecessary stress. When you have information that people around your filing timeframe are getting called for interview, your application is ready for interview and nothing is happening for you, you just can't plan for few months in advance.

That is exactly what's bothering me.. I have a trip overseas, and will stay for a while. I just don't want them to call me for interview while I am outside the US and reschedule it at the end.. My mom had a serious surgery, and I couldn't go visit her because of this, especially that I heard of those who have had their interview scheduled. 

I am gonna give up on waiting, and just pretend that I did not apply, till I see some update notification in my email.

I would highly recommend people who are planning on applying anytime soon, at least at my field office (Jacksonville, Fl) to apply ONLINE .. I know for sure now that they do process them a lot faster.. within one month from you bio appt you get scheduled for an appt. 

Timeline
11 hours ago, CarlHamilton said:

Look, the handful of people who post here from your field office are not representative of the overall pool of applicants.  USCIS publishes aggregate statistics on processing times and according to the website it takes 6.5 months to process 50% of applications in Jacksonville, FL, and 13 months to go through the rest.  You applied in May, which is only three months ago.  You're not falling behind.  You'd still be about average if you heard in November or December. 

Thank for your reply :)

I will be overseas in Nov through Feb.. So I am giving up.. 

34 minutes ago, imane&islem said:

That is exactly what's bothering me.. I have a trip overseas, and will stay for a while. I just don't want them to call me for interview while I am outside the US and reschedule it at the end.. My mom had a serious surgery, and I couldn't go visit her because of this, especially that I heard of those who have had their interview scheduled. 

I am gonna give up on waiting, and just pretend that I did not apply, till I see some update notification in my email.

I would highly recommend people who are planning on applying anytime soon, at least at my field office (Jacksonville, Fl) to apply ONLINE .. I know for sure now that they do process them a lot faster.. within one month from you bio appt you get scheduled for an appt. 

I hope your mom feels better and you spend quality time with your family. I hope your process is done before you leave in November. 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Sam Kam said:

I hope your mom feels better and you spend quality time with your family. I hope your process is done before you leave in November. 

Thank you very much nd good luck to everyone :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

A lot of us are still waiting. 😩 I filed my N400 in July 2017, had my biometrics in August 2017, and I haven’t heard anything since then. 

All we can do is wait. ❤️

Edited by VenomousSwan

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Tunisia
Timeline
19 hours ago, imane&islem said:

Hello everyone 

I applied, by mail, for my citizenship based on a 3years-marriage. I have already got my 10year green card. I got married in 2013 and entered the US in 2014. 

I mailed-in my application in May 2018, qnd had my fingerprints done on June 6th, 2018. 

I have noticed that there is a lot of people who have filed online and in the same uscis center ( Jacksonville, fl), have already got their interview scheduled, and within less/more than a month from the date of their biometrics appt. The surprising thing to me was that some of them have applied online a month or two after me and have already got their interview scheduled for September while my status is still under active review.. 

What could it be? To be honest, I am sure now that appliying online makes it much faster than offline...

Has anyone of you been or is in the same situation as mine? If so, for how long did you wait before getting an appt for the interview?

well i can tell you from my experience...I filed in September of 2017 did my finger prints in October 2018 and i just got scheduled for interview few days shy of one year..... my field office used to process n400 in 3 mth or unders now it take about a year or more.

Does filing the N400 online really have that big of an advantage over those who filed by mail? From what i have heard, it can only expedite the process of getting your biometrics appointment. I filed by mail and was able to get my biometrics completed 20 days after i mailed off my packet. Any thoughts??

Edited by Lj0521

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.