King-north

Trump proposal would make it harder for legal immigrants to gain citizenship (merged)

207 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, EM_Vandaveer said:

Again, tests or no tests, your grandma was let in without having to pay thousands of dollars & having to have work skills and an employer lined up. Today's economic migrants cannot do what your grandma was allowed to do.

I know. 

I used to think it was unfair. I dreamed of moving to another country when I was younger just to experience a new place and meet new people. Unfortunately, I didn't have a lot in savings and no one would hire me to give me a visa.

Now that I've been through the process, I understand why. They want skilled workers, ones that will contribute and be an asset to society. Can't say that I blame them.

Edited by Jaquelly
typo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
21 minutes ago, EM_Vandaveer said:

Obamacare isn't welfare. I had CHIP Perinatal for two pregnancies as a LPR. Naturalized without any problems.

Unemployment isn't welfare.

The point is that they are planning to redefine what constitutes as welfare, thereby penalizing everyone who legally used those programs

Do not think that the government can pass a law that would hold up in court that will punish people now for what was legal in the past. 

They would have to start it when the new law would take effect, so anyone just starting the visa journey after it was put in to place could have a problem. 

Our Timeline AOS Timeline

10/24/13 - Met online 04/30/16 - Sent AOS Forms I-864, I-485, I-765, I-131, G-325a, G-1145 with check

01/16/14 - Fell in love online 05/07/16 - Received text & email with case#

05/03/14 - Met for first time - He went to England 05/09/16 - Check cashed for $1,070.00

08/07/14 - She came to USA 1st time 05/13/16 - Received NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765

12/28/14 - She came to USA 2nd time 06/03/16 - Biometrics Appointment

02/10/15 - Officially engaged at the Grand Canyon 08/01/16 - Email & Text saying I-131 & I-765 Approved

04/27/15 - She came to USA 3rd time 08/06/16 - Received letters of approval for I-131 & !765

07/14/15 - She came to USA 4th time 08/12/16 - Received Combo card in US mail!

10/14/16 - Received RFE for proof of marriage

K1 VISA Timeline 10/15/16 - Sent in RFE paperwork

09/23/15 - Sent info to Rapid Visa 10/19/16 - Received text - AOS APPROVED!!!!

10/13/15 - Conformation from USCIS - NOA1 10/22/16 - Received hard copy of I-485 approval

11/06/15 - I-129F Approved! via USCIS Website! 10/22/16 - Received text - Your 2 year Greed card has mailed

11/13/15 - Received hard copy in mail - NOA2 10/25/16 - Received Green Card in the mail! - Yahoooo!

11/23/15 - Received by NVC (called on 24th)

11/24/15 - Called NVC and got LND#

11/30/15 - Case status at NVC: READY!

01/12/16 - Medical completed!

01/23/16 - Packet 4 received

01/27/16 - Interview - APPROVED!

02/05/16 - Visa In Hand

02/11/16 - POE - Ohio

04/02/16 - Wedding - Yahooo!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline
2 minutes ago, BeccaM said:

The point is that they are planning to redefine what constitutes as welfare, thereby penalizing everyone who legally used those programs

Yes, that's completely ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, crazyworld said:

Do not think that the government can pass a law that would hold up in court that will punish people now for what was legal in the past. 

They would have to start it when the new law would take effect, so anyone just starting the visa journey after it was put in to place could have a problem. 

This.^^^^

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
3 hours ago, King-north said:

Dont you love how those of us who believe immigrants should be treated humanely anf fairly are suddenly being branded "open border advocates" by this current administration?

1 minute ago, Chris&Ale said:

Dont you love how those of us who believe immigrants should be treated humanely anf fairly are suddenly being branded "open border advocates" by this current administration?

Don't you love when you post something twice just to try to start an argument? No one thinks that anyone are open border advocates. I think this is actually one of the least heated and most thought provoking discussions I've seen that are politically based on the website in a while.

Edited by Jaquelly
a word

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
1 hour ago, AmelieAino said:

The posted article is just a snippet, there are others with more content. Are people glossing over the line about legal immigrants being hindered from obtaining legal status if they took care of their US CITIZEN family members/children with public assistance? How does that make sense?

This is just continuing the attack on the poor and vulnerable. This administration is trying to chip away at legal immigration, not actually reform it in a sensible way, and people pretend it's supposed to be a victory. This should absolutely be concerning for everyone. We need to take care of each other as a society, and provide support to those who can't take care of themselves - not become heartless and lack empathy, saying "every man for himself" or "just try harder". This is a symptom of much bigger problems in the USA.

If this administration doesn't concern you, you simply aren't paying enough attention.

The thing that concerns me about this is that even if our foreign spouses come here with the greatest of intentions to work, what if we go through a huge recession again like in 2008 when no matter how hard you tried you couldn't even scrape up a retail job at times?  

I know things have gotten better since then with the economy but you never know.  Even the hardest working permanent resident could end up on hard times just as an American citizen during a deep recession.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Savannahalexandra said:

I'm confused here. Based off of this article, I, a US Citizen from birth, was on obamacare for a few years when I was in college since it was REQUIRED. I couldn't work and had no other health care options since I was older than 26 and no longer allowed on my parent's health care. 

My husband is now up for his green card renewal from the 2 year temporary one to the 10 year one. If he ever wants to become a citizen, will he not be able to do it because the government TOLD ME i had to be on obamacare and now he gets punished for it? That sounds ###-backwards. 

Obamacare is not a public charge.

1 minute ago, Chris&Ale said:

It's amazing to find people on here who have brought spouses and other family members here but at the same time, seem to support politicians who are anti-immigrant and who are trying to make it more and more difficult for our loved ones to legally immigrate to be with us.

Do you guys not realize that those same politicians would like to prevent your loved ones from immigrating here or naturalizing as well? Of course, typical conservative response: I've got mine; so crew you and your family.

The government represents us and should work better for us. It's insane to have to wait years for fiance and then AOS applications to be processed. Some European countries are able to have it completed in about 3 months.

You can quote me directly instead of being inflammatory.

I have made it clear that I do not support Donald Trump or his administration.

Immigrating to America is not a right, it is a privilege, as it would be for any country. It should work better for us, but blaming that entirely on JUST this president is foolish and a poor way to look at the situation.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Jaquelly said:

Don't you love when you post something twice just to try to start an argument? No one thinks that anyone are open border advocates. I think this is actually one of the least heated and most thought provoking discussions I've seen that are politically based on the website in a while.

In the article, the USCIS Representative used that term. I was quoting him but I've also heard the term used in conservative media to refer to people who fall to the left on immigration issues.