Shelby662hp

Expedite request USCIS

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

All,

I just want to share some info for all of the people who say not to even try to do expedite request.  I applied for one even after all said 99.9% chance will not get approved.  I even have an attorney who also said it is very hard.  Despite all of the negative advice I did one anyway.  I applied for financial hardship.  I typed up my case and sent the evidence.  Two weeks later approved.  My claim was only at USCIS for around 50 days.  We started all of this February 23 of 2018 and today (July 11 2018) we got visa approval from interview.  Nothing is worth not trying.  Yes it is hard and can be denied but what harm is there in trying.  I did mine on financial hardship. I was able to show that I would lose a lot of money if I could not get this visa approved during the summer.  Words of wisdom to all "The only stupid question is the one not asked". Good luck all...

I mean.. You did your visa process in like 7 months, which seems pretty average time for K1 anyway. Even without an expedite.

But congrats.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

That's fantastic news, and I know very relieving. To be fair, however; most people who give advice like you're referencing are not necessarily trying to hem you up or be inconsiderate. Most people here are always going to give realistic and practical expectations and reasonable opinions, which is what you were given. Ultimately, no one can ever give a concrete "yes or no" to most questions, and it's still essentially up to the person asking the questions to decide what to do. Fortunately in your situation, that panned out very well for you and that's great. I would say you are very lucky in your timing, perhaps, and that outcome would not necessarily happen for everyone in your position. But it is inspiring to others in similar, or worse situations, to know there is sometimes a positive outcome - that does encourage people to exhaust all options before giving up.

Congratulations!

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Timeline

Paul & Mallory,

I know not all situations are the same. I am simply trying to let people know if you love the person nothing is worth not trying.  Don't get me wrong every situation is different.  Yes it worked for me but might not for others but try if you feel you meet the criteria.  

Timeline

Yes I agree and those will be dismissed at USCIS.  It won't affect the rest of us.  The expedite request goes to the agent with your case.  I just think every case is different thats all.  For instance if someone is hinging on the poverty line already which sucks but can happen. Even the smallest amount is considered severe financial loss.  To take a leave of absence to attend interview then yes it will be denied as he or she doesn't need to attend.  I did mine so that my timeline for interview was during summer.  because I am off during summer.  It was approved.  Yes there are more details but USCIS can deem what they see fits the criteria.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline

I applied twice for expedite and was denied. I used financial and medical as the reasons for expedite. Both times I gave evidence from my job written letters from my doctors and was denied both times. I think it depends on the officer reviewing your case imo

Congrats on the approval!

Every case is unique and if one believes they meet the expedite criteria then it makes sense to request it. Nobody knows what the result will be until they make a decision. I'm not sure who told you you wouldn't qualify (your past posts only indicate an approval...nothing about requesting one), so I can't speak to why somebody would say 99.9% you wouldn't qualify.

3 hours ago, Shelby662hp said:

Yes I agree and those will be dismissed at USCIS.  It won't affect the rest of us.  The expedite request goes to the agent with your case.

It does affect others that do need an expedite, though. I think that was the point. For instance, there is a significant backlog of EAD expedite requests right now...it's not unusual for a response to take several weeks anymore as a result.

The expedite request goes to an officer. If approved, then the case goes to the IO handling your petition.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
7 hours ago, Shelby662hp said:

All,

I just want to share some info for all of the people who say not to even try to do expedite request.  I applied for one even after all said 99.9% chance will not get approved.  I even have an attorney who also said it is very hard.  Despite all of the negative advice I did one anyway.  I applied for financial hardship.  I typed up my case and sent the evidence.  Two weeks later approved.  My claim was only at USCIS for around 50 days.  We started all of this February 23 of 2018 and today (July 11 2018) we got visa approval from interview.  Nothing is worth not trying.  Yes it is hard and can be denied but what harm is there in trying.  I did mine on financial hardship. I was able to show that I would lose a lot of money if I could not get this visa approved during the summer.  Words of wisdom to all "The only stupid question is the one not asked". Good luck all...

What a blessing! So happy for you one step CLOSER!!! 

The start of our K1 Visa Journey from Cuba to Miami

6/14/2018             NOA1 Receipt Date

6/19/2018             NOA1 Notice Date

11/26/2018           NOA2 Notice Date

11/27/2018           NOA2 Approval received via USCIS Case Tracker! 

11/30/2018           NOA2 Hardcopy Received in Mail

12/03/2018           NVC Received Case

12/13/2018           NVC Case # Received

12/27/2018           Case received & Intv Given by Guyana Embassy

01/23/2019           Interview Scheduled 

1/29/2019             Entered the US through Miami, FL 

2/26/2019             Married in Miami! 

3/13/2019             Sent in I-485 - AOS

5/31/2019             Interview Scheduled 

7/2/2019               Approval notice via USCIS App! 

7/10/2019            GC Received! 

Best Regards,

Monica Alfonso

13 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

Congrats on the approval and thanks for the update.

My only concern is the "doesn't hurt to give it a try" sentiment is that it may lead to an increase amount of frivolous requests. There is a guy who posted this week claiming his reason for expedite for financial loss is because he wanted to take a leave of absence from his job to go spend time with his fiance in her country. When, in fact, it is a personal decision to stop working.

I definitely agree with your point. Let’s not do more to slow down the USCIS process.  Too many unnecessary expedited requests will only increase the time for the rest of us.  Please, people!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 7/11/2018 at 12:04 PM, Shelby662hp said:

All,

You are very correct good luck to you as you continue your journey

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
On 7/11/2018 at 1:16 PM, geowrian said:

Congrats on the approval!

Every case is unique and if one believes they meet the expedite criteria then it makes sense to request it. Nobody knows what the result will be until they make a decision. I'm not sure who told you you wouldn't qualify (your past posts only indicate an approval...nothing about requesting one), so I can't speak to why somebody would say 99.9% you wouldn't qualify.

It does affect others that do need an expedite, though. I think that was the point. For instance, there is a significant backlog of EAD expedite requests right now...it's not unusual for a response to take several weeks anymore as a result.

The expedite request goes to an officer. If approved, then the case goes to the IO handling your petition.

I agree. And the same with Emergency Advance Parole, people are applying for really stupid reasons. The last one I saw was a guy who had booked a ticket to go home and is now using his sick mother (not dying) as an excuse to not lose out on the money for the ticket.

On 7/11/2018 at 7:09 AM, JayHouser said:

I applied twice for expedite and was denied. I used financial and medical as the reasons for expedite. Both times I gave evidence from my job written letters from my doctors and was denied both times. I think it depends on the officer reviewing your case imo

Did USCIS tell you that your request was denied? Because I also applied for expedite and submitted the required evidence after they requested from me but I didn't get any response.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline
24 minutes ago, H Al said:

Did USCIS tell you that your request was denied? Because I also applied for expedite and submitted the required evidence after they requested from me but I didn't get any response.

Yes it updated on the old website and an email was sent with a generic response

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.