Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello

Me and my fiance´applieed in July for the K1, and Im planning to visit him on Dec 10th -19th. I´ve been already in the staets twice this year. First time in april for 14 days, and than again 8 days in June ( thats when we got engaged). And i used to be an Au-pair from july 07- July 09.

I already bought my ticket, now I´m freaked out about the chance they´ll turn my away at POE.I will enter the States at JFK and than fly to SFO.

I thought about bringing, my contract from work, my lease contract, bank statements, a statement that i´ve to pay of my leptop until next year June, and a appionment slip from my doctor that i´ve an appiontment on the 21st, oh and of course a copy of the NOA1.

Do you think that will be enough to proof them, that I´m not intenting on staying. I think there is no gurantee, but I miss my love so much and this visa process takes so long.

And another thing,on my trip In June this year, I didn´t have the green paper in my passport, even though I filled it out, The Officer at POE didn´t put it in. Could that give me a problem? I read they stop working with the green paper (I-94W)

Any help and advice is highly appriciated

Thank u

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I wanted to chime in with my experience. My husband and I have been married for 2 years come April. I do not have a job and don't intend on getting one until I am in the USA. I had a job in Canada as did my husband. We both lost it because of economic downturn and my husband had to return to the USA to find a job (he was on a temp work visa in Canada). He found a job and as such we began our visa journey. When I'm in canada I live with my parents, when I'[m in the US I live with my husband.

I go to visit for months at a time all except one time has involved myself going into the Immigration offices. Both times I've gone in I was greeted with the fear of being denied. My primary problem was proof of ties to Canada which in all honesty I had none. When the officer asked me how he knows that I won't stay I simply responded in a very polite manner "Sir the only evidence I can provide you with is my word. We have been going back and forth for a while now and every time I said I'd come back I did. That is the best word I can give you is the fact that I've always come back." The last time we crossed we weren't asked any length of stay questions so that really helped alleviate the worry.

You can get across even if you don't have proof of ties to Canada. It is tough and understandably the officers don't have a whole lot to go off of. Be honest that's the best advice. They can tell when you're being genuine and truthful. Both officers while hesitant (again understandable) wrote me a visitors visa for a month and we were on our way. I just wanted others out there to know that even if you don't have proof it is possible to get across. Next time I will be bringing a bank slip to show I do live here (canada). Fingers crossed the process won't be that much longer.

Cheers

04/18/2009: When two became one

USCIS

03/04/2010: Submitted I-130

06/29/2010: NOA2

NVC

09/02/2010: 1-864 & IV Paid

10/16/2010: 1-864 delivered to NVC

10/27/2010: IV Package delivered to NVC

11/18/2010: AVR "Case Complete" at the NVC

02/14/2011: Medical

02/23/2011: Interview APPROVED!!!!

03/04/2011: Visa Recieved

03/04/2011: POE: Lewiston Bridge, Buffalo, NY

ROC

01/12/2013: I-751 Packet Submitted

01/14/2013: I-751 Packet Received (via certified mail)

01/18/2013: NOA1 Letter Received

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Crossed again at the Fort Erie POE and had no issues. This is the second time we've crossed there. One time the Officer didn't even ask how long I was staying. Second time (just this past weekend) the officer asked and let me through no problems. At the buffalo (Queeston Lewiston POE) I've had to go in to the immigration offices both times we crossed and be issued a I94.

04/18/2009: When two became one

USCIS

03/04/2010: Submitted I-130

06/29/2010: NOA2

NVC

09/02/2010: 1-864 & IV Paid

10/16/2010: 1-864 delivered to NVC

10/27/2010: IV Package delivered to NVC

11/18/2010: AVR "Case Complete" at the NVC

02/14/2011: Medical

02/23/2011: Interview APPROVED!!!!

03/04/2011: Visa Recieved

03/04/2011: POE: Lewiston Bridge, Buffalo, NY

ROC

01/12/2013: I-751 Packet Submitted

01/14/2013: I-751 Packet Received (via certified mail)

01/18/2013: NOA1 Letter Received

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Crossed again at the Fort Erie POE and had no issues. This is the second time we've crossed there. One time the Officer didn't even ask how long I was staying. Second time (just this past weekend) the officer asked and let me through no problems. At the buffalo (Queeston Lewiston POE) I've had to go in to the immigration offices both times we crossed and be issued a I94.

Thanks for the update!

K1 Timeline:

9.10.10 - Mailed I-129F

9.14.10 - Received in Dallas, signed for by L. Walker.

9.20.10 - Check cashed

2.7.11 - NOA2 via email

3.31.11 - Medical interview

4.4.11 - Mailed packet 3 and paid visa fee

4.26.11 - Visa interview appointment, 9am

4.26.11 - Visa APPROVED!!!

5.4.11 - Visa delivered

5.25.11 - POE: Chicago

6.5.11 - Wedding in Omaha

AOS:

6.18.11 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

6.20.11 - Received in Chicago/check cashed

6.27.11 - NOA1 recieved for all three (AOS/EAD/AP)

7.26.11 - Biometrics appointment, 2pm

8.4.11 - Transfered to CSC

8.11.11 - EAD approved!!! (checked website)

9.14.11 - Green card approved!! (checked website)

9.19.11 - Green card in hand. Nothing further until 9/1/13!

"Absence is to love as wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small and kindles the great."

• 1 month later...

Hello all, since I travelled to the States a few weeks ago for the second time during this process, I thought I'd give an update. The first time I entered was last August (the whole story is somewhere in this topic). Our petition had been sent in a month or so earlier, so we were at the stage on NOA1-NOA2. I told the officer I was staying with my fiance, yes, he was a US citizen, we were in the K1 process. That was all he needed, he let me through.

I went through Chicago O'Hare at the end of December. I was one of the first at customs (it was obviously a slow day). Since we were now at the stage where we had an interview date and were nearing the end of the process, I was a little nervous they would make an issue out of it. I told the officer I was here to visit my fiance... and he launched into a chatty conversation about how I seemed too young to be getting married, how many times he'd been married, was I sure I wanted to marry this man (it didn't seem like he was interrogating me, just that he was bored and wanted to chat). I had brought the I-129f forms and interview letter with me, but he waved me on without asking any other questions.

All in all, I have to say that traveling to the US while on the K1 train has been painless, even though I never had proper ties to my home country (no job, no lease, no school enrollment). It's terrifying to do, but as long as you're honest and confident that you know you don't plan to misbehave, go for it!

I haven't one to the U.S. yet while the I-129F was pending since we just filed last week after my last visit, but I made the strange experience last year that every crossing of the border was actually easier the more I visited, and initially I had have figured I would be the other way around.

I visited my fiancé for the first time for two weeks in March 2010, before that I hadn't been to the U.S. in 3 years (back then I didn't know him, went on a 5 day post-graduation NYC trip with my mom). I landed at Newark and the CO didn't even look at me but asked all sorts of question like Who was I visiting (I said friends), where did I know these friends from, when did I meet them, how long was I staying, when would I return to my home country, what was I studying in school, how long was I in school already, when would I graduate etc. All in all probably 20-30 questions but no proof of return ticket or other binding ties needed.

I visited again in September/October 2010 for 6 weeks and had been stressing even though my last visit had been 6 months ago. So I flew through JFK, and only got asked length of stay (6 weeks) and purpose of visit (a friend...she didn't ask further). So, two questions and I was sent on my way.

The third visit last year is the one I stressed about the most since it would be my third in 9 months, obviously, and because I had just been there 7 weeks ago, as I was going to visit over the holidays, this time with a ring on my finger. I had binding ties such as proof of enrollment at university and bank statements showing my balance and proof of health insurance in Germany, just in case and was fully prepared for lots of questions and possibly secondary. So again, I arrive at JFK and when I get to the CO, she wishes me a good morning, takes my passport, scans it, takes my fingerprints, stamps my passport and wishes me a nice day. Those were the only two sentences she spoke to me, not even one singly question, not even the standard "length of stay" and "purpose of visit". :blink: I thought it was a joke, I just couldn't believe it.

I am now thinking about visiting for like a week in May, but kinda scared now that the K1 process is started..

K1 Visa Timeline
01-12-2011 Sent out I-129F packet to Lewisville, TX, via Fedex
01-18-2011 NOA1
01-24-2011 NOA1 hard copy received in the mail [dated 01-18-2011]
05-12-2011 NOA2 (approved in 114 days)
05-18-2011 NVC received, new case number assigned
05-20-2011 NVC left
06-01-2011 Embassy received
06-06-2011 Packet 3 sent
06-10-2011 Packet 4 received
07-21-2011 Interview at 9:30am - APPROVED!!
07-29-2011 Visa in hand
10-02-2011 Wedding

AOS Timeline
10-04-2011 Sent out AOS, EAD and AP application via UPS Overnight to Chicago, IL
10-05-2011 AOS application delivered @ 9:22am
10-07-2011 E-Notification via Email and Text @ 5:37pm for AOS, EAD and AP
10-26-2011 Biometrics Appointment
10-31-2011 AOS transferred to CSC
12-06-2011 E-Notifications via Email and Text - GC approved!!!!!!! (in 63 days)
12-07-2011 E-Notifications via Email and Text - EAD and AP approved (in 64 days)
12-12-2011 GREEN CARD rec'vd in mail!!!

Removing Conditions Timeline

10-19-2013 Sent out I-751 petition via USPS Priority Express

10-21-2013 I-751 petition delivered @ 12:12pm

10-25-2013 NOA received in the mail [dated 10-22-2013]

11-22-2013 Case transferred to CSC

02-05-2014 Card production ordered

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Excellent information. This definately works for folks with Visa Waver program, however has anyone had luck obtraining B2 (tourist visa) while having i-129F pedning? Should that info be disclosed when applying?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

CanadiaGirl! Queenston Lewiston has been my only source of trouble! On one visit, I was ordered (not asked) to "exit the vehicle and go inside". The lady I talked to did a soft interrogation, repeating questions several times in a roundabout way, and she went through every scrap of paper in my purse and wallet. She even asked me why I had a yoghurt cup in my purse ("I was going to eat it on the way to the airport, ma'am :huh: ) It was 4:30am and there was not a soul on the road.

Okay, also, I hadn't printed my itinerary, had no return ticket in my possession or proof thereof, no evidence of my enrollment in school, and nothing at all proving I was really only going for 5 days. It was totally my fault, but the Peace Bridge and Rainbow bridge have never given me so much trouble! They haven't even asked me for all the evidence I now always bring!

Anyway, as a Dutch citizen and permanent resident of Canada, I haven't had any experience trying to enter the US on the VWP which would make me nervous to visit my guy in the future. But I'll never do it without an itinerary and work contract again...

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

I am planning on booking a flight to spend some time with my fiance in California, I am able to spend much more time now that I have been laid-off from work, I was given my notice on Thurday Feb. 9, I think this was a blessing, but now I don't have my work as proof of returning to Canada, I will only have my return ticket and my "notice" letter, and my K1 package. I am planning on spending 4 weeks with him before returning home, what are my odds now of visisting my fiance?

I feel positive I should be ok with my package of K1 details (still awaiting NOA2) and return ticket, but as all of you have mentioned it is up to the discretion of the attending officer. ADVICE PLEASE, I want to book my flight tomorrow

event.png

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish

Timeline

I wanted to chime in with my experience. My husband and I have been married for 2 years come April. I do not have a job and don't intend on getting one until I am in the USA. I had a job in Canada as did my husband. We both lost it because of economic downturn and my husband had to return to the USA to find a job (he was on a temp work visa in Canada). He found a job and as such we began our visa journey. When I'm in canada I live with my parents, when I'[m in the US I live with my husband.

I go to visit for months at a time all except one time has involved myself going into the Immigration offices. Both times I've gone in I was greeted with the fear of being denied. My primary problem was proof of ties to Canada which in all honesty I had none. When the officer asked me how he knows that I won't stay I simply responded in a very polite manner "Sir the only evidence I can provide you with is my word. We have been going back and forth for a while now and every time I said I'd come back I did. That is the best word I can give you is the fact that I've always come back." The last time we crossed we weren't asked any length of stay questions so that really helped alleviate the worry.

You can get across even if you don't have proof of ties to Canada. It is tough and understandably the officers don't have a whole lot to go off of. Be honest that's the best advice. They can tell when you're being genuine and truthful. Both officers while hesitant (again understandable) wrote me a visitors visa for a month and we were on our way. I just wanted others out there to know that even if you don't have proof it is possible to get across. Next time I will be bringing a bank slip to show I do live here (canada). Fingers crossed the process won't be that much longer.

Cheers

What a wonderful story, I love the line you used about "Sir the only evidence I can provide you is my word......and everytime I said I'd come back I did" ...I want to book a flight tomorrow or very soon, but was hoping on getting advice from VJ's on my situation since I too recently, like Thursday Feb. 9, was let-go due to business restructuring, and was quite worried that I don't have proof of returning to my job as proof. Your post was most helpful. thank you. (F)

event.png

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish

Timeline

Where would I post this question: I would like to visit my fiance in CA, but may want to fly out of Buffalo not Toronto Pearson for some savings on the flights, IS CROSSING AT THE BOARDER to get to the Buffalo airport harder than going directly to Toronto Pearson Airport? the price cost difference is about 1/2 price with the Buffalo option, but read somewhere the boarder going through to buffalo may be more challenging. I will only have all my K1 documents to date, and my return ticket itinary, seeing I was downsized from my company this Thursday...:unsure: (I believe it is a blessing, so I can now spend maybe 5 weeks with him on this visit) .

event.png

I am planning on booking a flight to spend some time with my fiance in California, I am able to spend much more time now that I have been laid-off from work, I was given my notice on Thurday Feb. 9, I think this was a blessing, but now I don't have my work as proof of returning to Canada, I will only have my return ticket and my "notice" letter, and my K1 package. I am planning on spending 4 weeks with him before returning home, what are my odds now of visisting my fiance?

I feel positive I should be ok with my package of K1 details (still awaiting NOA2) and return ticket, but as all of you have mentioned it is up to the discretion of the attending officer. ADVICE PLEASE, I want to book my flight tomorrow

I went and visited my fiance last October for a month. I only had a return ticket and my NOA1. It was good enough for me, but I did get questioned a bit more than I ever had. Go ahead and book it, but have a plan in case things don't work out.

Timeline

I went and visited my fiance last October for a month. I only had a return ticket and my NOA1. It was good enough for me, but I did get questioned a bit more than I ever had. Go ahead and book it, but have a plan in case things don't work out.

HI coconuts..how are you?...thanks, what else did they question, where did you leave from?

event.png

HI coconuts..how are you?...thanks, what else did they question, where did you leave from?

I left from Ottawa.

They asked who I was visiting, I said my fiance.

They asked how long I was staying, I said a month.

They asked if I was employed and I said no, that my contract for my job had just ended.

They asked where I was staying.

They asked for proof of residence (I had to show my driver's license)

They asked to see my return ticket.

They told me what date I needed to return by (6 months)

Nothing extensive, just more than I usually received. It was no problem, though. But he might have just been in a good mood that day, who knows. :)

Timeline

Is crossing at the border to get to the Buffalo airport harder than going directly to Toronto Pearson Airport?

Not for me! I've had many more "easy" crossings in Fort Erie/Buffalo than in Toronto, plus the airport in Buffalo is much smaller, and less crazy to drive to than Pearson (and in my case, much closer!) Plus you save a ton of money! I mean, we've seen enough of what could go wrong, so don't overpack, print your flight plans and show those border agents you know just what your responsibilities are as an I-129f petitioner.

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.