Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Alright, I'm finally getting round to telling you about my experience at Chicago O'Hare on August 16 (see earlier posts for backstory). I was dreadfully nervous, it was my first visit since filing the I-129f. I brought as much proof as I could that I was enrolled in classes back home starting in October, but I didn't have a letter from an employer, I don't have a landlady or lease, no cars or any other strong material ties to Holland. I was somewhat freaked out.

Arriving in Chicago, i walked along to border control to find the most hideously long queue anyone can imagine in their life. Honestly, it was insane. Luckily I was standing next to a very nice woman who had been on my flight, but the whole queueing process took over two hours. And O'Hare has to have the darkest, most uninviting queueing area of any airport. I wilted like the potted plants, and sweated the sweat of fear. I was so hungry (airplane food...) and I knew I was screwed, as I had no concentration to stand up for myself if they got stroppy with me.

Finally, it was my turn. I was directed to the booth with the toughest looking, eager young guy. I handed him my passport, and here's how our exchange went as he fingerprinted me:

'How long are you staying for?'

'5 weeks.'

'Who's this you're staying with?' (indicating the address on the form)

'He's my fiance.'

'He's an American citizen?'

'Yes, we're in the K-1 visa process.'

*uninterested grunt*

'When were you last here?'

'In January, I stayed for 4 weeks.' (Lies! It was 6! I don't know what made me say 4!)

'Alright, enjoy your stay.'

He stamped me and off I went... It was by far the easiest border control I've ever had. I told the man at luggage I was visiting my fiance, and he had me run my suitcase through the additional x-ray, then I was out of that dank room and into the arms of my dearest!

I'm guessing the mass of people waiting in line made the guard unmotivated to make trouble (the queue was even longer when I left). But it gave me great faith that they don't have a problem with people visiting their fiance during this process!

Good luck to anyone who attempts this, it is just best to come as prepared as you possibly can.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Wow, this thread has been incredibly helpful. Thanks to everyone for sharing. I'm fairly new to the forum and could use input...

I'm a US citizen with a German fiance. We've sent our I-129F to VSC and recently received our NOA1. He is hoping to visit next month, so we're preparing for the POE interview (at Dulles Airport) as best we can. He will obviously be bringing copies of our I-129F, NOA1, both of our itineraries to visit Germany for the holidays, and any other proof of ties we can come up with. Most experiences shared here are very encouraging!

However, our situation is unique because he has recently (2 weeks ago) departed after spending a year in the US on a J-1 (exchange visitor) visa. I'm wondering if this will affect his ability to re-enter the US on the VWP for a vacation/visit. Does anyone have insight into how this could affect his visit?

Thanks!

Rachel

So my fiance is visiting me for the first time here in the States since we filed for our I-129F next week. I'm a bit nervous, even though I know most people get through without issue.

He is bringing:

-A letter from his employer stating his expected return to work date

-A copy of our NoA1

-A recent bank statement

-A return ticket

-A recent cell phone bill

He lives with his family, so he doesn't have a lease. Do you think this will be enough? He's only staying for a week, hasn't been to the country since April and has never overstayed a visa. He's also just bringing a carry-on bag.

He knows not to volunteer too much information unless asked specifically, is a very calm and collected person when questioned, and understands not to mention any specific wedding plans. He should always answer "not until the visa is approved". Is there anything we're forgetting? I read he shouldn't bring the entire I-129F copy, do you think this is necessary?

Thanks!

Naturalization Process (FINALLY!)

05.29.14 - N-400 filed

06.02.14 - Packet received at the Lewisville Texas Center

06.05.14 - Check cleared

06.04.14 - NOA date

06.13.14 - Biometrics letter received

07.02.14 - Biometrics appointment

07.07.14 - In line

07.17.14 - 'Yellow Paper' date

09.10.14 - Interview scheduled NOA date

10.15.14 - Interview date

10.15.14 - RFE (missing documentation)

10.21.14 - RFE response received in NYC facility

11.04.14 - Oath ceremony scheduled, approved!

11.19.14 - Oath ceremony (8:30am) in Brooklyn - Completed! DONE WITH USCIS!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I'm so glad you get to see your Fiance soon! You guys are going to have such a good time together and its going to make the wait so much easier! (at least temporarily) I'm 99.99% positive he'll be totally fine going though immigration. :star:

I'm so glad you get to see your Fiance soon! You guys are going to have such a good time together and its going to make the wait so much easier! (at least temporarily) I'm 99.99% positive he'll be totally fine going though immigration. :star:

Thanks Amy! I'm so happy that you get to visit yours in a few days as well. I'll be going back to England for New Year's Eve. We're so excited to get to celebrate the year we get married together. I know he should be fine, but I'll be a nervous wreck at the airport until I see him.

05.29.14 - N-400 filed

06.05.14 - Check cleared

06.04.14 - NOA date

07.07.14 - In line

Timeline

Oh man you're going for New Years! You're so lucky, that's going to be awesome! We're spending Thanksgiving together and then after that I'm not really sure when or if we're going to be able to make any more visits until he moves here. I really hope our visas get approved early in the new year because other than time off for the wedding/honeymoon, I definitely can't take any more days off for like, forever.

It's funny too because your Fiance is flying into the US on the 1st of October, I'm flying into England this Thursday morning, LucyNY's Fiance is flying into England this Wednesday or Thursday, and then Coconuts (another August filer) is visiting her Fiance in the US in early October too. I guess its a great time to take time off!

Haha I know, right? I think it's because the summer is a very popular time for people to take a vacation so it's easier for people to get time off right after. I can't take off Christmas or Thanksgiving, but no one needs a holiday the first week of January so I swooped in (plus my vacation time is replenished the first day of the year). It's the same with us. I am only using 1 week of next year's time to visit, then I'm pleading with humanity he gets here earlier in the year. After that I need the time and money for the wedding/honeymoon.

I mean, all of us July/August filers have to be approved (pending no issues) before April, right?

05.29.14 - N-400 filed

06.05.14 - Check cleared

06.04.14 - NOA date

07.07.14 - In line

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just caved in and booked a flight to visit my fiance in Florida for 87 days leaving November 15th (for Thanksgiving, Christmas and my birthday :D )

Really hope they let me in! Should have plenty of evidence of ties to the UK but they can be pretty scary at Miami Airport :wacko:

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

My fiance visited me here in Chicago on Friday and had no trouble in customs whatsoever. He wasn't even asked to show paperwork and the agent joked with him. He was asked purpose of visit (vacation), where he was staying (with his fiancee), and what he did for a living. It took about 5 minutes. :D

Edited by gap1

05.29.14 - N-400 filed

06.05.14 - Check cleared

06.04.14 - NOA date

07.07.14 - In line

Timeline

My fiance visited me here in Chicago on Friday and had no trouble in customs whatsoever. He wasn't even asked to show paperwork and the agent joked with him. He was asked purpose of visit (vacation), where he was staying (with his fiancee), and what he did for a living. It took about 5 minutes. :D

I'm so glad he didn't have any problems. :)

Timeline

I am trying my luck today ! I will tell you how it goes, havent recieved any NOA 1 yet, but am trying to get in !

09-13-10 got engaged <3

09-28-10 Sent I129-F Express

09-29-10 Delivered to Lewisville,TX but forwarded to Dallas

09-30-10 Delivered and Signed in Person in DALLAS

10-05-10 NOA 1

10-08-10 touched

10-11-10 touched

04-13-10 NOA 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

04-14-10 MEDICAL

Timeline

Hello everyone,

well I was almost beeing sent back home yesterday at POE JFK. No joke, and an experience I will never want to have again. Also wont have to, cuz I got threatened not to enter the US again until I have a granted K1.

Funny Story is, with the first Officer everything went fine:

OF:Business or Pleasure?

me: pleasure, but not really cuz my grandmother is really sick and I hope to see her alive.

OF: I am sorry to hear that, have you been here before?

Me:yes

OF:When was the Last time ?

Me: A month ago and I didnt plan to come back this quick but this is a special circumstance

OF: Stamps and Nods.

ho

I continue to get my luggage,find it right away and wanna proceed through Custom Declartion when some one decided of them, cuz they must have been bored, cuz I was one of the last persons to clear immigration ( cuz it was BUUUUUUUSY) to take me aside and look through my Passport.

When they found a various Number of STamps ( since I was mostly the one visiting my Fiance most of the time within 2 yrs), they got suspicious and entered me in their little sneaky ####### computer. Well me and my fiance went to Canada for Vacation and I guess that officer over there must have made some remarks already under my name,cuz after digging in there,...they started DIGGING DEEP.

They took everything apart, my clothes,luggage and started mad questions, of course the usual,how I support myself, who gives me money, why can I go away so often from Germany,who do I know over here, do i work,do i have an own apartment, what does my fiance do,what is his name, how long we known each other,... They even had the guts to ask how much longer my grandmother has To LIVE because i have my return flight for december, so if he was that sick why would i have to stay that long !!!!!

That just startled me and i started crying..

Telling him that we are going the official way of the K1 didnt make any difference, he was just asking : "Oh how is that working out for ya"..

I had Binding Ties,Bank Statements,Insurances of my Car,my Car Papers, and an OFFICIAL Letter by my Lawyer that I have to return to attend in civil court as a witness. They didnt even CARE.

So then it was time for my wallet,and in my wallet supposably what they found must have been so startlin that the supervisor had to come and check everything out. I had various "Business"Cards from Friends that are Photographers. Especially now that my fiance and I are planning our wedding I needed those,t hats why they were in there, but they assumed that I PLAN to work with those photographers,asked me about every single card..

When i told them to call them and verify they dropped it and were interested in calling my mother to see if she would varify my intention of coming back to my Homecountry.

I wrote down the number, turned out, they just tried to mindfuck me right there again. Cuz they never called.

Supervisor and Officer were taking a Moment aside,before mad notes were made in the Computer and the Threat Spoken: Not to return without any Visa Approval of my K1 cuz otherwise I will get denied next time...I wonder what they wrote down int he computer,

but you guys can trust me : not gonna try again to see my fiance until I have some APPROVAL !!!!

I dont wish this on anyone!!

09-13-10 got engaged <3

09-28-10 Sent I129-F Express

09-29-10 Delivered to Lewisville,TX but forwarded to Dallas

09-30-10 Delivered and Signed in Person in DALLAS

10-05-10 NOA 1

10-08-10 touched

10-11-10 touched

04-13-10 NOA 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

04-14-10 MEDICAL

Hello everyone,

well I was almost beeing sent back home yesterday at POE JFK. No joke, and an experience I will never want to have again. Also wont have to, cuz I got threatened not to enter the US again until I have a granted K1.

That sucks :-( Any possibility of you extending your stay to cover Christmas so you can see as much as possible of your fiance before you have to go back home?

Wish wish WISH everything related to immigration could be consistent. Maybe one day when robots run everything? *sigh*

Hello everyone,

Funny Story is, with the first Officer everything went fine:

OF:Business or Pleasure?

me: pleasure, but not really cuz my grandmother is really sick and I hope to see her alive.

OF: I am sorry to hear that, have you been here before?

Me:yes

OF:When was the Last time ?

Me: A month ago and I didnt plan to come back this quick but this is a special circumstance

OF: Stamps and Nods.

ho

I continue to get my luggage,find it right away and wanna proceed through Custom Declartion when some one decided of them, cuz they must have been bored, cuz I was one of the last persons to clear immigration ( cuz it was BUUUUUUUSY) to take me aside and look through my Passport.

When they found a various Number of STamps ( since I was mostly the one visiting my Fiance most of the time within 2 yrs), they got suspicious and entered me in their little sneaky ####### computer. Well me and my fiance went to Canada for Vacation and I guess that officer over there must have made some remarks already under my name,cuz after digging in there,...they started DIGGING DEEP.

They took everything apart, my clothes,luggage and started mad questions, of course the usual,how I support myself, who gives me money, why can I go away so often from Germany,who do I know over here, do i work,do i have an own apartment, what does my fiance do,what is his name, how long we known each other,... They even had the guts to ask how much longer my grandmother has To LIVE because i have my return flight for december, so if he was that sick why would i have to stay that long !!!!!

That just startled me and i started crying..

Telling him that we are going the official way of the K1 didnt make any difference, he was just asking : "Oh how is that working out for ya"..

I had Binding Ties,Bank Statements,Insurances of my Car,my Car Papers, and an OFFICIAL Letter by my Lawyer that I have to return to attend in civil court as a witness. They didnt even CARE.

So then it was time for my wallet,and in my wallet supposably what they found must have been so startlin that the supervisor had to come and check everything out. I had various "Business"Cards from Friends that are Photographers. Especially now that my fiance and I are planning our wedding I needed those,t hats why they were in there, but they assumed that I PLAN to work with those photographers,asked me about every single card..

When i told them to call them and verify they dropped it and were interested in calling my mother to see if she would varify my intention of coming back to my Homecountry.

I wrote down the number, turned out, they just tried to mindfuck me right there again. Cuz they never called.

Supervisor and Officer were taking a Moment aside,before mad notes were made in the Computer and the Threat Spoken: Not to return without any Visa Approval of my K1 cuz otherwise I will get denied next time...I wonder what they wrote down int he computer,

but you guys can trust me : not gonna try again to see my fiance until I have some APPROVAL !!!!

I dont wish this on anyone!!

This has just made me ###### bricks - im flying into JFK next month to saty for 6 weeks and now I dont want too :help:

I129F Petition Sent: End of June '10
NOA1 - 17th July '10
Touches - 23rd July & 3rd October '10
NOA2 - 30th December '10 - A great new yr gift
NVC Rec'd - 4th January '11
NVC Sent - 5th January '11
Embassy Received - 8th January '11
Embassy Recorded - 11th January '11
Packet 3 Forms sent - 11th January '11
Visa Fee Paid - 18th January '11
Packet 3 Forms Logged - 24th January '11
Medical Exam
- 10th February '11
Embassy Received Medical Results - 15th February '11
London Consulate K1 Visa Interview - 11th March '11
JFK Port of Entry - 24th March '11

Removal Of Conditions.

Petition Signed for - 26th August 2013

Check Cashed - 11th September 2013

NOA1 -

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.