1,939 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, emekus94 said:

Jackie girl- breathe
It's all part of the new administration. Supposedly everyone now (At least in Texas) without a 10 year green card/citizenship has to be first verified by DHS before getting ANY type of license
It sucks cuz that means you MUST waste time at DPS 2x - once to apply and have them cue the system for u to get the verification letter and then come back another day AFTER u get the letter to do whatever it is you want to do.

It's a process. 
This too shall pass.

Well, hot damn. Here are our steps (just venting)

1. Take a half day to go to the DPS and apply, to find out we need a letter

2. Wait for letter

3. Go back w/ letter, get permit (drivers tests are 6-8 weeks out atm)

4. Register w/ driving school and pay $50 just so he can take his test before 6-8 weeks out

5. Take test

6. Go back to DPS and get license

That's like two more days off at least.

I rarely have complaints about USCIS, you know, I get it. There are hundreds of thousands of us that have needs and only so many of them. I just wish they'd get it together and make it easier. Just for this. Sigh. ❤️

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Jaquelly said:

2. Wait for letter

4. Register w/ driving school and pay $50 just so he can take his test before 6-8 weeks out

5. Take test

I rarely have complaints about USCIS, you know, I get it. There are hundreds of thousands of us that have needs and only so many of them. I just wish they'd get it together and make it easier. Just for this. Sigh. ❤️

Lol
It's really not USCIS - It's DHS as a whole
which the administration controls so...
Yea.

It's clear administration is not making immigration "easier"
It is what it is. 
Everything takes longer- but we all get to the finish. Just hold on to that

But I agree - I have used my entire vacation time this year dealing with getting SSN, DPS, etc. Literally no time left for the holidays. 
It's exhausting- but at least our loves are with us.

P.S. If you live near a megacenter for DPS, use the "get in line" feature for the paperwork stuff.
It's gonna save u so much time than going there and waiting till kingdom come

Edited by emekus94

16 minutes ago, emekus94 said:

Lol
It's really not USCIS - It's DHS as a whole
which the administration controls so...
Yea.

It's clear administration is not making immigration "easier"
It is what it is. 
Everything takes longer- but we all get to the finish. Just hold on to that

But I agree - I have used my entire vacation time this year dealing with getting SSN, DPS, etc. Literally no time left for the holidays. 
It's exhausting- but at least our loves are with us.

P.S. If you live near a megacenter for DPS, use the "get in line" feature for the paperwork stuff.
It's gonna save u so much time than going there and waiting till kingdom come

LOL, we did go to the megacenter initially until Andy realized he forgot his SS card at home. So we drove back home, got in line at the Hurst office (stupid me, my suggestion) and went there.

Well, they were at capacity. So, they told all of us with appointments to wait outside on one side of the wall, and everyone without to wait outside on the other wall.

So, we waited outside for about 20 minutes. I was watching people go inside but not come out, so I confronted the lady working. Oh boy, she got upset. Two minutes later all of us were inside (with appointments, RIP people who don't get one before showing up).

We wait almost an hour. They don't let you check in on your own. They check you in and write your ticket # on a piece of paper. Once the line in the middle goes down, they call out a bunch of #s and line you guys up. 

So, we were behind just one guy to see an agent aaaaaaand the DHS check system goes 'down'. 

We decide to wait it out. I already took off work, besides, I can get my DL address changed since we were already there.

20 minutes later, a worker comes to get Andy. Bless his British heart, he has to deal with a group of giggling ladies (they were kind, but you could tell they weren't as excited to help him once I came over to the counter).

They get him all worked up into the system and then tell us we gotta wait for a letter.

sir please no just give me the temp

back home we go to wait a few more weeks, wheeee LOL

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Jaquelly said:

LOL, we did go to the megacenter initially until Andy realized he forgot his SS card at home. So we drove back home, got in line at the Hurst office (stupid me, my suggestion) and went there.

Well, they were at capacity. So, they told all of us with appointments to wait outside on one side of the wall, and everyone without to wait outside on the other wall.

So, we waited outside for about 20 minutes. I was watching people go inside but not come out, so I confronted the lady working. Oh boy, she got upset. Two minutes later all of us were inside (with appointments, RIP people who don't get one before showing up).

We wait almost an hour. They don't let you check in on your own. They check you in and write your ticket # on a piece of paper. Once the line in the middle goes down, they call out a bunch of #s and line you guys up. 

So, we were behind just one guy to see an agent aaaaaaand the DHS check system goes 'down'. 

We decide to wait it out. I already took off work, besides, I can get my DL address changed since we were already there.

20 minutes later, a worker comes to get Andy. Bless his British heart, he has to deal with a group of giggling ladies (they were kind, but you could tell they weren't as excited to help him once I came over to the counter).

They get him all worked up into the system and then tell us we gotta wait for a letter.

sir please no just give me the temp

back home we go to wait a few more weeks, wheeee LOL

Nah-
that letter comes in about 5-12 days--- depending on how good ur local mail office is
cuz the DHS approval itself can be from 1 day to 5 days-- although I heard an unfortunate story where it was an entire month. Ayeeee

2 hours ago, emekus94 said:

Nah-
that letter comes in about 5-12 days--- depending on how good ur local mail office is
cuz the DHS approval itself can be from 1 day to 5 days-- although I heard an unfortunate story where it was an entire month. Ayeeee

Hey guys, I’m a bit confusing here coz I went to the DMV office to apply DL here in California and they told me I’m not eligible coz my I-94 is expired,  unless I have a EAD or green card,  is this the same requirement as yours? Do I have another option to get a driving license or permit or whatever it is to drive legally at the moment? 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, AOSjuly said:

Hey guys, I’m a bit confusing here coz I went to the DMV office to apply DL here in California and they told me I’m not eligible coz my I-94 is expired,  unless I have a EAD or green card,  is this the same requirement as yours? Do I have another option to get a driving license or permit or whatever it is to drive legally at the moment? 

Unfortunately, each state is different
Cal might be of those states that won't let you get a license without EAD/GC/Citizenship -i.e. something permanent (and not just a piece of paper like AOS NOA1)showing residency.

I suggest you either go to a different DMV office and see if you get the same answer or google California laws and see what it says on the issue
Good news is that EAD pace seems to have improved. So us July folks might be looking at Nov/Dec for that EAD!

Edited by emekus94

Timeline
3 minutes ago, AOSjuly said:

Same issue with my wife. We went to the DMV here in CA a couple weeks ago and she couldn't get it because her I-94 was going to expire soon (Sept. 24th). They suggested to come back once we receive the EAD card.

In the meantime, I  was able to add my wife in my car insurance just with her foreign DL. They said she is allowed to drive in CA using the foreign DL.

5 minutes ago, emekus94 said:

Unfortunately, each state is different
Cal might be of those states that won't let you get a license without EAD/GC/Citizenship -i.e. something permanent (and not just a piece of paper like AOS NOA1)showing residency.

I suggest you either go to a different DMV office and see if you get the same answer or google California laws and see what it says on the issue
Good news is that EAD pace seems to have improved. So us July folks might be looking at Nov/Dec for that EAD!

😉 I’m looking forward the combo card come in before Christmas so that not just the DL but also we planning for ski trip to Japan or Canada, figure crossed for July folks lol 

7 minutes ago, Joselio said:

Same issue with my wife. We went to the DMV here in CA a couple weeks ago and she couldn't get it because her I-94 was going to expire soon (Sept. 24th). They suggested to come back once we receive the EAD card.

In the meantime, I  was able to add my wife in my car insurance just with her foreign DL. They said she is allowed to drive in CA using the foreign DL.

Thank you, I think I’m gonna go with the same at the moment, just don’t know how long they allow us to drive with a foreign DL,  I believed that I read a regulation somewhere says as soon as you residence in CA that have to apply DL within 10days, and technically we are between yes but without a solid card lol. So what the hell, what choice do I have hahah 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
11 hours ago, Jaquelly said:

2. Wait for letter

5. Take test

At least you can get a license without EAD..... Not like in Missouri.....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Does anyone know if USCIS is give out a combo card to those who file for EAD and AP together? 

And if I were to try and expedite my EAD would they also expedite my AP? 

Im yet to try and tackle the driving license but have heard it’s a pain 👎🏻

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Jayhay said:

Does anyone know if USCIS is give out a combo card to those who file for EAD and AP together? 

And if I were to try and expedite my EAD would they also expedite my AP? 

Im yet to try and tackle the driving license but have heard it’s a pain 👎🏻

IF you applied for EAD/AP, you get them at the same time if you wait ur turn with the processing time.

If you expedite EAD, someone correct me, but I don't think u get AP as well
Because there's a different application to expedite AP. Ur AP will then be processed when it's turn comes.

Timeline
10 hours ago, ineedadisplayname said:

wait WHAT?????
U can't get a license without an EAD??
What do they need, a GC?? That's horrific...

Actually, now that I think about it, Missouri is moving at a pace faster than EAD so you're fine theoretically but still... damn

10 hours ago, ineedadisplayname said:

7 minutes ago, emekus94 said:

wait WHAT?????

Actually, now that I think about it, Missouri is moving at a pace faster than EAD so you're fine theoretically but still... damn

My feelings exactly! Are you POSITIVE there's not a workaround? Texas is way more angry about immigrants than like, any other state.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
22 minutes ago, emekus94 said:

wait WHAT?????

Ohh yeah...

My husband went to renew his license yesterday and he asked about my situation. The lady he spoke with said sure he can, it i will be available for a year, but he need a valid I-94. Mine expires today, So he called me, I rushed home,  I did online mock tests for an hour and half, went to a testing facility, did the written/vision/driving tests, gladly I passed, went to the license office, and they took my papers, etc then when I got to verify the stuff on the computer I see my license expiration is for today.... I tell the lady, she is like waaaaat, then she checks the date, and calls a supervisor I think, the person calls in i think a central number and explain the situation to somebody on the phone. I can hear her talking about me and what papers I have and then she comes back and tell the other lady that I need to have an ead or greencard or student status..... For sure the lady my husband talked with earlier was not there, so I didn't get a license :)

At least the proof of passing is valid for one year :) So when my EAD or green card comes I just need to go and get the license.....

About moving faster, I don' know. Can't find anybody from here who had his interview this years.... The only thing is the document you shared and there the numbers didn't look too bad.....

Edited by ineedadisplayname

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.