CitizenJ

How long will my wife's greencard be good for?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

My wife received her GC in April of 2015. Her and I stayed in America until August of 2017 (2 years and 4 months) before traveling back to her home country of China where we've been ever since (11 months). If we return to America now, will it be a problem? Will they revoke her GC? Do we absolutely have to get her a return permit before heading back to America? Thanks.

timeline in layman's terms:

Submitted I-130 (in person) - September 16th, 2014

I-130 Approved - November 12th, 2014

Received an e-mail prompting me and my wife to complete form DS-260 and submit some documents to a bank (NOA2?) - November 28th, 2014

Submitted documents to bank - December 4th, 2014

Received an e-mail instructing me and my wife to schedule an interview appointment - December 18th, 2014

How long was the green card valid for? How long had you been married when she was granted it?

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline

Was it a Conditional 2 year greencard?

If it was for 2 years and you didn’t even remove conditions, then well, sorry but there is nothing you can do but reapply for a viasa for her

Or was it valid for 10 years?

If it was a 10 year one, you should have gotten a permit BEFORE, that allows your wife to stay abroad for up to 365 days but not longer

Otherwise it’s considered abandoned and you have to go thru a visaprocess again!

as far as my knowledge is....

Edited by mrmvkjts

Well, her GC should have an expiration date listed right on there.

Even if it's still valid, staying out of the US for more than 6 months puts her at risk of abandoning her permanent resident status. Staying out of the US for a year or more pretty much guarantees it.

Timeline

Thanks for the responses guys. It's a 10 year GC. We had been married for 3 years when she received it. We're going to return to America within the next month so she won't have been out of the country for more than 365 days. 

So it sounds like:

Out of the country for less than 6 months: no problem

Out of the country for more than 1 year: definite problem

Out of the country for more than 6 months but less than 1 year: may be a problem...?

Is that right? 

So if my wife returns to America right now, is there a chance that they'll bar her entry and make her return to her home country to get an America visa? 

Edited by CitizenJ

Received an e-mail prompting me and my wife to complete form DS-260 and submit some documents to a bank (NOA2?) - November 28th, 2014

Received an e-mail instructing me and my wife to schedule an interview appointment - December 18th, 2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Best case scenario, imo-  She will be grilled at POE and she needs to have some good answers to justify her US residence.

Worst case scenario-  She is sent before an immigration judge who will determine if she has abandoned her US residence.

That assumes, she has an unexpired Green Card.  If her Green Card has expired, she will automatically get sent before a judge.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, CitizenJ said:

Thanks for the responses guys. It's a 10 year GC. We had been married for 3 years when she received it. We're going to return to America within the next month so she won't have been out of the country for more than 365 days. 

So it sounds like:

Out of the country for more than 6 months but less than 1 year: may be a problem...?

Is that right? 

Correct.  I would be prepared to answer some tough questions at POE.  Green Cards are for LIVING in the US, not visiting.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

2 minutes ago, StoneChild said:

Ok head back ASAP like today or tomorrow drop everything and come right back NOW. You guys should already be applying to remove the conditions!!!

COME BACK NOW!

OP said his wife has a 10-year GC so no need for removal.

But the fact she has been out of the US for almost a year is not good. They will definitely get grilled by CBP.

Edited by mushroomspore

3 minutes ago, StoneChild said:

Ok head back ASAP like today or tomorrow drop everything and come right back NOW. You guys should already be applying to remove the conditions!!!

COME BACK NOW!

There are no conditions to remove on a 10-yr green card, I'm assuming you missed that post.

7 minutes ago, CitizenJ said:

So it sounds like:

Is that right?

In an overgeneralized way, yes.

They could determine that she abandoned residence in less than 6 months based upon the facts (i.e. her ties maintained to the US, did she claim residence elsewhere or take benefits abroad that require residence, etc.).

They could determine that she did not abandon residence even after a year abroad. Again, it's based on the totality of the circumstances. This does have a legal requirement of presumption that residence was abandoned, though...which can be hard to overcome.

7 minutes ago, CitizenJ said:

So if my wife returns to America right now, is there a chance that they'll bar her entry and make her return to her home country to get an America visa? 

There's a chance she will be admitted.

There's a chance she will be paroled and the case referred to an immigration judge to make a final determination. This could come with or without detainment.

My money would be on if she returns before the 1 year mark, she would be questioned and warned not to do it again, but ultimately admitted.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
13 minutes ago, missileman said:

Best case scenario, imo-  She will be grilled at POE and she needs to have some good answers to justify her US residence.

Worst case scenario-  She is sent before an immigration judge who will determine if she has abandoned her US residence.

That assumes, she has an unexpired Green Card.  If her Green Card has expired, she will automatically get sent before a judge.

To be totally honest, she's recently decided that she'd no longer like to pursue citizenship. We realize that we'll have to cancel her GC eventually but since we've been planning on returning to America for the past month and she's only decided in the past week that she'd like to stop pursuing citizenship, we'd like to just go ahead and use her GC to return to America (since we don't want to start a visa process at this point). In a worst case scenario, if they cancelled her GC upon her return, they'd make her return to her country to get a visa, correct?

EDIT: We've been planning to return to America in the middle of July and she's just, in the past couple of days, decided that she'd like to stop pursuing citizenship. I don't even think we'd have time to apply for a visa for her.

Edited by CitizenJ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.