pujaks

Filing for my brother and his wife and son, Which documents are needed

46 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It is now over 12 months so 4 or 5 years ago?, 11 months might have been normal or a bit longer than normal.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Lawyers can’t speed up the process. If they did, the people on this board who have lawyers would have informed everyone. And it would definitely be a main advice given on this website that has been around for about 20 years.

It’s wishful thinking but it is not gonna happen.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

1 hour ago, pujaks said:

That's not true. When I filled for myself. Spouse visa, it was faster and I was in USA in 11 months.

What's not true? I'm guessing you are saying it's not true that the process can't be fast. You can't compare your petition with your sibling petition. Spouses are high priority; siblings are not, so that's why they take a back seat and have to wait so long. 

Back when I filed for my husband, it took overall 8 months from start to finish but that was 2012. Things have changed since then and slowed down. Siblings are taking way longer and if you've been watching the immigration reform movements, parents/sibling categories are most likely to be gone.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
2 hours ago, pujaks said:

That's not true. When I filled for myself. Spouse visa, it was faster and I was in USA in 11 months.

During that time, i bet there were lots of people who didn’t use lawyers got into the US in 8-10 months, much faster than yours. You are comparing apples with oranges.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

3 hours ago, pujaks said:

Don’t take our word for it, have a look at the visa bulletin. Here’s a link for you https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2018/visa-bulletin-for-june-2018.html

Filed: Timeline
32 minutes ago, CEE53147 said:

If he wants to come faster, he should do it on his own merits - i.e. exceptionally well qualified for a work based green card.

Exactly.  it would actually be much faster if the brother got a masters degree in computer engineering or even become a medical doctor and applied to US companies. Faster by a decade at least!

33 minutes ago, pujaks said:

I know what you all are saying. I was just asking if that makes any difference. Anyways, I can just file for them now and will wait. Thank you all.

Once you're a citizen, don't forget to vote against everyone that wants to end family reunification apart from spouses and children under 21. Every vote counts!

Edited by jyaku

I-129F Mailed: Aug 16, 2013 | Interview at Embassy Jan 24, 2014

K-1 VISA IN HAND: March 6, 2014

I-485 Mailed: June 20, 2014 | NPIW: October 15, 2014 | Welcome Letter: June 23, 2015

2 YR GREEN CARD IN HAND: June 26, 2015

I-751 Mailed: March 20, 2017 | Approval Letter: February 24, 2018

10 YR GREEN CARD IN HAND: March 23, 2018

N-400 Filed Online: March 20, 2018

42 minutes ago, jyaku said:

Once you're a citizen, don't forget to vote against everyone that wants to end family reunification apart from spouses and children under 21. Every vote counts!

What are you talking about???? Nobody has said anything about spouses or children of a USC in the immigration debate. But keep believing the talking points that you obviously believe and  never actually read the news.

Edited by cyberfx1024

1 hour ago, pujaks said:

I know what you all are saying. I was just asking if that makes any difference. Anyways, I can just file for them now and will wait. Thank you all.

It does not make a difference at all sorry to bust your bubble. 

5 hours ago, pujaks said:

Mine took 10 months. Without a lawyer. So the lawyer added a month to your timeline.

Do not compare the processing time for a spouse visa with a sibling visa. Completely different matters. Not even apples and oranges. More like apples and bicycles. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

1 hour ago, cyberfx1024 said:

What are you talking about???? Nobody has said anything about spouses or children of a USC in the immigration debate. But keep believing the talking points that you obviously believe and  never actually read the news.

Did you even read the thread?

If you want the skinny.. here it is.

OP is sponsoring his brother and his brother's family.

Here's what the news says:

http://news.abs-cbn.com/overseas/01/31/18/trump-wants-end-to-chain-migration

Under US immigration laws, a US citizen can file an immigrant visa petition for spouse, children, parent or siblings. A permanent resident or a greencard holder on the other hand, can file for immigrant visa petition for spouse and or unmarried son or daughter.

Under his administration’s plan, Trump said they will now only focus on the immediate family by limiting sponsorships to spouses and minor children only.

I-129F Mailed: Aug 16, 2013 | Interview at Embassy Jan 24, 2014

K-1 VISA IN HAND: March 6, 2014

I-485 Mailed: June 20, 2014 | NPIW: October 15, 2014 | Welcome Letter: June 23, 2015

2 YR GREEN CARD IN HAND: June 26, 2015

I-751 Mailed: March 20, 2017 | Approval Letter: February 24, 2018

10 YR GREEN CARD IN HAND: March 23, 2018

N-400 Filed Online: March 20, 2018

6 minutes ago, jyaku said:

Did you even read the thread?

If you want the skinny.. here it is.

OP is sponsoring his brother and his brother's family.

Here's what the news says:

http://news.abs-cbn.com/overseas/01/31/18/trump-wants-end-to-chain-migration

Sorry I was at a little league game but yeah they want to end chain migration. I am very happy with ending that 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.