My America

permanent green card- domestic violence record

42 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Roel said:

No such thing. 

You either files AOS that results in 2 year green card or you didn't file AOS means your husband never became a permanent legal resident. 

Read it again... AOS  = adjustment of status. 

So if he already has his 2 year green card there is nothing you can do. Move on. 

oh i understand. yes he got his 2 year green card. my luck ....... thank you for your help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline

i found out later that the case was dropped. thank you so much to you and everybody. we live and learn of our mistakes, wasnt my luck but safe now. you are right. thank you 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

You need to face the fact that his immigration status is of no concern to you.  You are legally divorced. If he does have a record, then he faces deportation and denial of any type of visa as the United States is very strict on immigration criminal records.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

In your best interests that he naturalises asap as you are on the hook for the I 864 until then.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

OP, do not overthink this. Forget that idiot. I know it sounds easier in words but you try to move on with your life. He will get his part in life if he used you for the GC. If you happen to petition someone in the future, just be careful who you bring in your life. Wishing you all the best. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

What about withdrawing her support?   I'm still thinking he has an uphill battle with AOS with no sponsor and a DV arrest.  Even without a conviction, an arrest gets noticed, especially followed by a divorce.  His 2 year visa is conditional after all. 

I believe with moving on with your life but I am also about just desserts. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, bakphx1 said:

What about withdrawing her support?   I'm still thinking he has an uphill battle with AOS with no sponsor and a DV arrest.  Even without a conviction, an arrest gets noticed, especially followed by a divorce.  His 2 year visa is conditional after all. 

I believe with moving on with your life but I am also about just desserts. 

The AOS is already approved, that's why he has his conditional greencard. There's no such thing as withdrawing support at this point.

She is the primary sponsor and is on the hook for the i-864 she signed. So is any potentional co-sponsor.

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Scandi said:

The AOS is already approved, that's why he has his conditional greencard. There's no such thing as withdrawing support at this point.

She is the primary sponsor and is on the hook for the i-864 she signed. So is any potentional co-sponsor.

The AOS from K1 to a 2 year conditional card doesn't mean he's done.  She said they'd only been married a year, so he couldn't have received his 10 year green card.  She said he has his his 2 year green card, so he would still need to remove conditions in another year. That's where I think he will get some surprises. 

Timeline
14 hours ago, aidee.xoxo said:

Hello everybody thank you for taking the time to answer me. he got the 2 year provicional visa now. after that i have not done or file any other paper not to 100% what the AOS is but im sure i have not file anything else beside the adjustment of status. employment authorization card expires on 04/26/18 and if you google his name it comes up as he has a record of domestic violence but no criminal conviction of it. 

I'm still not sure he gets to go on his happy way.  Do you know if his DV arrest still has pending charges?  A conviction for DV is a deportable offense.  He still has to remove conditions for his green card after two years.  If I were you, I would go submit your divorce papers and a letter stating he was arrested for DV and anything you can offer to show he fooled you into a visa so he won't qualify for a waiver.  

How long ago did he go to jail?  Could charges be pending? 

Timeline
4 hours ago, bakphx1 said:

The AOS from K1 to a 2 year conditional card doesn't mean he's done.  She said they'd only been married a year, so he couldn't have received his 10 year green card.  She said he has his his 2 year green card, so he would still need to remove conditions in another year. That's where I think he will get some surprises. 

Unlikely

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
19 hours ago, aidee.xoxo said:

oh i understand. yes he got his 2 year green card. my luck ....... thank you for your help.

at the same time, when he goes to get his conditions removed he has to file a waiver based on divorce but then it's upon him to prove he married in good faith and not for a green card.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, bad4tatt said:

at the same time, when he goes to get his conditions removed he has to file a waiver based on divorce but then it's upon him to prove he married in good faith and not for a green card.

Already done that once.

Timeline
4 hours ago, Boiler said:

Unlikely

Domestic violence is a removable offense.  If there is a divorce with no reconciliation because of a DV incident, I will still hold my minority opinion they won't rubber stamp his ROC.  If there's a conviction, by law they can't approve it. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.