Deitrickatie

Will expecting a baby increase chances of acceptance?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belize
Timeline

Hi friends, long story short. My boyfriend of almost 2 years and I are expecting our little miracle in September. He is Belizean and I have been living in Belize for the last 2 years. Our plan is to marry eventually but we just have to figure some things out in the meantime. Our ultimate goal is to be in the US together as a family. I am returning to the US in June for better healthcare and financial opportunities. My boyfriend has been denied for his tourist visa once already, no reason given. We are wondering, if I go with him, we have all the proof and explain to the officers that we just want his tourist visa so he is able to go to the US and be there for the birth of his daughter. He will return shortly after that and then with the hope of his acceptance, visit every 6 months or so until we can start the process of his K-1 Visa. Our intentions are to follow everything by the book we are just devastated at the thought of him not being able to be there for the birth of his daughter. I'm wondering what anyone's thoughts are??

Edited by Deitrickatie

Filed: Timeline

Not sure what you mean by "green card process". You either get married and go for a CR1 or you file for a K1. He doesnt get a green card because his American girlfriend is pregnant.

My nephews wife's sister got PG in Botswana with a local while living there temporarily(nephews wife is a US diplomat). The local thought that was a path to a GC. Not so.

Edited by LEISEROM

11 minutes ago, JFH said:

Will it increase your chances of approval? Absolutely not. If anything it will decrease your chances. The more ties he has to the USA, the lower his chances. He was denied before with an American girlfriend. Now his first-born child will be there. That's one of the strongest bonds to break. 

Agree with this, unfortunately immigration perspective and family perspective on things will be at odds..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

agree with everybody. why would he want to return? he can marry you in the US, now his child will be born, it will be harder for him to return

31 minutes ago, Deitrickatie said:

Hi friends, long story short. My boyfriend of almost 2 years and I are expecting our little miracle in September. He is Belizean and I have been living in Belize for the last 2 years. Our plan is to marry eventually but we just have to figure some things out in the meantime. Our ultimate goal is to be in the US together as a family. I am returning to the US in June for better healthcare and financial opportunities. My boyfriend has been denied for his tourist visa once already, no reason given. We are wondering, if I go with him, we have all the proof and explain to the officers that we just want his tourist visa so he is able to go to the US and be there for the birth of his daughter. He will return shortly after that and then with the hope of his acceptance, visit every 6 months or so until we can start the process of his K-1 Visa. Our intentions are to follow everything by the book we are just devastated at the thought of him not being able to be there for the birth of his daughter. I'm wondering what anyone's thoughts are??

Given that you will be in the US with his newborn, his would need to have very, very strong evidence for returning. Given he was rejected once (they always give a reason), he has a very little shot. If anything, a pregnant significant other with plans to file for immigration would hurt his case. If you want to file for a K1, do that or for a CR1, get married before you move to the US. There aren't other options for you to live together in the US. Right now, both processes are taking longer than usual.

Timeline

Totally agree and understand what everyone is saying. Does anyone have any recommendations of anything we could do in the meantime while we are waiting to be able to apply for the K-1 visa? I am sure there isn't anything just figured it's worth a shot to ask.

15 minutes ago, aleful said:

hi

agree with everybody. why would he want to return? he can marry you in the US, now his child will be born, it will be harder for him to return

I completely agree with this. If he has a visitor visa and is in the US with you and he has his bundle of joy in his arms it may be hard to turn around and head back without know exactly when he will return.

The biggest mistake foreigners make when applying for a visitor visa to the US is thinking they need to show why the need to go to the US when in actuality they need to show the opposite. They need to show why they need to return to their home country.

9 minutes ago, Deitrickatie said:

Totally agree and understand what everyone is saying. Does anyone have any recommendations of anything we could do in the meantime while we are waiting to be able to apply for the K-1 visa? I am sure there isn't anything just figured it's worth a shot to ask.

In the meantime, you can study the K1 process and start gathering as much evidence of a bonafide relationship as you can.

Here is a link to the guides on here.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1tips

P.S. Congrats!

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Does Belize have DCF?

If so get married now and start that.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

His chances of ever obtaining a tourist visa are zero to none. He has way too many ties to the US and a denied tourist visa just adds to it. He most likely was denied due to being at a high risk of immigrating. Having a baby means nothing in the eyes of USCIS.

Sorry to break it to you but the only chance your boyfriend has to be present at your daughter’s birth is if you have the baby in his country. There is absolutely no way you have time to get a K1 or a CR1 in time for her birth unfortunately. I would say if you’re ultimately trying to get together as fast as you can and you have the financials means for him to be out of work for about 6 months, file K1. If you can handle being apart a little longer and can’t afford for him to be out of work for that long, go get married and file CR1. I would do it fast if I were you. Less time apart. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Deitrickatie said:

I would start gathering paperwork. There is A LOT of it. It’s a pain and you will wanna kill yourself over it but this forum helps A LOT. Breathe through the pain. 

Timeline

I was just reading through the CR1 visa requirements and noticed it said a birth certificate is no longer needed, just proof of nationality (valid passport). Anyone ever heard of this for this is the put off of us getting married is he'd have to travel to Honduras to get his original birth certificate.

2 hours ago, Deitrickatie said:

anything we could do in the meantime while we are waiting to be able to apply for the K-1 visa? 

What are you waiting for? You already meet the requirements to file the I-129F petition. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

1 hour ago, Deitrickatie said:

I was just reading through the CR1 visa requirements and noticed it said a birth certificate is no longer needed, just proof of nationality (valid passport). Anyone ever heard of this for this is the put off of us getting married is he'd have to travel to Honduras to get his original birth certificate.

The requirements for a CR-1 visa are independent of the Belize requirents to get married. If he needs his birth certificate to get married in Belize, then that has to be obtained.

The I-130 petition is all about you. It's YOUR proof of nationality they want at that stage, not his. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.