balkanboy

Overstaying tourist visa

48 posts in this topic

Hello All,

Yesterday my relative was in very unusual situation. She was going to leave the US using flight through Boston. We found that all flights were cancelled because of the storm and that the next available flight is the day after.

When I explained that she needs to leave the US by midnight, otherwise she will break the law by overstaying her tourist visa, customer service said "I am sorry".

When we found that all other international flights are booked, we went to airports immigration office (in waiting area).

I explained her situation and at first officers were not nice, asking why she waited the last day, etc.

When I asked is it possible to extend her stay for one more day, they said that they cannot do that.

When I asked what will happen at POE when she travels to the US next time, I was told that she basically overstayed her visa, but because it is only one day it depends on officer at POE if she will be admitted.

The gentleman was describing that if the officer will admit her to the US at that point depends on factors like if he had good or bad morning coffee that day.

At the end, he gave us suggestion. He said that once you go back to your country, go to the US consulate and explain what happened. They (US consulate personnel) have power to void previous visa which will void overstay and issue new tourist visa.

I hope this will help someone who is in "The act of God" situation.

Thanks,

Balkanboy

An overstay of 1 day does not have any sort of bar associated with it. The bars start at 180 days. However, even 1 day of overstay will cancel the existing visa. She will need to get a new visa issued. Given the circumstances, I don't think they will hold the overstay against her or otherwise prejudice their decision.

Never wait until the last day to leave...these things do happen.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Yup, like weguygal says, might be hindsight but it is NEVER a good idea to book anything on the last day (or even last couple of days) of something expiring. You have to leave room for things like this.

How the embassy responds may depend what country it is. I tend to agree with geowrian, but for countries with lots of overstay issues it might be a problem.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
10 minutes ago, balkanboy said:

They (US consulate personnel) have power to void previous visa which will void overstay and issue new tourist visa.

For the experts....is this true?? @geowrian

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

And this why you NEVER schedule your flight on last possible moment. 

If she was on VWP then overstaying means she most that privilege forever  

If she was on tourist visa then overstay means her visa is no longer valid and if she wants to visit USA again she needs to go to embassy and get another visa. 

The embassy won't void her overstay lol. They will tell her the same thing - it was her fault to wait until last day to leave States. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

5 minutes ago, missileman said:

For the experts....is this true?? @geowrian

That would be news to me! haha The CO cannot turn back time and erase a past overstay...not without a time machine, at least.

What they can do is issue a new visa without holding that overstay against them (as they could for anybody with an overstay <180 days).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Let me be more specific.

First, the relative is not from VWP country.

Second, if US consulate issues new tourist visa, her next entry using new visa will not depend if immigration officer had bad morning coffee or not.

It is true that there is no "Act of God" provision in the overstay rule. However, it makes sense to try to explain at US consulate what happened. Generally speaking, in the situation when you are "hit by the bus" X days before your stamp in the passport expires and you are in the hospital for X+1 days, you also overstayed. It is hard to imagine that if you can prove what happened, law is so blind (or maybe it is?)

Finally, the suggestion came from two immigration officers.

Balkanboy

5 minutes ago, geowrian said:

That would be news to me! haha The CO cannot turn back time and erase a past overstay...not without a time machine, at least.

What they can do is issue a new visa without holding that overstay against them (as they could for anybody with an overstay <180 days).

Yup, that overstay will be on the system forever. What will help her is that the embassy issued a new visa (assuming it does), which is a  positive signal to the CBP officer examining her for admission on her next trip.

Which leads me to a sidetracked observation... if it's a visa, that was probably a 6-month stay. Is that correct? if so she needs to be careful about how often she visits, if she usually stays that long. A one-off one day overstay might not in itself be an issue, and if this is just one instance of such a long stay it also wouldn't be a concern, but if on examining her travel history as a result of the new visa application they find she is spending "too much" time in the US, then that could be a problem for getting a new visa.

3 minutes ago, balkanboy said:

Let me be more specific.

Second, if US consulate issues new tourist visa, her next entry using new visa will not depend if immigration officer had bad morning coffee or not.

It is true that there is no "Act of God" provision in the overstay rule. However, it makes sense to try to explain at US consulate what happened. Generally speaking, in the situation when you are "hit by the bus" X days before your stamp in the passport expires and you are in the hospital for X+1 days, you also overstayed. It is hard to imagine that if you can prove what happened, law is so blind (or maybe it is?)

Balkanboy

They will generally be more sympathetic to being hit by a bus than by arranging a last-day flight out.

Also, having a visa does not guarantee admission, new or not.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
1 minute ago, balkanboy said:

Let me be more specific.

Balkanboy

1.  No one is guaranteed entry to the US other than US citizens.  If a CBP officer suspects your relative is misusing a visa, he/she can deny entry to your relative.

2.  This overstay was not a "hit by a bus" situation.  It was simply poor planning by your relative.

3.  The overstay happened.  It is a historical fact.  The visa with which your relative entered the US can not be erased as if it never happened.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

My understanding is:

Her overstay of 1 day voided her existing visa. She needs to get a new visa to enter US next time. Her new visa approval depends on how the CO interprets her 1 day overstay and of course new conditions at that time. If she gets the new visa, her entry to USA depends on how understanding the POE officer is about her 1 day overstay.

Regardless, the overstay will stay on the record, it’s about if the CO and the POE officers will be convinced about that 1 day overstay was not in her control.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Do you honestly think someone can void a used visa, thereby erasing the history of your relative's entry into the US? 

17 minutes ago, balkanboy said:

That is always a factor...no entry is guaranteed except for a USC. A recently-issued visa holder is not usually turned away because of past (known by/disclosed to the CO) conduct.

Correct. They can be forgiving in consideration for a new visa, but they cannot ignore an overstay (especially if it's due to poor decision making).

I'm assuming you mean CBP officers at the airport. While they are familiar with parts of immigration law (obviously), they don't handle overstays or the issuing of visas. That's a completely different department (CBP is under DHS whereas COs are under DOS) with different policies and such. Fundamentally they weren't wrong on the steps...get a new visa from the CO...but the specifics as stated was incorrect (they cannot void the visa and make the overstay disappear).

Edit: For an analogy, imagine going to the DMV and being told you can't get a license because your Social Security Card has your old name in the system. The DMV worker can point you at where he thinks you need to go (the SSA), but he doesn't know what their policies are to change a name...he just needs it fixed.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.