Rem79

PLEASE HELP! DACA with prior deportation

79 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
9 hours ago, Rem79 said:

What can we do?

He would have to be legally divorced for you to be able to petition for him.  There is no way around that.

One option is for him to wait out his ban in Mexico, and you visit him from time to time.

Another option is for you to move to Mexico and live with him while he waits out his ban.

Either way, he would still have to be divorced for you to petition for him....there is no way to "transfer" his case under you.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

U visas are not easy to get,  kind of a false hope line for a lawyer ;looking for money.   ( how do you arrange to be a witness to a crime without being involved  which would be more than stupid in his case )   Changing spouses is going to look bad,  like he is trying to keep a USC spouse for green card purposes.   The 9c mean there is a 99.9999 % chance he is going to have to leave the country for 10 years.  It is kind of a do it now or do it later decision.   That being said , after those 10 years he will need someone that will have a qualifying hardship to get the waiver that will allow him to return.   Your case is like swimming uphill is a pool of molasses. 

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 hours ago, Rem79 said:

I'm going to type the whole story so all information is here... it may be long but I appreciate the help more than you know!

My boyfriend of over 2 years is trying to obtain his residence and I am looking to help him/maybe be his (new) sponsor.  Here is his story...

When he was approximately 9 years old he first came to the US with his family and lived (and went to school, 4th grade) here for about a year (around 1990).  They returned to Mexico after that year and he came back to the US with his father and uncle and other adult men when he was 17 years old (1998).  They were caught in Oklahoma (on his 17th birthday) and he was in jail for about 2 months before seeing a judge (1999).  When he had his hearing, the judge was present via speaker phone.  He was deported and said he remembers signing something saying he wouldn't return for 10 years; this was his one "forgiveness".  He came back to the US about 3-4 months later (still 1999) and has been here ever since.  In 2007 married a US citizen, and they had a baby; they had their second child in 2012.  She applied for the I-130 on his behalf twice and was denied both times because of the deportation.  He applied for DACA at the advice of his lawyer and was approved (almost/about a year ago).  She then reapplied for the I-130 and it was finally accepted (roughly 8 months ago, maybe less).  He has a US SSN, driver's license, and a 2 year work permit.  He also meets with ICE annually or every 2 years.  

They have a lawyer that they've been working with for the last few years but he's discouraged with the lack of progress.  He has sought the advice of two other attorneys and has basically been told that his case is very complicated and he should wait and see what Congress decides about DACA.  The last one told him that a U Visa would be the only thing that "forgives" the deportation.  He was also told to keep his I-130 with him and be sure to continue to renew it (I think in case of amnesty).

Here's where the questions lie:  we want to be together and are trying to find out if he can continue the process with me.  The only reason they ever got married was because she got pregnant.  They were never in love, but now he's feeling trapped in a situation he doesn't want to be in, though he loves his children more than anything in the world.  What can we do?

(Please no hateful stuff here.... we're very much in love and we are both good people who have found themselves in a difficult situation.)

The bolded above should show how he messed up and no way would they approve it. DACA is barely a legal status, yet they messed up because he should never have been approved for it, unless he lied about something when he applied? Potentially add that as misrepresentation on top of all of this.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

The bolded above should show how he messed up and no way would they approve it. DACA is barely a legal status, yet they messed up because he should never have been approved for it, unless he lied about something when he applied? Potentially add that as misrepresentation on top of all of this.

In addition, I would not surprised if his DACA status ended when he left the US at age 10.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

DACA is an Obama thing, he is 36 so got it relatively recently.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

What is your objective? If you want to be with him, then the easiest would be for you two to move to Mexico and live happily ever after.

Best of luck.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

DACA is an Obama thing, he is 36 so got it relatively recently.

My point is ...did he really qualify since he left after being brought here at 9 yo. It's an interesting question.......all brought about by (imo) an illegal EO.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
  • Came to the United States before their 16th birthday
  • Have lived continuously in the United States since June 15, 2007
  • Were under age 31 on June 15, 2012 (born on June 16, 1981 or after)
  • Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making their request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS
  • Had no lawful status on June 15, 2012
  • Have completed high school or a GED, have been honorably discharged from the armed forces, or are enrolled in school
  • Have not been convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanors, or three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:
  • Came to the United States before their 16th birthday
  • Have lived continuously in the United States since June 15, 2007
  • Were under age 31 on June 15, 2012 (born on June 16, 1981 or after)
  • Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making their request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS
  • Had no lawful status on June 15, 2012
  • Have completed high school or a GED, have been honorably discharged from the armed forces, or are enrolled in school
  • Have not been convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanors, or three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety

He doesn't qualify.....He was 17 when he came to the US.

Timeline

OP said he was 9 when he first came.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

OP said he was 9 when he first came.

But he left a year later....and returned 8 years after that.....just seems to me that the break in presence should disqualify him......but I'm speculating.

Edited by missileman

Timeline

I think he was here for 8 years, anyway that does not matter he seems to have qualified, not a factor either way.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, NigeriaorBust said:

U visas are not easy to get,  kind of a false hope line for a lawyer ;looking for money.   ( how do you arrange to be a witness to a crime without being involved  which would be more than stupid in his case )   Changing spouses is going to look bad,  like he is trying to keep a USC spouse for green card purposes.   The 9c mean there is a 99.9999 % chance he is going to have to leave the country for 10 years.  It is kind of a do it now or do it later decision.   That being said , after those 10 years he will need someone that will have a qualifying hardship to get the waiver that will allow him to return.   Your case is like swimming uphill is a pool of molasses. 

There was a much publicized case here in the Detroit area where a couple started the AOS process back in 2005 (IIRC) fought it with the help of lawyers and was deported late last year.  I thought the same thing, why not go back when the 10 yr bar was uncovered instead of fighting it for twelve years.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline

You can drag the process out, I think many were expecting Amnesty from Obama. Of course in the end we are all dead so just a question of dragging it out long enough.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.