Rem79

PLEASE HELP! DACA with prior deportation

79 posts in this topic

Ok going to attempt to reply to all relevant comments above... bear with me.  I'm unaware of the meaning of some acronyms used here too.  Like "EO".  (Very new to this site.)

• Moving to Mexico is an option, but we are looking to avoid it so he doesn't have to leave his children.  
  • He has never lied on any of his paperwork or applications, so I don't think misrepresentation is going to be an issue. 
  • Based on the bullet points "Boiler" posted above, he does qualify for DACA. 
  • He is not considering attempting to obtain a U Visa... was just given as info.

So now..... since his I-130 was accepted with his wife as the sponsor, is there anything they should be doing, or applying for, to move things along a little faster?    

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Rem79 said:

Ok going to attempt to reply to all relevant comments above... bear with me.  I'm unaware of the meaning of some acronyms used here too.  Like "EO".  (Very new to this site.)

• Moving to Mexico is an option, but we are looking to avoid it so he doesn't have to leave his children.  
  • He has never lied on any of his paperwork or applications, so I don't think misrepresentation is going to be an issue. 
  • Based on the bullet points "Boiler" posted above, he does qualify for DACA. 
  • He is not considering attempting to obtain a U Visa... was just given as info.

So now..... since his I-130 was accepted with his wife as the sponsor, is there anything they should be doing, or applying for, to move things along a little faster?    

He has control of the clock, it is up to him, assuming he does not get deported again.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

17 minutes ago, Rem79 said:

EO = Executive Order.

He doesn't qualify for AOS since he has no status to adjust from (Entry Without Inspection: EWI). So the only way for him to gain legal status is to interview for a visa at a consulate abroad. The approved I-130 (once NVC processing is complete) lets him do this. He needs to show a bona fide marriage to the petitioner (not just legally married, but proof that it is a legitimate marriage not just for immigration purposes). However, he will be refused the visa due to the 9C bar. Once 10 years outside the US have passed, he may qualify for a waiver...although given the state of the marriage, presumably he may have a new petition/petitioner by then.

The alternative is to wait it out and see what happens with DACA and/or immigration reform.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Boiler, not sure what you mean, "he has control of the clock..."

Geo: Sounds like he needs to stay put (in his marriage) from what you're suggesting.  It is bona fide, as they reside together, have accounts together, children, a mortgage, etc.  Additionally, she is unaware of my existence and they are living as a married couple.  Unhappily married, but married nonetheless.  

1 hour ago, Bill & Katya said:

There was a much publicized case here in the Detroit area where a couple started the AOS process back in 2005 (IIRC) fought it with the help of lawyers and was deported late last year.  I thought the same thing, why not go back when the 10 yr bar was uncovered instead of fighting it for twelve years.

What case was that Bill?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Since he does not have a legal status the 1-601a should be filed as it is a waiver. He will then have to leave the US to interview in Mexico. When he leaves the US he will trigger his ban which is probably a 9c. That means he is not eligible for a waiver until he is outside the US for 10 years.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Rem79 said:

Geo: Sounds like he needs to stay put (in his marriage) from what you're suggesting.  It is bona fide, as they reside together, have accounts together, children, a mortgage, etc.  Additionally, she is unaware of my existence and they are living as a married couple.  Unhappily married, but married nonetheless.  

The 10 years does not start until he voluntarily departs, so the sooner her departs the sooner it is over. He should ensure he evidences his departure.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 minutes ago, belinda63 said:

Since he does not have a legal status the 1-601a should be filed as it is a waiver. He will then have to leave the US to interview in Mexico. When he leaves the US he will trigger his ban which is probably a 9c. That means he is not eligible for a waiver until he is outside the US for 10 years.

He will need a I 212 to come back, but that is a long time away.

10 minutes ago, belinda63 said:

No point getting the I-601A since it becomes invalid if refused for another inadmissability, which would be the case here. The 10 year wait, an I-212, and an I-601 would be needed.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Rem79 said:

Well, he's avoiding going to Mexico at all costs, so it seems we just need to wait out the decisions of Congress surrounding DACA recipients.  :(

OK, you mentioned the I 130 several times so not not sure why that was filed.

5 minutes ago, Rem79 said:

Well, he's avoiding going to Mexico at all costs, so it seems we just need to wait out the decisions of Congress surrounding DACA recipients.  :(

Likely DACA will be going away.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
24 minutes ago, Rem79 said:

How is it bona fide when you explicitly said they got married because the wife was pregnant and they don't love each other?

Timeline
1 minute ago, mcdull said:

How is it bona fide when you explicitly said they got married because the wife was pregnant and they don't love each other?

shotgun_wedding.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.