americaninlove

Just submitted I-129F but question about post k1 visa

45 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, americaninlove said:

Thanks to lots of advice here I finally got the application completed and mailed today (phew). Assuming the timeline I see here, I would expect my fiancé to receive his K1 visa by September. September would be ideal for him to come and we would marry in October when my daughter is home from college. 

Questions—my fiancé has a wedding to attend for a family member in November in Ireland. Can he go to that?? If we file a change of status as soon as we are married in October, how soon could he be eligible to work? What about getting a drivers license?

thank you!

When you go through a K1, and in dealing with the USCIS in general -- a big tip is to expect nothing. I'm serious. Don't expect it to happen when you think it should, as it likely won't. If it does, thank your stars. It's an ever changing situation - K1s are taking long now, but this could increase even more as the months go on.

As for the rest of your questions: I find it very unlikely he would be able to leave in the timeframe you're looking at. So he may have to plan to miss out on it. If he leaves without AP he cannot return. An EAD/AP can take up to 90-120 days, but you can always expect, like everything else, for it to take longer. Nothing is guaranteed. And remember, even if you have an EAD, this does not mean he will find work right away. This was the case for my husband, who found no employer interested in him until his green card arrived. As for a driver's license - it will depend on a few things. You can technically obtain a temporary license that will expire when the K1/I94 does - making it pretty useless at that. The easiest way to obtain a 1 year license is to go to the DMV with the EAD (and make sure he has his SSN and some other documentation done too by this time). How fast he will obtain a license via that process will depend on if he has driven before and has a valid foreign license. If he does - good; you can bypass some rules and get it within a couple days. If he doesn't - you start from scratch as a newbie driver like most young kids, and that will take a long time.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, yuna628 said:

When you go through a K1, and in dealing with the USCIS in general -- a big tip is to expect nothing. I'm serious. Don't expect it to happen when you think it should, as it likely won't. If it does, thank your stars. It's an ever changing situation - K1s are taking long now, but this could increase even more as the months go on.

As for the rest of your questions: I find it very unlikely he would be able to leave in the timeframe you're looking at. So he may have to plan to miss out on it. If he leaves without AP he cannot return. An EAD/AP can take up to 90-120 days, but you can always expect, like everything else, for it to take longer. Nothing is guaranteed. And remember, even if you have an EAD, this does not mean he will find work right away. This was the case for my husband, who found no employer interested in him until his green card arrived. As for a driver's license - it will depend on a few things. You can technically obtain a temporary license that will expire when the K1/I94 does - making it pretty useless at that. The easiest way to obtain a 1 year license is to go to the DMV with the EAD (and make sure he has his SSN and some other documentation done too by this time). How fast he will obtain a license via that process will depend on if he has driven before and has a valid foreign license. If he does - good; you can bypass some rules and get it within a couple days. If he doesn't - you start from scratch as a newbie driver like most young kids, and that will take a long time.

DMV rules are state specific, so what works in your state or my state may be different in the OPs state

YMMV

7 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Thanks. This was very helpful. I will look up the state specific driver laws. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

actaully probably not going to have that visa by September and even if fiancee does, they can travel within 6 months of the medical exam so he could attend the NOvember wedding and then come

K1 taking a lot longer now than it use to

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Please do not think VJ'ers judge

they respond to things as have happened to others from reading over many years

we are here to help and you may not see answers you want to see

but it is the way immigration works,  not us

it is the truth and harsh reality 

you will be more forunate as you deal with Germany

and things will go more smoothly for u

God bless your new relationship

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
45 minutes ago, americaninlove said:

You submitted your I129f in may of ‘17 and have your interview 8 months later? Want to make sure I understand. 

That's right :) NOA1 May 12th, NOA2 November 16th 2017. NVC finally came through in early January and I managed to have my medical last week and my interview next week. All in all it will probably be about 10 months total before POE (assuming all goes well) :clock:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

September is not a realistic timeline if you just submitted today. K1 processing is currently taking 9-12 months. After POE the K1 holder cannot leave the country until they receive AP and that is taking about 6 months to get after they apply. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
3 hours ago, americaninlove said:

Thanks to lots of advice here I finally got the application completed and mailed today (phew). Assuming the timeline I see here, I would expect my fiancé to receive his K1 visa by September. September would be ideal for him to come and we would marry in October when my daughter is home from college. 

Questions—my fiancé has a wedding to attend for a family member in November in Ireland. Can he go to that?? If we file a change of status as soon as we are married in October, how soon could he be eligible to work? What about getting a drivers license?

thank you!

Hey, 

Congratulations on your submission! I’m from Northern Ireland myself and got my NOA1 on 29th Dec 17. I myself personally have the goal of POE all being well for November even being a Dec filer. 

I always believe, like my fiancé, that you should always expect the worst regarding dates for POE and hope for the best of course. Our adjudication is expected around Mid-July and then the medical and others will add onto that time...

I hope everything works out well. But with everything in limbo until you get your NOA2 it’s hard to plan anything I guess. I hope everything works out and by goodness I’ll miss my beautiful little country! 

Good luck, 

Jon 🍀

Edited by jakejon

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
3 hours ago, americaninlove said:

thank you!

Hmmm, if you mailed today having a visa on hand in September is ambitious. The timeline here gives you estimated time of approval but doesn't count NVC transfer or the time it takes to get to the embassy plus medical and interview. Things have been moving faster but not that fast. 

5 hours ago, americaninlove said:

thank you!

Your expectations are a bit too optimistic. I think he will not receive his visa before November, processing has been very slow. So he could easily attend the wedding before moving to the US.

I know people who got their EAD in 2 months, but it took 6 months for me, and I know some people have to wait even longer than that. So be prepared for a long wait. Hopefully he'll find things to do to keep busy. Those 6 months of sitting at home were very difficult for me, a lot more difficult than I had expected. 

My state would not issue a driver's license without an EAD, hopefully that will be different in your state.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

November is a more realistic time frame for you. If that’s the case he might as well stay for the wedding and then fly to the states. Once the k1 visa is issued, the holder has 6months to live his/her country and 90 days to get married once he step a foot here.

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
6 hours ago, payxibka said:

That's why a K-1 is 9-10+ months from petition to POE

Well some are. There are prime who filed in Nov and received their NOA2 in 66 days. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Cheschirecat said:

Well some are. There are prime who filed in Nov and received their NOA2 in 66 days. 

Alledgedly one.  One does not make a trend.  

YMMV

1 hour ago, Cheschirecat said:

It’s more than one... 

A small handful* (but I think the point was the same)

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.