americaninlove

Just submitted I-129F but question about post k1 visa

45 posts in this topic

Thanks to lots of advice here I finally got the application completed and mailed today (phew). Assuming the timeline I see here, I would expect my fiancé to receive his K1 visa by September. September would be ideal for him to come and we would marry in October when my daughter is home from college. 

Questions—my fiancé has a wedding to attend for a family member in November in Ireland. Can he go to that?? If we file a change of status as soon as we are married in October, how soon could he be eligible to work? What about getting a drivers license?

thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm still going through the K1 process, so not entirely sure, but from what I understand that is way too soon for him to be thinking about leaving the US.

From what I've read it takes around 90 days for the paperwork for advanced parole and work permit (is that what it's called?... not sure) to come through.

It would almost certainly be easier for him to just stay in Ireland, go to the wedding, then plan on your own marriage for December if going to the wedding is important to him. 

There are probably a lot more people with more specific advice and better knowledge than me though. This is just based on various things I've read!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

he can't leave the country or get the drivers license before he has an ead and ap. That takes about 90 days after filing which you can do after getting married. 

Also i think the process takes about 9 months so he can probably get to the US in October if everything goes well.. I wouldn't plan a wedding so early in the process

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

He can attend the wedding...  He probably won't be able to come back...  AP/EAD takes 4-5 months after AOS is applied for.  Your timeline needs seem to make success impossible

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
5 minutes ago, payxibka said:

He can attend the wedding...  He probably won't be able to come back...  AP/EAD takes 4-5 months after AOS is applied for.  Your timeline needs seem to make success impossible

November filers already are getting their ead so it takes about 3 currently 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ToTheMoonAndBack said:

November filers already are getting their ead so it takes about 3 currently 

Still not fast enough for the OP

YMMV

Such things should have been considered before filing. Had you got married and gone with a CR-1 he would gave been able to work immediately upon arrival, go to the wedding in Ireland and get a driver's license immediately. As it stands you've chosen the K-1 and one of the three is going to be impossible (attending the wedding) unless he waits until after the wedding to come here, one will take at least three months after filing AOS, which comes after the marriage (working) and the other may be possible right away but will depend on your state of residence (driving). 

Too late now, I suppose, but will serve as useful information for people in a similar situation wondering which visa path to take. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Just now, JFH said:

Such things should have been considered before filing. Had you got married and gone with a CR-1 he would gave been able to work immediately upon arrival, go to the wedding in Ireland and get a driver's license immediately. As it stands you've chosen the K-1 and one of the three is going to be impossible (attending the wedding) unless he waits until after the wedding to come here, one will take at least three months after filing AOS, which comes after the marriage (working) and the other may be possible right away but will depend on your state of residence (driving). 

Too late now, I suppose, but will serve as useful information for people in a similar situation wondering which visa path to take. 

Of course we considered. But if we had married and gone with a CR-1 he wouldn’t be here by November anyway most likely. So it doesn’t really matter. As for the driving and working, he doesn’t need that immediately. I was just wondering what the timeline is. 

I suppose he can wait until after the wedding is over in November to come here on the K1 visa and then we will get married after that. That’s up to him whether he wants to miss the wedding or not so I’ll let him know. 

Sounds odd that you asked "how soon could he be eligible for work" if you can manage just fine on one income (assume you have looked into health insurance costs for him too?). But being able to work right away is more than just having an income. It's about getting into a routine here, making friends and contacts, a sense of achievement, etc. Also in many fields, the longer you are out of work, the harder it is to get back into it and often not at the level you left. It's also about having status as a permanent resident immediately. Under the current administration I wouldn't feel comfortable not having permanent status for a year or so.

But water under the bridge now. You asked in August which path was better and the overwhelming majority of answers was a CR-1. We weren't kidding. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

4 minutes ago, JFH said:

Sounds odd that you asked "how soon could he be eligible for work" if you can manage just fine on one income (assume you have looked into health insurance costs for him too?). But being able to work right away is more than just having an income. It's about getting into a routine here, making friends and contacts, a sense of achievement, etc. Also in many fields, the longer you are out of work, the harder it is to get back into it and often not at the level you left. It's also about having status as a permanent resident immediately. Under the current administration I wouldn't feel comfortable not having permanent status for a year or so.

But water under the bridge now. You asked in August which path was better and the overwhelming majority of answers was a CR-1. We weren't kidding. 

Wow such vitriol!!! Amazing!

It's more of a harsh reality, IMO.

If being able to travel abroad quickly was part of the consideration and you chose to do a K-1 anyway, then you've accepted the consequences of that decision. It's harsh and I'm sorry he can't come beforehand and still make the wedding abroad, but it sounds like this was considered in that choice.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
20 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

I would not expect him to be here by September. Current timeline is 6-7 months for k1 approval, but then it needs time to go to nvc, be transferred to his country and get interview scheduled. If your timeline said estimated approval, that's just for the petition not the whole process. 

Agreed. I have my interview in a few days, I started the process in May last year. 

36 minutes ago, geowrian said:

It's more of a harsh reality, IMO.

If being able to travel abroad quickly was part of the consideration and you chose to do a K-1 anyway, then you've accepted the consequences of that decision. It's harsh and I'm sorry he can't come beforehand and still make the wedding abroad, but it sounds like this was considered in that choice.

I was just asking a question re timeline. If he can’t make the wedding that’s fine. Was just looking for facts, not judgment. 

16 minutes ago, tpmd said:

Agreed. I have my interview in a few days, I started the process in May last year. 

You submitted your I129f in may of ‘17 and have your interview 8 months later? Want to make sure I understand. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, americaninlove said:

I was just asking a question re timeline. If he can’t make the wedding that’s fine. Was just looking for facts, not judgment. 

You submitted your I129f in may of ‘17 and have your interview 8 months later? Want to make sure I understand. 

That's why a K-1 is 9-10+ months from petition to POE

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.