zandtee

me and my overseas wife only skype once a week or once a month now is that ok?

45 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

when we first met we would chat on fb almost daily.  After getting married and me returning to the us, we dont skype as often because of work and internet issues on her end.  We skype once or week or once every 2 weeks and sometimes even just once a month.  Will this make it harder for her? i've visited her 3x though and have over 1000 pictures.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, jandtee said:

when we first met we would chat on fb almost daily.  After getting married and me returning to the us, we dont skype as often because of work and internet issues on her end.  We skype once or week or once every 2 weeks and sometimes even just once a month.  Will this make it harder for her? i've visited her 3x though and have over 1000 pictures.

my mistake meant to say I visited twice not 3x.  I do plan to visit her a 3rd time though in the future.  I've known her since 2014 .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hmmm not much communication isn’t a very good especially if that comes up in the interview. Married couples should be taking on a daily basis.

I talked to my wife twice a day through facetime and WhatsApp/Line. We both worked and internet connection was ok in Saigon. 

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
21 minutes ago, cyclone27 said:

Hmmm not much communication isn’t a very good especially if that comes up in the interview. Married couples should be taking on a daily basis.

I talked to my wife twice a day through facetime and WhatsApp/Line. We both worked and internet connection was ok in Saigon. 

Agree   if you were able to talk every day in the beginning ,  you should be able to talk daily now

doesn't look good to say internet was ok then and not now

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
1 hour ago, jandtee said:

I would be concerned that would be a problem for you.   As a married couple unless one of you was in the service or something that would make it difficult to chat you should be chatting daily.   My husband and I are on video 3 to 4 times a day for hours...I think if we missed one day our day would be completely off.   Thinking on the embassy point of view it looks like you talked a lot before marriage then died down after could look like you got what you wanted.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Bad internet is not always a bad excuse I can tell you that from first hand experience. A year ago we would be on facetime for hours, these days I'm happy if the connection stays well enough for a brief glimpse of him. My wifi reception is acting up for some unknown reason and there's a broken cell tower they wont fix on his end. It's really frustrating.

We still try facetime at least once a day. If the wifi gods are on our side we facetime for hours, if not, we just call. The other day we had 6 hours on the log. That's with a 7 hour time difference and one 8 and one 12 hour workday. Pretty good if I say so myself. ^_^

I do agree that once a month might be a bit problematic, not just for your visa but for your marriage. Its sharing your life. I do dishes with him on a call. Walk the dogs. Drive to work. I wouldn't want it any other way.

06.01.2016 met online                                                                    

06.23.2017 met in person                                                              

12.16.2017 got engaged

K1 fiance visa

12.20.2017 K1 filed

12.22.2017 NOA-1

07.10.2018 NOA-2 (200 days)

07.18.2018 case at NVC (case number available on 07.20)

7.26.2018 case at Amsterdam Consulate

7.27-2018 P3 through e-mail

08.02.2018 medical

08.14.2018 interview APPROVED 

08.21.2018 POE

08.25.2018 💕Married 💕

AOS adjustment of status and AP/EAD 

08.27.2018 filed AOS, AP and EAD

08.30.2018 NOA-1 on all 3

9.21.2018 RFE on AOS

9.28.2018 replied to RFE

10.04.2018 biometrics appointment Louisville

11.29.2018 AOS interview Indianapolis  

01.28.2019 AOS approved

ROC removal of conditions

12.7.2020 filed ROC 

1.30.2021 NOA-1

5.28.2021 existing biometrics applied (no new biometrics done)

10.27.2021 ROC approved (no interview)

Check your case status: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov

Call USCIS: 800-375-5283 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
2 hours ago, jandtee said:

Our CR1 application consisted mostly of evidence of our face to face visits. We actually submitted very few chat transcripts. In her interview, the CO asked zero questions about how often we chat online or call on the telephone. So based on our experience, you might have little to worry about in regards to having success with your application.

My wife and I found our online communication dropped off after our marriage. We still chatted multiple times a week but not necessarily daily. The real work of our marriage occurred once she arrived in the USA. Increasing frequency of chats prior to marriage would have made no difference, and might have even been counterproductive because the stress of being apart caused us to argue much more often after marriage than before marriage.  Good luck.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Timeline
2 hours ago, cyclone27 said:

she's not from saigon.  She's from a rural village in hanoi.  We would skype more often but her internet would usually droop.  During a typical skype call id talk to her for like 5 minutes then it dropts.  We recall and same.  We still send fb messages as often as possible but sometimes she doesnt receive them until later.  

Timeline
2 hours ago, kris&me said:

Agree   if you were able to talk every day in the beginning ,  you should be able to talk daily now

doesn't look good to say internet was ok then and not now

we've known since 2014 and she use to be in the city now shes back in her rural village to stay with family.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Eric-Pris said:

Don't you WANT to chat with her more often?  It doesn't sound like you do.  If you did, you would make time.  Internet issues are a bad excuse.  It's 2017, even everybody in the Amazon jungle has internet now.

If you are ok to chat once a week (or once a month?  YIKES!!!), you should really take a close look at this relationship.

of course i do and we try.  She said next year she'll be back in the city area where internet is more stable and reliable.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Little_Vixen said:

Bad internet is not always a bad excuse I can tell you that from first hand experience. A year ago we would be on facetime for hours, these days I'm happy if the connection stays well enough for a brief glimpse of him. My wifi reception is acting up for some unknown reason and there's a broken cell tower they wont fix on his end. It's really frustrating.

We still try facetime at least once a day. If the wifi gods are on our side we facetime for hours, if not, we just call. The other day we had 6 hours on the log. That's with a 7 hour time difference and one 8 and one 12 hour workday. Pretty good if I say so myself. ^_^

I do agree that once a month might be a bit problematic, not just for your visa but for your marriage. Its sharing your life. I do dishes with him on a call. Walk the dogs. Drive to work. I wouldn't want it any other way.

well its usually once a week but once a month was just for 1 month.  Shouldn't have said "sometimes once a month".  More like within 8 months o us getting married there was a  month where we only chatted once.  Now we do once a week.  Should also tell her to get a landline phone and look for international phone plans that may be better.  I got sprint so i wonder if spring allows calls to northern vietnam 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

You could always go 'old fashioned' and write to one another? My then Fiance and I wrote letters and left emails since when we first met internet was a one computer per household kind of thing. We improvised. I stalked the post man a lot and my inbox plus when he'd deploy I'd send care packages with enough in to tide him over till the next one got there and he did the same. There are ways around poor internet or phone reception. Be creative ^.^ do it cause your wife is your wife and you want to always go the extra mile. :) It'll make the distance more bearable too. 

I will say though, as soon as international calling was a thing we talked all the time to the point where we ran out of things to say. A day or so in between calls isn't a bad thing all the time. 

event.png

Timeline
Just now, Ischnura said:

You could always go 'old fashioned' and write to one another? My then Fiance and I wrote letters and left emails since when we first met internet was a one computer per household kind of thing. We improvised. I stalked the post man a lot and my inbox plus when he'd deploy I'd send care packages with enough in to tide him over till the next one got there and he did the same. There are ways around poor internet or phone reception. Be creative ^.^ do it cause your wife is your wife and you want to always go the extra mile. :) It'll make the distance more bearable too. 

I will say though, as soon as international calling was a thing we talked all the time to the point where we ran out of things to say. A day or so in between calls isn't a bad thing all the time. 

yeah Iam old and I know how much technology has taken over our lives.  You are a genius.  I forgot about good old fashioned letters.  Letters mean more when they are written by hand.  I have sent her a few postcards though but letters are a great idea.  I was a kid when aol email was released.  The village she's from is also pretty ancient.  Will take weeks for the letters to arrive but I do feel they have more meaning in them.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.