superjim

Should we have filed with DCF?!

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Hijack post along with reply to said post removed.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

There was a DCF user a few months back whose lawyer filed his petition in the US instead of to the London field office. Pretty sure he was able to withdraw his original I130 and resubmit via DCF. Might be worth asking him for advice. Here's the thread 

Also, how long ago did you submit? I think it is definitely worth it to resubmit as long as you submitted less than 3-6 months ago. According to the timelines on here, DCF in London is taking about 4 months from NOA1 to interview. If you remain at the Texas Service Center you're looking at 12-14 months total, so if you recently submitted you could end up saving 8-10 months.

Edited by Jorge Valdivia

DCF Mexico

06/04/2017: Married

06/24/2017: Mailed I-130

06/27/2017: NOA1 (technically a RFE as we were missing beneficiary ID)

07/06/2017: NOA2

07/12/2017: Case assigned by Juarez embassy

07/17/2017: Packet 3 received

08/15/2017: Interview/Approval!

08/22/2017: Visa received via DHL

09/03/2017: POE

09/16/2017: Permanent Resident Card received

Total days from NOA1 to approval: 49

I wrote a DCF Mexico guide! http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php?title=DCF_Mexico

I would file dcf with london asap.  Yes you can have 2 files going at the same time. Ask @N-o-l-a about it.  Your spouse does not have to stay in the UK for the entire filing, just needed to be able to file (living in UK legally for last 6 months).  

After you refile with DCF so you're not wasting time, start suing rapidvisa for being utter morons. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Ugh! How terrible for you. This is one of those times that you need to throw money at a problem to make it go away. I'm a London DCFer from back in the day, and the whole process is very straightforward and fast. It's been averaging 4-5 months from filing to visa for the past 10 years I've been on VJ, and you should take advantage of that in your situation. 

Please, PLEASE do not give up on pursuing compensation for the mess-up caused by Rapidvisa. It is their fault you need to pay the filing fee twice -- you specifically asked if you should file through the consulate and they gave you staggeringly wrong advice, wasting your money, time and aggravation. I worry that by counselling you to file Stateside and for your wife to change her address back to the US, Rapidvisa may have veered into "unauthorized practice of law" land. You may wish to keep this in mind when telling them that they need to refund your money. Some useful reading on this topic as it relates to immigration consultants is available here: https://cliniclegal.org/upil 

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Thank you everyone for your advice, its nice to hear from people who understand what we are talking about (its like reading hieroglyphics trying to decipher the US government forms, UK isnt much better though!).

An update:  I emailed the USCIS office in London late last night and they responded first thing this morning (really impressed).  They advised me that YES, we SHOULD have filed the petition with them.  Secondly, they advised that we CAN file our petition with them before cancelling the one in Texas,  they actually recommended this as it can take a while for the cancellation to be processed.

They also, very helpfully, sent across the processing times and some helpful checklists with the actual forms we need to submit.

So, we are now in the position of having to re-file.  Pulling together the  stuff tonight and tomorrow to post out tomorrow.  Will write to Texas to cancel the current petition.

I also emailed a complaint to RapidVisa.  I explained that their staff had been made aware (on several occasions) that we both resided in the UK, and that I had asked the specific question about direct consular filing and had not been giving the correct advice or option to file directly.  I await their response.  Hoping to get at least the fee we paid them for their services back, if not the filing fee itself.  Will need to look at courses of action if they chose to be difficult.

Further note: There is a little bit about cancelling and refiling petitions on the US gov website, it infers that cancelling and re-filing could be seen as (but is not evidence of) something untoward.  I asked the question to the London office but they didnt answer that (I guess they perhaps cant offer advice on the likelihood of petitions succeeding).   Should we file the petition in London and maybe wait a while before we cancel the Texas one? Its hard to know what will show as worse, two petitions or a cancelled petition...

2 hours ago, superjim said:

I also emailed a complaint to RapidVisa.  I explained that their staff had been made aware (on several occasions) that we both resided in the UK

When I was first starting our process I got pricing quotes from several law firms around Dallas. I based my choices around Google reviews, which also means that I was talking to some of the priciest options.

When talking to these lawyers I would make sure to tell them our situation, including that we lived in Mexico, and always asked for the shortest possible process. I was quoted $4,500+ by three firms and none of them mentioned DCF. I was almost ready to bite the bullet until I found VJ's DCF forum and decided to just do it myself. I know this doesn't help you but I did want to share my experience. It was frustrating to realize that someone who should know more than I do was willing to charge me money for incorrect or incomplete advice.

DCF Mexico

06/04/2017: Married

06/24/2017: Mailed I-130

06/27/2017: NOA1 (technically a RFE as we were missing beneficiary ID)

07/06/2017: NOA2

07/12/2017: Case assigned by Juarez embassy

07/17/2017: Packet 3 received

08/15/2017: Interview/Approval!

08/22/2017: Visa received via DHL

09/03/2017: POE

09/16/2017: Permanent Resident Card received

Total days from NOA1 to approval: 49

I wrote a DCF Mexico guide! http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php?title=DCF_Mexico

1 hour ago, Jorge Valdivia said:

When I was first starting our process I got pricing quotes from several law firms around Dallas. I based my choices around Google reviews, which also means that I was talking to some of the priciest options.

When talking to these lawyers I would make sure to tell them our situation, including that we lived in Mexico, and always asked for the shortest possible process. I was quoted $4,500+ by three firms and none of them mentioned DCF. I was almost ready to bite the bullet until I found VJ's DCF forum and decided to just do it myself. I know this doesn't help you but I did want to share my experience. It was frustrating to realize that someone who should know more than I do was willing to charge me money for incorrect or incomplete advice.

Hi Jorge,

That makes me feel a little bit less of an idiot.  I felt really stupid when I realised I'd paid this company to basically cause us lots of unnecessary grief and extend the visa process unnecessarily.

UPDATE:  RapidVisa responded to my email.  Very predictable "Nothing to do with us, we're not lawyers and cant offer legal advice".  They also tried to tell me that there would be no difference in processing time between keeping the petition going in Texas and switching to Direct Consular Filing.  They were not aware that I had spoken to the London USCIS office who had confirmed everything.

I have responded with a pretty strongly worded email outlining exactly why their claims are nonsense (if they cant offer advice then why did they tell us to change the postal address from the UK to the US? etc).  I have also told them their claim about processing times was bordering on an outright lie given widely available processing time information (and information provided to me by the London USCIS office).   I will let you know what they come back with (not holding my breath, seems like they are a bunch of cowboys and just want that fee). 

Well this thread will certainly come up the next time someone says "any thoughts about rapidvisa?"

Bad press and all that jazz.  I believe you have some sort of contract with them perhaps a satisfaction guarantee? 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

And i would not worry about the cancelling.  If asked at interview  (which I doubt) the answer is quite obvious.  We used rapidvisa and they were morons.  

1 minute ago, NikLR said:

And i would not worry about the cancelling.  If asked at interview  (which I doubt) the answer is quite obvious.  We used rapidvisa and they were morons.  

Yeah,  the fact that the London field office told me to go ahead and cancel leads me to think it wont be seen as too big a deal.  And, as you say, we have a pretty good explanation.  

The "Guarantee" only covers you if you get denied.  We paid for the full premium review service so I really hope they are reasonable and can see that they should refund us.  I'm not hopeful though, their initial blank denial of any blame makes me think they just want to keep our money and give us the finger.  

I'll await the outcome before going nuclear on review sites/their facebook page/their twitter feed/visa journey...  

Sometimes a threat of explosion gets you what you want too.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease.  Lol

Because of this "it's not our fault" thing, when clearly they should have absolutely pushed you toward DCF I'm not inclined to be kind.  But maybe I've lived in the USA too long.  Lol 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
11 hours ago, NikLR said:

I would file dcf with london asap.  Yes you can have 2 files going at the same time. Ask @N-o-l-a about it.  Your spouse does not have to stay in the UK for the entire filing, just needed to be able to file (living in UK legally for last 6 months).  

After you refile with DCF so you're not wasting time, start suing rapidvisa for being utter morons. 

Yes, you can have two approved I-130s, one stateside and one through the London Field Office.  Been there, done that, and got the t-shirt.  Actually both of mine had the same case number, how is that for bizarre?

4 hours ago, superjim said:

Further note: There is a little bit about cancelling and refiling petitions on the US gov website, it infers that cancelling and re-filing could be seen as (but is not evidence of) something untoward.  I asked the question to the London office but they didnt answer that (I guess they perhaps cant offer advice on the likelihood of petitions succeeding).   Should we file the petition in London and maybe wait a while before we cancel the Texas one? Its hard to know what will show as worse, two petitions or a cancelled petition...

You can wait until you are already happily living in the US to cancel, or just not bother at all as I found out seems to be possible.  Better not to burn the first bridge until you are ready.

Edited by N-o-l-a

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, superjim said:

Yeah,  the fact that the London field office told me to go ahead and cancel leads me to think it wont be seen as too big a deal.  And, as you say, we have a pretty good explanation.  

The "Guarantee" only covers you if you get denied.  We paid for the full premium review service so I really hope they are reasonable and can see that they should refund us.  I'm not hopeful though, their initial blank denial of any blame makes me think they just want to keep our money and give us the finger.  

I'll await the outcome before going nuclear on review sites/their facebook page/their twitter feed/visa journey...  

I am so sorry you have to go through this ordeal. Their explanation that DCF is completed in the same time frame as a Visa abroad is absurd. DCF in London takes 4-6 months while a Visa abroad is 12-14 months. That's 1/2 to 1/3 total processing time depending on how your application unfolds.

I would encourage you if you had paid Rapid Visa with your credit card to open a dispute claim with your credit card company to recover your fee. You have a very strong case in that they did not provide the service they promised they would do. In fact they gave you bad advice and will cost more time and effort.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If you paid by Credit Card time to file a dispute.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

If you paid RapidVisa using a credit card, attempt to do a chargeback.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.