JonJulia

Why Are People Getting RFEs for Websites (IMBRA) with I-129F Submissions?

96 posts in this topic

Always include the terms and conditions of the website where you met your fiance. An e-mail from the customer service of that site, stating that they are not a marriage brokering site will also help.

I've seen people get RFEs from popular dating sites like Tinder and OkCupid. Even if USCIS has seen a lot of cases where the couple met on those website, some of the adjudicators still look for the ToC stating that they are not IMB websites.

I believe it's all subjective...it all depends on who is reviewing the case. You should just front load your application as much as possible to avoid getting an RFE and subsequent headaches. :D

Edited by audacieux89

-=ROC & Naturalization Timeline=-

January 25, 2021 - ROC application received

January 22, 2022 - Case transferred

January 16, 2022 - Naturalization application received

April 7, 2023 - ROC and Naturalization Interview

April 20, 2023 - Oath Ceremony scheduled

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
17 minutes ago, audacieux89 said:

Always include the terms and conditions of the website where you met your fiance. An e-mail from the customer service of that site, stating that they are not a marriage brokering site will also help.

I've seen people get RFEs from popular dating sites like Tinder and OkCupid. Even if USCIS has seen a lot of cases where the couple met on those website, some of the adjudicators still look for the ToC stating that they are not IMB websites.

I believe it's all subjective...it all depends on who is reviewing the case. You should just front load your application as much as possible to avoid getting an RFE and subsequent headaches. :D

I'm one who doesn't believe in front-loading for easy embassies, I think it can actually be suspicious to provide too much information.

I'll share our experience with our approved I-129F although it was 5 years ago: stated we met on a penpal website, then when we met in person.  No T&C, no RFE.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mauritius
Timeline

This is kind of off-topic. But my fiance and I met through Instagram. Are they going to question whether or not this is an IMBR?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
14 minutes ago, amaraimee said:

This is kind of off-topic. But my fiance and I met through Instagram. Are they going to question whether or not this is an IMBR?

Likely not.  If they send you a RFE just respond with the terms and conditions of Instagram and state it isn't a marriage broker.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

I'll sum this up in 2 lines:

Me: I didn't meet through an IMB.

IO: Prove it.

That's all there is to it. You can claim to not have met through the services IMB, and the IO may question that based on the limited information available to them. They may not. Something doesn't need to be explicitly stated in the instructions for you to need to support it with evidence upon request.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
6 hours ago, JonJulia said:

X_driven_X    I've read the IMBRA statutes.  I've also read the underlying code of federal regulations for the I129F.  I'm sure that's rare.  I simply want to see examples whereby someone didn't tell their story and got dinged with a RFE.

That's not a hard question.  

Of the two examples I've researched from the RFE master list, it was obvious the filers told their story but brought it upon themselves since they weren't specific.  High fraud countries, I can see why a RFE is issued for no rhyme or reason.

if you don't get any examples, then what are you going to do? Will you delay the process until you get examples?

If it is a legitimate relationship and you provide the necessary documents, then there should not be any problems. If you think that there may be a problem, then that is why an evolution of relationship letter is helpful.

Everyone's case is different because there are different embassies and different consular officers who will make decisions on certain things. Even if someone has the exact case as someone else, the outcomes could be different depending on how their respective officer feels and interprets their cases.

Even though a question may be yes or no on a form, you still may be asked to provide more details on that later.

Millions of people have gone through this process and have been approved. Yet you are nitpicking about something that is probably not a big deal. It is only a big deal if the relationship is not legit.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The best advice you were given here is that you're looking for an RFE to make sense and you shouldn't. The majority of people (at least on here) choose to front load their petitions based on the experience of those who have gone before us. That's all there is to it. You can do whatever you want and please do share your experience after the fact as it's very helpful. It's hard to say what you should do. There is some sense to what you're saying (in that you shouldn't offer too much info) and there is some sense to front loading. People have vastly different outcomes depending on all sorts of things (country, embassy, which officer they get) and you just have to decide what you think makes the most sense based on your personal situation. 

Keep in mind, a K1 visa is not like crossing the border at a POE where you want to keep your answers limited and to simply 'yes' and 'no'. You're now applying for immigration status and you don't want to come off like you're withholding information. That would be the reason we choose to front load even though we're not required. Do whatcha want tho nobody really cares ;)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
7 minutes ago, jakelake said:

if you don't get any examples, then what are you going to do? Will you delay the process until you get examples?

If it is a legitimate relationship and you provide the necessary documents, then there should not be any problems. If you think that there may be a problem, then that is why an evolution of relationship letter is helpful.

Everyone's case is different because there are different embassies and different consular officers who will make decisions on certain things. Even if someone has the exact case as someone else, the outcomes could be different depending on how their respective officer feels and interprets their cases.

Even though a question may be yes or no on a form, you still may be asked to provide more details on that later.

Millions of people have gone through this process and have been approved. Yet you are nitpicking about something that is probably not a big deal. It is only a big deal if the relationship is not legit.

No, actually I think (as well as a couple of others) that people inadvertently bring suspicion upon themselves by 'overdoing' their application, even front loading to the point of suspicion.  Submissions to the Embassy for interviews are different than the initial vetting, in my opinion.  Sometimes less is more.  

I'll tell you exactly what I'm going to do.  I'm going to follow the instructions.  I am sending pictures of us standing in front on the US Embassy in Moscow (they should like the humor), Red Square, etc., and most importantly, pics of us holding dated receipts, etc., that without-a-doubt ties us together within the last 2 years (as they want).  I am also sending pictures of us in her home town, with the same kind of dates tied to the pictures.  Then of course, the boarding passes and passport will match with those dates.  Lastly, I am going to send pictures of us with her wearing her engagement ring, which my wholesale + 10% markup is almost $20K...and those receipts will be copied as well.  As well as the insurance policy on it. The simple fact of the matter is that fraudulent cases don't invest that kind of $$ in a relationship.  

I'm not going to put a million pictures in there or a thousand pages of whatever.  I'm going to put a few in there that say everything that needs to be said.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
1 minute ago, JonJulia said:

No, actually I think (as well as a couple of others) that people inadvertently bring suspicion upon themselves by 'overdoing' their application, even front loading to the point of suspicion.  Submissions to the Embassy for interviews are different than the initial vetting, in my opinion.  Sometimes less is more.  

I'll tell you exactly what I'm going to do.  I'm going to follow the instructions.  I am sending pictures of us standing in front on the US Embassy in Moscow (they should like the humor), Red Square, etc., and most importantly, pics of us holding dated receipts, etc., that without-a-doubt ties us together within the last 2 years (as they want).  I am also sending pictures of us in her home town, with the same kind of dates tied to the pictures.  Then of course, the boarding passes and passport will match with those dates.  Lastly, I am going to send pictures of us with her wearing her engagement ring, which my wholesale + 10% markup is almost $20K...and those receipts will be copied as well.  As well as the insurance policy on it. The simple fact of the matter is that fraudulent cases don't invest that kind of $$ in a relationship.  

I'm not going to put a million pictures in there or a thousand pages of whatever.  I'm going to put a few in there that say everything that needs to be said.

Who takes pictures holding dated receipts? That certainly would bring up a red flag? It's as if you are trying too hard not to appear fraud. Sometimes trying too hard not to appear fraudulent can bring unwanted attention.

By the way, fraudulent cases do sometimes involve big money. Some people will go to extremes to get a green card. Also, you could have receipts and then return the expensive items within 30 days. people do that all the time.

6 minutes ago, JonJulia said:

Lastly, I am going to send pictures of us with her wearing her engagement ring, which my wholesale + 10% markup is almost $20K...and those receipts will be copied as well.  As well as the insurance policy on it. The simple fact of the matter is that fraudulent cases don't invest that kind of $$ in a relationship.  

Some pay much more than that. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, JonJulia said:

Sounds like you are front loading to me ;). Seriously, it is all relative. I just had one picture in our application packet. My now-wife then brought an album worth to the embassy for the interview. When I submitted our packet, I didn't know about VJ whatsoever, and just followed the instructions. Only "discovered" the site when I was wondering how long it usually took to get the NOA2. Kinda glad about that, since I think I would have stressed out more about the application process after reading posts here... 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Timeline
Just now, jakelake said:

Who takes pictures holding dated receipts? That certainly would bring up a red flag? It's as if you are trying too hard not to appear fraud. Sometimes trying too hard not to appear fraudulent can bring unwanted attention.

By the way, fraudulent cases do sometimes involve big money. Some people will go to extremes to get a green card. Also, you could have receipts and then return the expensive items within 30 days. people do that all the time.

People that follow the instructions, that's who.  If you can find a time,temperature, and date sign to stand in front of, that works too, as well as holding a newspaper.  You are REQUIRED to provide proof of an 'in person' meeting within the last 2 years.  Taking a picture together only provides HALF of what they are looking for.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Some pay much more than that. 

I'd like to see that.  If you're Russian and want to get here, you can do it without this process and for a heck of a lot less than $20K.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

My attorney was clear not to provide too much information.  Not only could it delay the review of your case as there is more material to process and vet, but it also opens up much more room for scrutiny and questions.  If you have the checklist, provide a good sampling of evidences, and document your visits well you will be fine.  The quality of factual information you provide is much more important than the volume of it.  I just happened to have my boarding passes in my bag as I didn't know we would be pursuing this process on my 1st visit, typically I would never think to keep something like that.  The fact they want originals to prove you were on the plane speaks to the legitimacy of previous comments about taking pictures next to temperature and date/time signs holding a newspaper.  It is funny, because it is true.

I-129F Sent: June 22nd, 2017 (via attorney) :D

I-129F Received: June 30th, 2017 (USCIS date) :)

I-129F NOA1: July 5th, 2017 (VJ date) :whistle:

I-129F NOA2: January 16th, 2018 :D

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Be honest and have a past of visiting each other.  Visiting and establishing a Bona fide relationship will help you be together.  You lie and slip up and things go downhill.  This is serious business a person entering our country so admit you met online and send docs from the website. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.