3 posts in this topic

Hello,

My situation is:

I'm a US citizen, never employed, and I'm dependent on my parent. they have been maintaining me my whole life.

So I never filed taxes in my whole life. and I do not make any type of income ! nor I have any assets.

The Case:

I got married and my wife is filing AOS. For the affidavit, I had a joint sponsor filing separate  i864.

For my i864 I believe I'm required to attach a letter stating why I never filed taxes.

what should be the reason to write, since I want it to look formal.

I had this sample but I think it might need to be edited

To Whom It May Concern

I, ABCD, XXX's spouse and petitioning sponsor. I did not file any income tax return yet because I was and still dependent and maintained by my parents upon their income. Since I never had job or made any income of any type, I was not required to file an income tax return with the Internal Revenue Service.

I, ABCD, certify under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that the information I have provided in this statement are true and correct.

Sincerely,

ABCD

help please or edit the sample

Thanks

1 hour ago, alhubail said:

Hello,

My situation is:

I'm a US citizen, never employed, and I'm dependent on my parent. they have been maintaining me my whole life.

So I never filed taxes in my whole life. and I do not make any type of income ! nor I have any assets.

The Case:

I got married and my wife is filing AOS. For the affidavit, I had a joint sponsor filing separate  i864.

For my i864 I believe I'm required to attach a letter stating why I never filed taxes.

what should be the reason to write, since I want it to look formal.

I had this sample but I think it might need to be edited

To Whom It May Concern

I, ABCD, XXX's spouse and petitioning sponsor. I did not file any income tax return yet because I was and still dependent and maintained by my parents upon their income. Since I never had job or made any income of any type, I was not required to file an income tax return with the Internal Revenue Service.

I, ABCD, certify under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that the information I have provided in this statement are true and correct.

Sincerely,

ABCD

help please or edit the sample

Thanks

Try this:

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is [your name] and I am writing to address the fact that I have no income tax returns to include with my Affidavit of Support for my wife, [wife's name]. I am [whatever your situation is - example: I am a student, currently attending the University of __________, or I recently graduated from______________, or what have you]. I have lived with my parents as their dependent throughout my life to this point, and have never made enough money to be required to file an income tax return, so at this point, I have none to attach.

I am aware that this means I have insufficient income to qualify to sponsor my spouse on my own, and as such I am including an Affidavit of Support form from my joint sponsor [or co-sponsor, depending on your situation], [co/joint sponsor's name], which is also attached to this petition.

If you have any further questions regarding this or any other aspect of my petition, feel free to contact me at: [your contact information]. Thank you so much for your consideration in this matter, and my wife and I look forward to taking this next step in our lives together.

Yours Sincerely

[your name]

• Be careful to use the best, most coherent English you can - have someone proofread it for you before you send it.
  • Honestly, it doesn't look great that you have never held a job, but you're trying to support a wife, so make yourself look as responsible as possible.
  • If you have any job at all now, or are looking for one, you might mention that, and talk about the fact that you take your responsibilities seriously. 
  • You could file a tax return for 2016 - even one that has a big 0 for income, and says that you are listed as a dependent on your parents' tax return. 
  • You don't need to include the "penalty of perjury" part. You're not in court and you've already signed that sort of oath as part of your petition. This is not, strictly speaking, a legal document, it's just a letter of explanation.

Very best of luck to you!

Edited by nightingalejules
correcting punctuation

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You should also get a letter of non filing for the past three years from the IRS. It's the equal to a tax transcript. Someone can correct me but I believe you can get them at the same online portal you order a transcript from. If not, call the IRS 800#, get a human and have them mailed. You can also go to your local IRS office for same day stuff. 

They are simple to get and you will need them to officially show you didn't file or were not someone's claimed dependent. 

If you were something like a student and this is why you haven't worked or filed taxes, it couldn't hurt to include that as a reason why. 

Edited by sparkles_

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.