Suss&Camm

Scandinavians Part 2

1,960 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 minute ago, nordictat2 said:

Yes, speaking from experience. I filed the 130 first and then the 129f. Both are in Nebraska si nope, don't need to update my profile. We also have IOE which seems useless for those in Nebraska atleast. This process is so ridiculous. My husband has a job waiting for him in PA in the HVAC industry and we have been married almost 20 yrs, going over with 100k so we surely aren't going over unprepared or inexperienced heh. 

Then you're NOT filing for a K-1 visa. Huge difference between being a fiance and being married. Two completely different processes that can't be compared service center wise or processing wise. So, you're not speaking from experience as you haven't filed a i-129f for a K-1 visa.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline
8 minutes ago, jules98 said:

I think it took less than two weeks, yes. Quite possibly the hardest waiting of the entire process. Resist the urge to buy plane tickets until you have the visa in hand because there’s so much that could go wrong. (Wrong name or other info on the visa). 

I had a social security card from before, so I only went in to change my name after we got married 😕 I wouldn’t know about that. But here in Texas you need a green card (or I’m going to try going in with the NOA1 from AOS and see if I meet the right person)

I just looked into the plane tickets we're thinking of buying (I'll go with my grandma and a friend that comes for the wedding) and it says you can re book for a fee. Or we'll just wait... 😶

But how common is it that they mess up the visa with the wrong name or something like that? 😮

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline
Just now, stuckonyou said:

I just looked into the plane tickets we're thinking of buying (I'll go with my grandma and a friend that comes for the wedding) and it says you can re book for a fee. Or we'll just wait... 😶

But how common is it that they mess up the visa with the wrong name or something like that? 😮

They messed up my fiancé’s middle name, but I never did anything about it. They just left out an R but we were fine. But if you can rebook I would get them! Just in case there’s any delays or anything’s wrong 😊

Timeline
51 minutes ago, stuckonyou said:

I agree with Jules, if the price is good and you can change the date for free if necessary, then go for it. 

The general "rule" is to never make any plans that can't be changed (like a plane ticket that isn't refundable or can easily be changed for free). 

Timeline
On 1/28/2020 at 9:35 PM, jules98 said:

( ) BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Your original birth certificate plus one original or certified copy of the birth certificate of each unmarried child under the age of 21, named in the application is required, even if they are not applying for a visa at this time. The certificate must state the date and place of birth of both parents and must be from the country where you were born.

Hi again! My fiance requested a copy of his birth certificate in both Norwegian and English. The one he received though does not have his parents' DOB or birth place. Is there a specific birth certificate we have to request? 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, emma24 said:

Hi again! My fiance requested a copy of his birth certificate in both Norwegian and English. The one he received though does not have his parents' DOB or birth place. Is there a specific birth certificate we have to request? 

Do Norwegian birth certificates usually state the date and place of birth of both parents? How do you guys usually do it? You said he got a copy too... not the original?

In Sweden we don't even use birth certificates to begin with. So in my instructions it first says to provide the original birth certificate, and then after that they mention getting an extract from the population register which must also state the date and place of birth of both parents. According to the Swedish Tax Agency this can be used as a birth certificate if needed. So I requested one of those in English online. Do you have anything similar to that in Norway? Otherwise he might need to email the embassy and ask them? 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, stuckonyou said:

Do Norwegian birth certificates usually state the date and place of birth of both parents? How do you guys usually do it? You said he got a copy too... not the original?

In Sweden we don't even use birth certificates to begin with. So in my instructions it first says to provide the original birth certificate, and then after that they mention getting an extract from the population register which must also state the date and place of birth of both parents. According to the Swedish Tax Agency this can be used as a birth certificate if needed. So I requested one of those in English online. Do you have anything similar to that in Norway? Otherwise he might need to email the embassy and ask them? 

I'm not sure. I'm the USC so I know nothing about how it's done there! He was doing some digging online and said he doesn't think it usually shows that info but I wanted to check with some of you guys who have actually gone through the process. 

He has his original BC but it's only in Norwegian so he requested a certified copy that has Norwegian and English on it so we don't have to translate. I suppose he can wait until he gets his instructions (we are still awaiting NOA2 so I am pretty ahead of myself but I love to be prepared). The instructions may be different than what someone had posted for me earlier in the thread. I was just wondering what other Norwegians had done! 

2 hours ago, emma24 said:

I'm not sure. I'm the USC so I know nothing about how it's done there! He was doing some digging online and said he doesn't think it usually shows that info but I wanted to check with some of you guys who have actually gone through the process. 

He has his original BC but it's only in Norwegian so he requested a certified copy that has Norwegian and English on it so we don't have to translate. I suppose he can wait until he gets his instructions (we are still awaiting NOA2 so I am pretty ahead of myself but I love to be prepared). The instructions may be different than what someone had posted for me earlier in the thread. I was just wondering what other Norwegians had done! 

Here’s what the Department of State says about Norwegian birth certificates. Also, here is the website to check for future document questions specific to Norway: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Norway.html

619386DA-9CA6-4684-A27A-884ABD2B7E4D.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline
On 2/19/2020 at 4:29 PM, Scandi said:

Then you're NOT filing for a K-1 visa. Huge difference between being a fiance and being married. Two completely different processes that can't be compared service center wise or processing wise. So, you're not speaking from experience as you haven't filed a i-129f for a K-1 visa.

I find your reply very rude and to be honest a reason why I don't come here much. There seems to a click and my past comments/questions have been ignored so yes, very clicky in a forum where we should be helping one another because we all have to go through the same process in some form or another. 

I filed the 129f and the 130 and neither have moved. 

Regardless, this has really left a  ad taste in mouth and will be unfollowing this website. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, nordictat2 said:

I find your reply very rude and to be honest a reason why I don't come here much. There seems to a click and my past comments/questions have been ignored so yes, very clicky in a forum where we should be helping one another because we all have to go through the same process in some form or another. 

I filed the 129f and the 130 and neither have moved. 

Regardless, this has really left a  ad taste in mouth and will be unfollowing this website. 

If you find my posts rude then maybe internet isn't for you, your call. I personally find it important to correct any incorrect information as people who don't know the process very well might read the incorrect information and actually believe it. THAT is helping, putting the correct info out there. There is already way too much wrong information floating around online regarding US immigration in general. If you don't like correct information then that's on you. Have a good one.

Edited by Scandi

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Does the Police Certificate In Sweden that the NVC accepts is that the one that's available in 5 languages? Because the only other options for "Translation Aids" is for other European Countries within the EU only. But the original Police certificate is in 5 languages one is English but there are others and I know how much USCIS and NVC hate anything that's not in English. Have other people found this police certificate accepted? Is this the correct one? Is there another one I should have gotten? Thanks so much. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
24 minutes ago, OrihimeandIchigo said:

Does the Police Certificate In Sweden that the NVC accepts is that the one that's available in 5 languages? Because the only other options for "Translation Aids" is for other European Countries within the EU only. But the original Police certificate is in 5 languages one is English but there are others and I know how much USCIS and NVC hate anything that's not in English. Have other people found this police certificate accepted? Is this the correct one? Is there another one I should have gotten? Thanks so much. 

You can check which documents are needed and where you can get them from here https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Sweden.html

To me it looks like you got the correct one. NVC doesn't care if it has other languages on it as long as English it on there

24 minutes ago, OrihimeandIchigo said:

Also does anyone know how much the Stockholm Medical Exam costs for the interview? And how and when you pay it? Thanks so much. 

Here is the medical exam instructions https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/STK-Stockholm.html#medical_exam_instructions I'm not sure how much it costs but it will probably say on the physicians' websites, you will pay it at the medical appointment

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Timeline
1 hour ago, OrihimeandIchigo said:

Also does anyone know how much the Stockholm Medical Exam costs for the interview? And how and when you pay it? Thanks so much. 

You could call them and ask. Also, it will cost more if you need shots and/or blood test to see which shots you have had. 

I went ahead and got the only shot I knew I needed at my local vårdcentral and then brought the proof to the medical. That way I didn't need any shots and was sure that my medical would be marked as "complete" (maybe more important for a K-1/AOS, not sure).

The price difference was pretty big between the two clinics back in 2016. I paid 2800kr i Gbg, including the x-rays. In Sthlm people paid ~3400kr and then another 500kr for the x-rays. I know GBG has become more expensive, Sthlm probably has too.

Edited by Scandi

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.