Suss&Camm

Scandinavians Part 2

1,960 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
15 minutes ago, bcrew13 said:

Hey everyone,

My wife is Swedish, I'm from the US. I had a question on how long you think Covid-19 might delay processing time? We applied in November, and was hoping to move to the US around Jan-Mar, but my job offer post-graduation has now been rescinded and I will most likely have to return to the states in August upon completion of my MBA. If February were to be ~14 months, should we expect 3 months of additional waiting time? Any other ways for us to move together considering we could be looking at 8 months of being apart? 😕

It took us 18 months to receive visa in hand, one day before they closed the embassy due to COVID-19. 

As USCIS and NVC are currently staffed to bare minimum I’d say be more patient. 

Just now, Pininfarina said:

It took us 18 months to receive visa in hand, one day before they closed the embassy due to COVID-19. 

As USCIS and NVC are currently staffed to bare minimum I’d say be more patient. 

When I say Jan-Mar I do mean 2021, not 2020. That would be 12.5 - 14.5 months which I thought was the norm for the most part. 18 months is longer than I anticipated though. Is there anyways she could apply for an F-1 while the green card is being processed, or is the fact that F-1 is non-immigration visa she would be denied?

Timeline
7 minutes ago, bcrew13 said:

When I say Jan-Mar I do mean 2021, not 2020. That would be 12.5 - 14.5 months which I thought was the norm for the most part. 18 months is longer than I anticipated though. Is there anyways she could apply for an F-1 while the green card is being processed, or is the fact that F-1 is non-immigration visa she would be denied?

What visa class are you applying for? If you are already married she can visit you under ESTA,  she would be exempt under the presidential proclamation of the novel Coronavirus. 

I don’t think your should file F1 just to speed things up. More headache and paperwork later.

Just now, Pininfarina said:

What visa class are you applying for? If you are already married she can visit you under ESTA,  she would be exempt under the presidential proclamation of the novel Coronavirus. 

I don’t think your should file F1 just to speed things up. More headache and paperwork later.

We'll have applied for a CR-1 because we've only been married for a year. Okay, so we can at least break up the time by up to 90 days. 

I don't think the F1 would be just to speed things up as she has expressed interest in completing a degree once we move as well, but we figured we could have done that once we got the green card, now we are wondering whether that could be a means to accomplish two things.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

@Simone Jakobsenn

If the link doesn't work, the list is at the bottom of page 77 in this thread 

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Adjustment of status is not an option if she comes on ESTA... preconceived intent to adjust status on ESTA will be visa fraud and she can be banned from the US permanently and her ESTA revoked

On 4/6/2020 at 4:04 AM, bcrew13 said:

We'll have applied for a CR-1 because we've only been married for a year. Okay, so we can at least break up the time by up to 90 days. 

I don't think the F1 would be just to speed things up as she has expressed interest in completing a degree once we move as well, but we figured we could have done that once we got the green card, now we are wondering whether that could be a means to accomplish two things.

She won't be eligible for an F1 visa, it's not dual intent so she will have to be able to prove she plans on moving back to Sweden after her education in the US is over, which will be impossible to do with a current pending CR1 and the fact she is married to a US citizen. Also, she will have to prove she has the means herself to pay for everything out of pocket, since she won't be eligible for any government benefits for schooling from the US. This is a huge inconvenience in comparison to if she goes to school as a permanent resident after getting a CR1 visa, since as a green card holder she'd be able to apply for things such as financial aid..

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to remove quote of removed content.

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Posts violating the TOS (advocating visa fraud) removed along with quotes of said post.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Wondering how many Scandinavians that are waiting for the Stockholm embassy to open. We got DQ on March 16th, but are still at NVC and no interview letter in sight.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Jon & Ygritte said:

Wondering how many Scandinavians that are waiting for the Stockholm embassy to open. We got DQ on March 16th, but are still at NVC and no interview letter in sight.

Congratulations. And I'm still at the NVC stage also and I've been checking the US Embassy in Stockholm website like every day because I know that the longer there closed the longer it is to get a interview date. So hopefully it opens up soon. 

Timeline
16 hours ago, OrihimeandIchigo said:

Congratulations. And I'm still at the NVC stage also and I've been checking the US Embassy in Stockholm website like every day because I know that the longer there closed the longer it is to get a interview date. So hopefully it opens up soon. 

Which date did you get DQ?

Timeline
6 hours ago, Jon & Ygritte said:

Which date did you get DQ?

I'm not yet. I'm still waiting on some documents to be scanned. Which is frustrating. But I read on the website today that the US Embassy in Stockholm May Visa interviews are canceled but so far they are still doing June interviews until they say differently.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hi guys! 
I’m sure I’m not the only one thinking this time is awfully hard and heartbreaking. All I want is to be with my fiancé and the not knowing is slowing killing me and making me sad every day.

Our petition was approved on March 25th and I’m not really sure what the next step is? I’m reading that I should get in touch with the NVC to get a new car number but I’m not sure why? 
Anyone knows anything about this? 

Thank you! 

21 hours ago, Simone Jakobsen said:

Hi guys! 
I’m sure I’m not the only one thinking this time is awfully hard and heartbreaking. All I want is to be with my fiancé and the not knowing is slowing killing me and making me sad every day.

Our petition was approved on March 25th and I’m not really sure what the next step is? I’m reading that I should get in touch with the NVC to get a new car number but I’m not sure why? 
Anyone knows anything about this? 

Thank you! 

NVC will contact you with a case number and instructions for the next step, usually within two months of your petition approval, but who knows with this virus anymore. 

Timeline

Hi everyone,

Not a question for me but for a friend; American petitioner with Norwegian fiance going through K-1 with their NOA2 being Feb 22. Does anyone know if they are automatically extending the 4 month NOA2 to interview window since the embassy was closed for 6 weeks? Or will this couple have to request an extension.

I ask because the Norwegian fiance went to his Swedish cabin last week to clean it and had to "sign in" when crossing the border to make sure he wasn't spending the night in Sweden. It'd be a lot of trouble trying to make the interview into a day trip since he lives in Oslo. Apparently Norway is the one making citizens sign in and out, not Sweden. We're also having a hard time getting the NOA2 hardcopy (we were told it was sent twice but received nothing) so I'm worried they won't be able to schedule the interview in time between that and the Embassy backlog they'll have now.

Luckily I went through this process without a pandemic so I have no answers for my friend. Thanks in advance!

K-1

Nov 23, 2015: I-129F Packet sent to Dallas
Dec 8, 2015: NOA1 hard copy received - Notice dated Dec 1
Jan 16, 2016: NOA2 hard copy received- Noticed dated Jan 11

March 31, 2016: Interview- approved!

June 30, 2016: POE Boston

July 2, 2016: Married

AOS

July 7, 2016: AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago

July 18, 2016: NOA 1 hard copies received

August 11, 2016: Biometric walk in completed

September 22, 2016: EAD/AP Approval notice

November 14, 2017: AOS Interview- approved on the spot!

December 1, 2017: 2 year conditional green card received

ROC

September 16, 2019: I-751 sent

September 23, 2019: NOA1 and 18 month GC extension letter received- packet headed to Vermont

July 25, 2020: Approved, no interview

Timeline
3 hours ago, Kl30morg said:

Hi everyone,

Not a question for me but for a friend; American petitioner with Norwegian fiance going through K-1 with their NOA2 being Feb 22. Does anyone know if they are automatically extending the 4 month NOA2 to interview window since the embassy was closed for 6 weeks? Or will this couple have to request an extension.

I ask because the Norwegian fiance went to his Swedish cabin last week to clean it and had to "sign in" when crossing the border to make sure he wasn't spending the night in Sweden. It'd be a lot of trouble trying to make the interview into a day trip since he lives in Oslo. Apparently Norway is the one making citizens sign in and out, not Sweden. We're also having a hard time getting the NOA2 hardcopy (we were told it was sent twice but received nothing) so I'm worried they won't be able to schedule the interview in time between that and the Embassy backlog they'll have now.

Luckily I went through this process without a pandemic so I have no answers for my friend. Thanks in advance!

The embassy should extend the validity of the i-129f approval automatically (especially in times like these). But just to be on the safe side, if it was me, I would send the embassy an email or two requesting to have it extended. Then at least there is some kind of "paper trail" proving that they didn't just abandon their petition, but actually asked to have it extended. Maybe someone is working at the embassy and actually receives the emails too, who knows. All we know for sure is that they don't conduct interviews at this point.

This is the email I used back in 2016, likely they're still using the same one. stkivinfo@state.gov

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.