Jump to content
Suss&Camm

Scandinavians Part 2

661 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Well Ewok closed our old thread and we need a place ofc! So welcome here with region questions, experiences or anything else that floats your boat.. :)

 Old thread can be found here for reference: 

 


K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RandB said:

Is it ok to bring a small purse and a tote bag to the embassy?

You won't be allowed to bring it inside... only your documents.. If you have a small bag they will keep it in the guard boot and you will have it back when you leave again   :)

Try to bring as little as possible


K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Suss&Camm said:

You won't be allowed to bring it inside... only your documents.. If you have a small bag they will keep it in the guard boot and you will have it back when you leave again   :)

Try to bring as little as possible

Thanks. Yes, that's what I thought. Will try to bring only the essentials. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had my interview this morning. I got approved! The interview went well and I had all the paperwork in order. The visa will arrive in about two weeks, they said. They asked me the following questions (might have forgotten some):

 

Who's *fiancées name*?
Who's this? (pointing to people in pictures)
How do you communicate?
How did you meet?
Which app? (we met through a smartphone app)
How long were you in the US when you were a student?
What does you fiancée do for work?
What do you plan on doing when you get to the US?
Are you together now?
When were you together last?
How many times has your fiancée been to Norway?

 

The whole thing took about an hour. Very smooth. I looked through my papers many times beforehand to make sure everything was in order. I will post a full review later!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RandB said:

Had my interview this morning. I got approved! The interview went well and I had all the paperwork in order. The visa will arrive in about two weeks, they said. They asked me the following questions (might have forgotten some):

 

Who's *fiancées name*?
Who's this? (pointing to people in pictures)
How do you communicate?
How did you meet?
Which app? (we met through a smartphone app)
How long were you in the US when you were a student?
What does you fiancée do for work?
What do you plan on doing when you get to the US?
Are you together now?
When were you together last?
How many times has your fiancée been to Norway?

 

The whole thing took about an hour. Very smooth. I looked through my papers many times beforehand to make sure everything was in order. I will post a full review later!

Congratulations! :D


K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the Swedes who came on a K-1, how long after marriage did you change your name and register your marriage in Sweden? And how long did you wait with getting a new passport? Did you get it in the US or Sweden?


K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016 (260 days)

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017 (108 days)

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017 (132 days)

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017 (217 days)

 

ROC: 04-19-2019 earliest filing date

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Scandi said:

For the Swedes who came on a K-1, how long after marriage did you change your name and register your marriage in Sweden? And how long did you wait with getting a new passport? Did you get it in the US or Sweden?

 

For me it was chaos. I don't remember exactly how long after before I sent it in but it wasn't long. I then had to rush back to Sweden because my father died, during that time my name change went through which meant my passport had to be renewed. Funny thing is I got my passport too soon... My name change hadn't been registered with the police yet so one day I got a call from my sister-in-law who is a police. She said they can't even give me my passport because it had my maiden name in it but it was signed in my new name... So I had to pay the passport fee twice...

 

So yeah long story short: name change took a few weeks because it was in the middle of summer and it seemed like everyone decided to get married... And I got a new passport when I was in Sweden. It will depend on where you are when your name change comes through in Sweden as your passport becomes invalid when you change your name. I think having it done here in the US might be a pain unless you live close to a Swedish embassy/consulate. And I am pretty sure it costs more. At least it does if you want a Swedish driver's license ordered from the US. 






Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Scandi said:

For the Swedes who came on a K-1, how long after marriage did you change your name and register your marriage in Sweden? And how long did you wait with getting a new passport? Did you get it in the US or Sweden?

Good question. My plan has been to take care of everything back home as soon as I get my EAD/AP (and maybe have a job) as then I'll have a clearer "status". I was also thinking of waiting till the green card is issued. I just want to have as much be done here before organizing that stuff.. I'm temporarily registered at my mom's address since I still have some financial matters to finish up. Since I'm still a "non-resident" here I'm waiting to officially move out of Sweden till I will officially be moved in somewhere else, i.e. here.  I'm gonna keep my passport though since it was just issued in 2016.
Think I answered more than your questions hahahaha 


K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Suss&Camm said:

Good question. My plan has been to take care of everything back home as soon as I get my EAD/AP (and maybe have a job) as then I'll have a clearer "status". I was also thinking of waiting till the green card is issued. I just want to have as much be done here before organizing that stuff.. I'm temporarily registered at my mom's address since I still have some financial matters to finish up. Since I'm still a "non-resident" here I'm waiting to officially move out of Sweden till I will officially be moved in somewhere else, i.e. here.  I'm gonna keep my passport though since it was just issued in 2016.
Think I answered more than your questions hahahaha 

Don't ever tell that to Skatteverket... They will get pissed if they find out :P






Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies. I sent in my "move notice" to the tax office about a week before I moved to the US, got a confirmation to the US address that they have removed me from folkbokföringen or whatever the register is called, so all that is done. It took forever to get the marriage certificate but once we finally got it I sent a copy of that, an application for name change and a letter stating that I wanted my marriage to be registered in Sweden, to Skatteverket.  I logged in on Skatteverket just before new years and noticed they have changed my name and my civil status, but I haven't received a physical confirmation, is that a problem you think?

 

Once I saw the changes were made I scheduled an appointment for passport renewal here in San Diego, appointment is in February. I hope there won't be any issues with my new name or so, my new info is on Skatteverket when I log in, I just haven't got the conformation.. :-/ I have ordered two personbevis as well, they will show my new name and civil status, right?

 

Even if you have to pay for the passport four times over in Sweden it's still going to be cheaper than paying ONE time here, Maria :D


K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016 (260 days)

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017 (108 days)

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017 (132 days)

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017 (217 days)

 

ROC: 04-19-2019 earliest filing date

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw, does anyone know when the passport is invalid when you change name? Does it only get invalid once you change your name with Skatteverket, or is it invalid already the same day you get married/change name here in the US?


K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016 (260 days)

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017 (108 days)

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017 (132 days)

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017 (217 days)

 

ROC: 04-19-2019 earliest filing date

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unidentified said:

Don't ever tell that to Skatteverket... They will get pissed if they find out :P

Not really... I could just as well be denied residency and sent home. Ppl that travel temporarily don't report it. If I had done CR-1 and had GC right away I would have sent it. As of now I'm stuck in an inbetween status everywhere.


K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Scandi said:

Thanks for the replies. I sent in my "move notice" to the tax office about a week before I moved to the US, got a confirmation to the US address that they have removed me from folkbokföringen or whatever the register is called, so all that is done. It took forever to get the marriage certificate but once we finally got it I sent a copy of that, an application for name change and a letter stating that I wanted my marriage to be registered in Sweden, to Skatteverket.  I logged in on Skatteverket just before new years and noticed they have changed my name and my civil status, but I haven't received a physical confirmation, is that a problem you think?

 

Once I saw the changes were made I scheduled an appointment for passport renewal here in San Diego, appointment is in February. I hope there won't be any issues with my new name or so, my new info is on Skatteverket when I log in, I just haven't got the conformation.. :-/ I have ordered two personbevis as well, they will show my new name and civil status, right?

 

Even if you have to pay for the passport four times over in Sweden it's still going to be cheaper than paying ONE time here, Maria :D

As soon as you can see it on the website it is official. I don't think I ever got a paper confirmation. 

 

Wow, is it that expensive to do it here? How much?

 

1 minute ago, Scandi said:

Btw, does anyone know when the passport is invalid when you change name? Does it only get invalid once you change your name with Skatteverket, or is it invalid already the same day you get married/change name here in the US?

It's invalid once your name changes goes through with Skatteverket. 






Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×