Suss&Camm

Scandinavians Part 2

1,960 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
On 9/3/2018 at 7:45 PM, Unidentified said:

Is that because they kept breaking? When I did it I got the brown envelope with the paper and passport secured to it with a rubber band. 

No idea, when I got mine in 2016 the sealed envelope came in a white envelope. Inside the white envelope was my passport and a lot of documnets they apparently didn't need for the sealed envelope. 

Sounds extremely risky to ship a package with the passport on the OUTSIDE. Never seen that. 🤤

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

• 2 weeks later...

Tjaba,

a spousal visa applicant here, nervous as...I don’t know what. We were informed by the NVC a couple of weeks ago that we are now documentarily qualified and I am waiting for an interview slot to open up.

Does anyone know if it helps for my petitioner (wife) to call NVC to hurry up things up or does this only apply for the K-1 Visa?

Also, does anyone have any recent “reviews”/opinions of the clinic performing the medical in Stockholm? I have now browsed through the whole thread, but any posts I found about Sibyllekliniken were from 2017, and even then many preferred Dr. Einar in Gothenburg (except for some vaccination unclarities?).

Fortunately I live in Greater Stockholm so doing the medical and the interview don’t mean having to take several days off work. Somehow I don’t thinn I should go for GBG for the medical even if it is cheaper—now matter how cheap MTR train tickets are... 🤔

And the nervous waiting continues...

Btw, give me a shout out if you need help with finding a hotel in Stockholm. I can see many prefer Villa Källhagen due to its proximity to the embassy, but I work for a hotel chain and we can book rooms with so called Family and Friend rates. These usually go for SEK 700-1,200/room/night (hotels in the outskirts cheaper than the centrally located ones). Albeit these have got pretty strict conditions; the rates don’t qualify for any membership benefits, they can only be booked 60 days in advance and only through our intranet. The availability isn’t that great either (rate closed when the occupancy goes above a certain %) but if needed I can still take a look whenever I am at work 😊

Getting there, slowly but surely...  (I hope )

Together (well...mostly the Transatlanticism kind of together) Since 12/2013

CR-1:

Married in Sweden 8/2017
(Well Frontloaded) I-130 Sent 12/2017
CR-1 Approved 10/2018
POE LAX 01/11/2019

I-751:

I-751 Package Sent with UPS 11/11/2020
I-751 Received by the AZ Lockbox 11/13/2020
I-751 Check Cashed 12/31/2020
I-797 (with My Last Name Misspelled...) Received by Mail 1/2/2021

Biometrics Appointment Received by Mail...too bad I am in Europe right when it's supposed to take place 🤯 6/14/2021

Rescheduled Biometrics Appointment, the biometric technician can't change the misspelled name on file, but he enters the correct spelling of my last name as an alias 8/2/2021

Interview Ready to Be Scheduled 10/13/2021

(Two Days Later) Interview Was Scheduled 😱 10/15/2021

I-751 Interview, Petition Approved 🥳 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to New Card Is Being Produced 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to Case Was Approved 11/22/2021

Green Card Arrived in the Mail (Name Correctly Spelling, w00t) 11/27/2021

When USCIS Misspells Your Name:

Typographical error form filled on USCIS website 1/4/2021
Contacted USCIS if there has been any progress since THEIR error (Received a Tier 1 tracking number) 2/6/2021
Contacted USCIS again as the issue remains to be resolved (Received ANOTHER Tier 1 tracking number) 3/12/2021
Apparently USCIS chat is worthless; CALLED USCIS, Tier 1 agent promised that a Tier 2 agent would call me 4/28/2021
Received a call from a nice Tier 2 officer who said I may or may not get a correct extension letter, but just in case I would be scheduled an InfoPASS appointment 5/4/2021
Went to local USCIS service center and had to deal with a nasty and entitled customer service agent who refused to give me an I-551 stamp. National Benefits Center is supposed to mail me another I-797 within 7-10 days... So I had to waste my day, taking buses for two hours one-way just to deal with this lady's attitude? 5/7/2021

After anxiously monitoring our mailbox for a few days I DID receive a corrected I-797, w00t! All documents good to go Vaccinated Ready to visit my parents in Europe for the first time in 17 months!!  5/13/2021

The lesson: Don't use the chat for anything complicated, AND keep hassling USCIS for a response...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, Locito said:

Tjaba,

a spousal visa applicant here, nervous as...I don’t know what. We were informed by the NVC a couple of weeks ago that we are now documentarily qualified and I am waiting for an interview slot to open up.

Does anyone know if it helps for my petitioner (wife) to call NVC to hurry up things up or does this only apply for the K-1 Visa?

Also, does anyone have any recent “reviews”/opinions of the clinic performing the medical in Stockholm? I have now browsed through the whole thread, but any posts I found about Sibyllekliniken were from 2017, and even then many preferred Dr. Einar in Gothenburg (except for some vaccination unclarities?).

Fortunately I live in Greater Stockholm so doing the medical and the interview don’t mean having to take several days off work. Somehow I don’t thinn I should go for GBG for the medical even if it is cheaper—now matter how cheap MTR train tickets are... 🤔

And the nervous waiting continues...

Btw, give me a shout out if you need help with finding a hotel in Stockholm. I can see many prefer Villa Källhagen due to its proximity to the embassy, but I work for a hotel chain and we can book rooms with so called Family and Friend rates. These usually go for SEK 700-1,200/room/night (hotels in the outskirts cheaper than the centrally located ones). Albeit these have got pretty strict conditions; the rates don’t qualify for any membership benefits, they can only be booked 60 days in advance and only through our intranet. The availability isn’t that great either (rate closed when the occupancy goes above a certain %) but if needed I can still take a look whenever I am at work 😊

Hey there! So, I may not have answers to all questions (we were K1, not CR1, so some things may vary), but:

- At least from a K1 standpoint, the petitioner calling NVC probably doesn't carry much more weight. Other CR1 applicants may be able to provide more info to confirm or deny that.

- My husband (the beneficiary/Swede) saw Dr. Einar for his medical and had no negative reviews of him. We had some minor uncertainties with his vaccination record along the way, once he was stateside, but now that we are on the other side of everything fully, it makes a lot more sense than it did at the time. Paul's embassy interview was one week after his medical with Dr. Einar, and he only had one vaccination not completed at that time (TDAP). We had a time figuring out how to complete things stateside after the fact, and the biggest headache was Paul wished he had questioned it more at the time while still in Sweden. But we later learned that this particular vaccination is given in multiple boosters in Sweden, which spans over a couple of months, which they did not have time for since his interview was only a week later. Here in the states, it's a combined booster (one shot). So, my only recommendation when it comes to that - if there is anything you can't complete during your medical in Sweden, just for your own peace of mind, make sure you understand WHY it can't be completed, and what steps you need to take stateside to complete it.

Honestly, Paul went with this doctor because he lived in Gothenburg at the time, so it was just more convenient for him.

As for hotels - we stayed at the Radisson right next to the train station (I had a planned trip to Sweden that happened to coincide with Paul's embassy interview, so I was able to travel to Stockholm from GBG with him) and it was really nice! Walking distance from a lot of things, except the embassy of course. The taxi ride there was not too bad, though.

Good luck! :)

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Thank you for your informative post, @Paul & Mallory 😊

Browsing VJ has at least given me more confidence in the whole process; especially having read the embassy reviews and medical exam stuff in this thread. I used to stress so much as to if I will be prepared enough for my interview and I have got still some fears.

But at least now it’s mostly anxiety about when everything’s gonna happen getting close(r) as we are and how on Earth can I get rid of all of my stuff... I am probably trying to sublet my apartment for a year or two, but then of course I have come back at some point and sort out the rest in my basement storage unit.

The process has been a tad more complicated for us since I wasn’t

born in Sweden, so I have had to chase birth certificates and police certificates in two countries (moved to Sweden when I was 20). 

As for Radisson Blu Royal Viking I cannot say much...they used to be one of our main competitors when I was working in downtown Stockholm 😁

One thing I am going to have to get used in the States is the different attitude to public transportation. Here everyone does it, over there you see (more of) quite some characters on local buses 🤓 Here I am just happy to get train to T-Centralen and then hop on the #69 bus to the Embassy.

Wife will be coming to see me during her thanksgiving break so we shall see if the interview will be taking place around that time (hopefully before, though). Although what I’ve read in this thread, they don’t really allow for outsiders in the Embassy premises (even if the petitioner is a USC).

CR-1:

Married in Sweden 8/2017
CR-1 Approved 10/2018
POE LAX 01/11/2019

I-751:

Biometrics Appointment Received by Mail...too bad I am in Europe right when it's supposed to take place 🤯 6/14/2021

Rescheduled Biometrics Appointment, the biometric technician can't change the misspelled name on file, but he enters the correct spelling of my last name as an alias 8/2/2021

Contacted USCIS if there has been any progress since THEIR error (Received a Tier 1 tracking number) 2/6/2021
Contacted USCIS again as the issue remains to be resolved (Received ANOTHER Tier 1 tracking number) 3/12/2021
Apparently USCIS chat is worthless; CALLED USCIS, Tier 1 agent promised that a Tier 2 agent would call me 4/28/2021
Received a call from a nice Tier 2 officer who said I may or may not get a correct extension letter, but just in case I would be scheduled an InfoPASS appointment 5/4/2021
Went to local USCIS service center and had to deal with a nasty and entitled customer service agent who refused to give me an I-551 stamp. National Benefits Center is supposed to mail me another I-797 within 7-10 days... So I had to waste my day, taking buses for two hours one-way just to deal with this lady's attitude? 5/7/2021

After anxiously monitoring our mailbox for a few days I DID receive a corrected I-797, w00t! All documents good to go Vaccinated Ready to visit my parents in Europe for the first time in 17 months!!  5/13/2021

The lesson: Don't use the chat for anything complicated, AND keep hassling USCIS for a response...

Timeline
15 hours ago, Locito said:

Thank you for your informative post, @Paul & Mallory 😊

Browsing VJ has at least given me more confidence in the whole process; especially having read the embassy reviews and medical exam stuff in this thread. I used to stress so much as to if I will be prepared enough for my interview and I have got still some fears.

But at least now it’s mostly anxiety about when everything’s gonna happen getting close(r) as we are and how on Earth can I get rid of all of my stuff... I am probably trying to sublet my apartment for a year or two, but then of course I have come back at some point and sort out the rest in my basement storage unit.

The process has been a tad more complicated for us since I wasn’t

born in Sweden, so I have had to chase birth certificates and police certificates in two countries (moved to Sweden when I was 20). 

As for Radisson Blu Royal Viking I cannot say much...they used to be one of our main competitors when I was working in downtown Stockholm 😁

One thing I am going to have to get used in the States is the different attitude to public transportation. Here everyone does it, over there you see (more of) quite some characters on local buses 🤓 Here I am just happy to get train to T-Centralen and then hop on the #69 bus to the Embassy.

Wife will be coming to see me during her thanksgiving break so we shall see if the interview will be taking place around that time (hopefully before, though). Although what I’ve read in this thread, they don’t really allow for outsiders in the Embassy premises (even if the petitioner is a USC).

You are right about that! I live in a small town in the south, so my husband coming here from a city like Gothenburg was a big culture change for him. Fortunately, we are right by the major city here (Charlotte NC), so we get a little bit of the best of both worlds. He does miss being able to just take public transportation anywhere from the house; that's really the only thing I've heard him mention enough times. But I'm hoping once he gets his license and can get out and about on his own without being so dependent on me, that will go away a little. It would go both ways, if we were to move to Sweden - I'm so dependent on my car and driving everywhere, but over there it just isn't necessary all the time. There's a lot cultural differences, and being able to have visited GBG myself I can see that more. Sweden is a wonderful, beautiful place, and I can understand how much of a change, and how tough of a change, it can be!

You are correct about the embassy - they did not allow me inside. I had to take a cab back to the hotel and wait for him (this was in February, so no waiting outside! At least not for my southern bones! lol). The officer mentioned something about a list though, which we knew nothing about, so perhaps there is a list the petitioner can be added to ahead of time...? Worth giving a call and looking into beforehand, if your partner may possibly be there with you. If not - it was still worthwhile to me to at least be in the same city with him. Instead of waiting for him to call me and tell me about it (not to mention it would've been 2am my time if he had), I was able to see him in person immediately after and hear all about it, which was great!

The process can be overwhelming, and I don't think we ever felt like we had it 100% along the way. I've learned not to take anything for granted and just being as prepared as possible is the best you can do. This site is one of the best resources - if not THE best - that we have ever come across!

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hey guys, quick question. I just scheduled my interview and when filling out the address for them to mail back the original documents (and hopefully passport with a visa!) it said it had to be a Swedish address. Of course, I just did my Danish address. Do I have to talk to them to make sure I get my documents back? 

3 hours ago, Reverie said:

Hey guys, quick question. I just scheduled my interview and when filling out the address for them to mail back the original documents (and hopefully passport with a visa!) it said it had to be a Swedish address. Of course, I just did my Danish address. Do I have to talk to them to make sure I get my documents back? 

At the interview they have you write your address on the envelope they’re going to send :)

Edited by K.and.R

YAYYY!! Got my interview appointment for end of October. Now CEAC shows at Stockholm instead of NVC, too. The wait has been excruciating but at least after becoming documentarily qualified it took them less than four weeks to find me an interview appointment 😊

Got my medical scheduled, too. They didn’t offer me any alternatives so good thing I am off work that day. I specifically asked for a ballpark figure as to how much the medical costs but they completely ignored my question 🤷🏼‍♂️

CR-1:

Married in Sweden 8/2017
CR-1 Approved 10/2018
POE LAX 01/11/2019

I-751:

Timeline
50 minutes ago, Locito said:

YAYYY!! Got my interview appointment for end of October. Now CEAC shows at Stockholm instead of NVC, too. The wait has been excruciating but at least after becoming documentarily qualified it took them less than four weeks to find me an interview appointment 😊

Got my medical scheduled, too. They didn’t offer me any alternatives so good thing I am off work that day. I specifically asked for a ballpark figure as to how much the medical costs but they completely ignored my question 🤷🏼‍♂️

Depends on which clinic you go to and what kinds of "extras" you need (like shots you're missing). 

Generally speaking, Göteborg is cheaper than Sthlm.

When I went to schedule an appointment for my medical in 2016, Stockholm told me 3200kr for the medical and an additional 500kr for the x-rays.

In Göteborg I only paid 2800kr for everything. I didn't need any extra shots.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Got this by e-mail from the clinic per general vaccination requirements:

5F612416-A528-4729-B710-8A0D6FB56D30.jpeg

CR-1:

Married in Sweden 8/2017
CR-1 Approved 10/2018
POE LAX 01/11/2019

I-751:

Timeline
14 hours ago, Locito said:

Congrats! Things really feel like they start moving fast once you get to this point :)

Similar to Scandi - my husband had his physical in Gothenburg and it was around $300USD, give or take, for everything. But yeah, it depends on what you need as far as vaccinations and tests.

Good luck!!!

Håll ut, y'all.

15 hours ago, Locito said:

Congratulations! I did mine in Stockholm. If I remember correctly it’s 4350kr for the whole thing (of which 550 for X-ray I think). I had to have a tetanus shot which was around 400kr extra.

If you have anything less than one tetanus shot within the past ten years, two MMR shots, varicella history (give approximate date), and one annual flu shot (if it’s flu season when you have your interview), make sure you get those at that appointment. Also I recommend to ask them for a copy of the DS-3025 for your own records.

h

@Locito Also, because I saw you had asked earlier, the medical in Stockholm was extremely smooth. Longest wait was to do the blood tests at the clinic on the other side of the street, just because a lot of people were waiting that day.

A nurse collects some basic medical information (height, weight, eye sight, etc) for 5mins. Then there’s the pee test. Then the doctor asks a bunch of questions about medical history for about 5-10 mins. He was pretty straight forward and not chatty really. Then you go to do the blood tests and that’s it. Plus of course the x-ray that in my case I did the day before at Sofiahemmet.

h

Timeline

Hej everyone!

Glad to join the group of knowledgeable Swedish/American couples discussing the K1 visa process :) We got our petition approved on the 14th of September, and we are now starting to figure out what to do next. I've got a few questions about the various steps and forms that we are gonna deal with in the near future:

• We have a co-sponsor, the petitioner's mom. She makes several times the minimum requirement. Is it enough to state the income and leave the assets/property fields blank?
  • How many years of the sponsor's tax returns do we need?
  • Will we need proof of the sponsor's citizenship? If yes, will a copy of the birth certificate and/or passport bio page be enough, or are originals required?
  • Should I (the beneficiary) wait until I receive packet 3 to schedule my medical? Or should I do it when I've got our case number from the NVC (we're gonna start calling next week)?
  • We live together in Sweden and have done so for 2 years. We don't have both our names on the apartment contract, but could a "folkbokföringsutdrag" for each of us, showing that we are registered on the same address, be used as proof of that we live together?
  • Should I bring a copy of our approved I-129f? Or is that redundant?
  • Is it a bad idea to book the interview before I actually have all the required documents? I'm waiting to receive a police certificate from Taiwan where I lived for a year. But, I'm not sure I will have it when I can book an interview appointment. I might get it in the time between the booking and the interview, or shortly after. But I've also read that someone could not get ahold of police certificates from Timor Leste and that was OK. So I was thinking maybe I can get approved directly or I will have to send it in later. Would you chance it and book an interview slot, or wait for the certificate to arrive?

Grateful for any input!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.