Suss&Camm

Scandinavians Part 2

1,960 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline
On 10/23/2018 at 6:36 PM, Locito said:

I was told at the Embassy that my green card will be with AE’s (all three of them...) even though we filled the original USCIS petition with A’s. I actually didn’t even ask about it, but they just told me.

I asked about the name during my exit interview. The consular officer told me that I should be able to sort this out at the POE. However, CBP told me they can't change anything and referred me back to USCIS. I think I'm still going to inquire with the USCIS. I just want to be informed before I'm at the POE in a couple of weeks 😅

So since your name on the GC has 3 AEs (I have 3 as well), is the name identical on your driver's license? I've read that the name on your GC determines your official name for different IDs and other documents.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
19 hours ago, Reverie said:

Thank you!! And of course, you may!
We filed in early January, NOA2 was July 13th. I received the checklist a month after. I had my medical September 20th and I purposely scheduled my interview a little later than necessary because I still hadn't received the papers I needed for AOF from my fiance. The entire process went very smoothly for us and the interview as well, I was scheduled for 10.00 am. but I actually walked out from there 09.55! Everyone was nice and happy for us! 

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! All the best of luck to you and thanks again! 😁

Thank you very much for answering!  that gives me some hint on how it might go :D
Good luck to you forward, it must be amazing finally being able to go to be with your fiance :D

event.pngevent.png

Timeline
22 hours ago, JosephineAndBobby said:

Congratulations!! that´s amazing! :D
Did the officer tell you at the end of the interview? :D
My fiance and I just filled this September, so we have almost all the wait still. May I ask you how long your process was till NOA2? and how long it took from the NOA2 till you had the interview medical scheduled?
I´m sorry for the questions, it would just be nice to hear from another Dane how your timeline/experience was :)

Again congratulations! :D

Another Dane here who would like to help out :)

I filed back in December last year and received NOA2 early July. Had my medical scheduled for mid August and went to my interview 23rd of August. 

Had my POE early September :)

Though I did schedule everything as close together and as fast as I could. It is possible to do it even quicker if you got everything ready for your interview before receiving NOA2 and know exactly what to do when receiving it (talking about booking the medical and doing the DS-160).

I'll gladly help more too if you need it :)

On 10/26/2018 at 8:37 AM, SpidersWeb said:

I asked about the name during my exit interview. The consular officer told me that I should be able to sort this out at the POE. However, CBP told me they can't change anything and referred me back to USCIS. I think I'm still going to inquire with the USCIS. I just want to be informed before I'm at the POE in a couple of weeks 😅

So since your name on the GC has 3 AEs (I have 3 as well), is the name identical on your driver's license? I've read that the name on your GC determines your official name for different IDs and other documents.

Please let me/us all know how you fare! Can think that there are other lurkers around here with several AE and/or OE in their names 😁

I am still in Sweden so no idea how my GC is gonna look like. Thinking it is with the AEs and all after what they told me at the Embassy. I have actually never possessed a driver’s license (that is probably have to going to change in the US 🤭😅) so don’t know about that.

Getting there, slowly but surely...  (I hope )

Together (well...mostly the Transatlanticism kind of together) Since 12/2013

CR-1:

Married in Sweden 8/2017
(Well Frontloaded) I-130 Sent 12/2017
CR-1 Approved 10/2018
POE LAX 01/11/2019

I-751:

I-751 Package Sent with UPS 11/11/2020
I-751 Received by the AZ Lockbox 11/13/2020
I-751 Check Cashed 12/31/2020
I-797 (with My Last Name Misspelled...) Received by Mail 1/2/2021

Biometrics Appointment Received by Mail...too bad I am in Europe right when it's supposed to take place 🤯 6/14/2021

Rescheduled Biometrics Appointment, the biometric technician can't change the misspelled name on file, but he enters the correct spelling of my last name as an alias 8/2/2021

Interview Ready to Be Scheduled 10/13/2021

(Two Days Later) Interview Was Scheduled 😱 10/15/2021

I-751 Interview, Petition Approved 🥳 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to New Card Is Being Produced 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to Case Was Approved 11/22/2021

Green Card Arrived in the Mail (Name Correctly Spelling, w00t) 11/27/2021

When USCIS Misspells Your Name:

Typographical error form filled on USCIS website 1/4/2021
Contacted USCIS if there has been any progress since THEIR error (Received a Tier 1 tracking number) 2/6/2021
Contacted USCIS again as the issue remains to be resolved (Received ANOTHER Tier 1 tracking number) 3/12/2021
Apparently USCIS chat is worthless; CALLED USCIS, Tier 1 agent promised that a Tier 2 agent would call me 4/28/2021
Received a call from a nice Tier 2 officer who said I may or may not get a correct extension letter, but just in case I would be scheduled an InfoPASS appointment 5/4/2021
Went to local USCIS service center and had to deal with a nasty and entitled customer service agent who refused to give me an I-551 stamp. National Benefits Center is supposed to mail me another I-797 within 7-10 days... So I had to waste my day, taking buses for two hours one-way just to deal with this lady's attitude? 5/7/2021

After anxiously monitoring our mailbox for a few days I DID receive a corrected I-797, w00t! All documents good to go Vaccinated Ready to visit my parents in Europe for the first time in 17 months!!  5/13/2021

The lesson: Don't use the chat for anything complicated, AND keep hassling USCIS for a response...

And oh yeah, yesterday was a day of great joy for me and wifey. Checked the CEAC frantically several times during the

few days that passed since my interview and going into “Administrative Processing” since my medical hadn’t made it to the Embassy on time.

Sure, I was approved at the interview, but when I saw it down in writing after coming back from the grocery store, I FaceTimed CA and we were both laughing and crying!! 😭

I know it is tough for everyone here to be apart from our loved ones, but FINALLY!

Got a notification from PostNord in a timely fashion, too, so just waiting for my passport to get back to me. And then we’ve gotta get flights that ain’t cheap when buying one-way tickets. Probably tanking up on airline miles/bonus points and getting an award flight. Wife will be coming here for the new year so if things work out as planned, we will fly back together ☺️

D69BBB21-DA5B-43FB-98B9-F62C0C38F9E4.jpeg

CR-1:

Married in Sweden 8/2017
CR-1 Approved 10/2018
POE LAX 01/11/2019

I-751:

Biometrics Appointment Received by Mail...too bad I am in Europe right when it's supposed to take place 🤯 6/14/2021

Rescheduled Biometrics Appointment, the biometric technician can't change the misspelled name on file, but he enters the correct spelling of my last name as an alias 8/2/2021

Contacted USCIS if there has been any progress since THEIR error (Received a Tier 1 tracking number) 2/6/2021
Contacted USCIS again as the issue remains to be resolved (Received ANOTHER Tier 1 tracking number) 3/12/2021
Apparently USCIS chat is worthless; CALLED USCIS, Tier 1 agent promised that a Tier 2 agent would call me 4/28/2021
Received a call from a nice Tier 2 officer who said I may or may not get a correct extension letter, but just in case I would be scheduled an InfoPASS appointment 5/4/2021
Went to local USCIS service center and had to deal with a nasty and entitled customer service agent who refused to give me an I-551 stamp. National Benefits Center is supposed to mail me another I-797 within 7-10 days... So I had to waste my day, taking buses for two hours one-way just to deal with this lady's attitude? 5/7/2021

After anxiously monitoring our mailbox for a few days I DID receive a corrected I-797, w00t! All documents good to go Vaccinated Ready to visit my parents in Europe for the first time in 17 months!!  5/13/2021

The lesson: Don't use the chat for anything complicated, AND keep hassling USCIS for a response...

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Locito said:

Please let me/us all know how you fare! Can think that there are other lurkers around here with several AE and/or OE in their names 😁

I am still in Sweden so no idea how my GC is gonna look like. Thinking it is with the AEs and all after what they told me at the Embassy. I have actually never possessed a driver’s license (that is probably have to going to change in the US 🤭😅) so don’t know about that.

Oh sorry, I didn't realize you're still in Sweden 🙈

Funny how you received a different response at the embassy. I'm repeating myself a bit here but in Helsinki they told me the visa has to include the name with AE but that this could be changed at the port of entry for the PR card. However, in contradiction to this, CBP said they can't change anything. They told me to contact the consulate (well, that was already done) or the USCIS. So last night I sent a message to USCIS. Hopefully they'll reply before I'm traveling in a couple of weeks.

It's just nightmarish to think I'd have to have those 3 AE's added to my name, especially because it'll carry over to driver's license etc. as I've read 😅 

I'll let you and everyone else know how it goes 😊

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, Locito said:

And oh yeah, yesterday was a day of great joy for me and wifey. Checked the CEAC frantically several times during the

few days that passed since my interview and going into “Administrative Processing” since my medical hadn’t made it to the Embassy on time.

Sure, I was approved at the interview, but when I saw it down in writing after coming back from the grocery store, I FaceTimed CA and we were both laughing and crying!! 😭

I know it is tough for everyone here to be apart from our loved ones, but FINALLY!

Got a notification from PostNord in a timely fashion, too, so just waiting for my passport to get back to me. And then we’ve gotta get flights that ain’t cheap when buying one-way tickets. Probably tanking up on airline miles/bonus points and getting an award flight. Wife will be coming here for the new year so if things work out as planned, we will fly back together ☺️

I don't know which city you guys are in or which airports you depart from and arrive to..

But if you fly from CPH to LAX I very much want to recommend Norwegian. Direct flights, so less risk of losing your luggage, and it's cheap too. A one way ticket will cost half of a roundtrip ticket, just the way it's supposed to be. I know far from all airlines do it that way, but Norwegian certainly does. When I moved to the US I paid about $180 for my one-way ticket, and then I added two extra pieces of check-in luggage for about $25/each.

Obviously prices differ depending on the season too, but it's worth looking into.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Timeline
On 10/26/2018 at 4:57 PM, EllenE1230 said:

Another Dane here who would like to help out :)

I filed back in December last year and received NOA2 early July. Had my medical scheduled for mid August and went to my interview 23rd of August. 

Had my POE early September :)

Though I did schedule everything as close together and as fast as I could. It is possible to do it even quicker if you got everything ready for your interview before receiving NOA2 and know exactly what to do when receiving it (talking about booking the medical and doing the DS-160).

I'll gladly help more too if you need it :)

Thank you so much EllenE1230 for your input!
You were very lucky to get both a medical appointment and interview only the month after! :D
Did you do the medical in Copenhagen called "Medical Office"? as far as I can see that is the only one in Denmark/ CPH?

You must be in the states now, how wonderful! I hope that you had a great move and the POE went well :D

event.pngevent.png

Timeline
15 hours ago, JosephineAndBobby said:

Thank you so much EllenE1230 for your input!
You were very lucky to get both a medical appointment and interview only the month after! :D
Did you do the medical in Copenhagen called "Medical Office"? as far as I can see that is the only one in Denmark/ CPH?

You must be in the states now, how wonderful! I hope that you had a great move and the POE went well :D

You're most welcome!

I wouldn't call myself lucky though. I actually didn't have another choice since there was only 4 appointments available and they were all within 1-4 weeks :) plus waiting times at the medical facility (also called the medical office like you said :) )is only about 2 weeks so hopefully you can find something quick too! It's also the only place you can go too. Of course I don't know if I was just very lucky with the interview appointment times 🤔

You gotta book an appointment with the x-rays clinic too. The clinic is only 2 streets away from the medical office so you can easily book the appointments on the same day. Though you do have to have your x-rays taken first before going to the medical office. They'll ask when your appointment is with the medical office when you call the x-ray clinic :)

And yes, I'm in the states! Finally married to the love of my life. Now it's time for AOS 😅

On 10/27/2018 at 11:30 PM, Scandi said:

I don't know which city you guys are in or which airports you depart from and arrive to..

But if you fly from CPH to LAX I very much want to recommend Norwegian. Direct flights, so less risk of losing your luggage, and it's cheap too. A one way ticket will cost half of a roundtrip ticket, just the way it's supposed to be. I know far from all airlines do it that way, but Norwegian certainly does. When I moved to the US I paid about $180 for my one-way ticket, and then I added two extra pieces of check-in luggage for about $25/each.

Obviously prices differ depending on the season too, but it's worth looking into.

Thanks a lot for the tip, @Scandi 😊

Any major airport in the LA County would work, even SNA in OC and ONT in San Bernardino County. But I think from here that would mean at least two layovers on the way, most likely with KLM/Air France to AMS/CDG and another at a POE in the States.

Previously Norwegian did have direct flights ARN-LAX but now SAS unfortunately has got no competition on the direct route = fares going up.

What complicates the matter further for us is that I’ve got two cats I can’t bear to give away so they’ll become (almost) Legal Aliens, too 😸 Hence direct flights would be preferred; poor things having to sit in the cages 14-15 hours!

Me and wife have got really bad experiences from Norwegian, though. Them rather going to court than pay the EU261/2004 compensation for delayed

flights. Most recently they delayed ridiculously long (read: weeks upon weeks) to refund her after they re-routed her flights for the Thanksgiving (ie. no

more direct flights ARN-LAX in the winter timetable). Maybe I should go over to FlyerTalk to complain more 😉

We actually started a GoFundMe campaign, too. Never tried that before, and it feels a bit sad to have to be “begging” money from family and relatives...but what are you gonna do with all these

costs piling up...

CR-1:

Married in Sweden 8/2017
CR-1 Approved 10/2018
POE LAX 01/11/2019

I-751:

Timeline

If you have umlauts like Ä in your name and would prefer it transliterated as A instead of AE:

USCIS says you need to write a letter to your service center to have it changed for your permanent residency card.

I will believe it when I see the change 😛

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi all! So good to see some more progress for so many people! :)

Finally beginning to come down from cloud nine over here... we finally had our traditional Swedish American wedding reception at the beginning of the month and it was everything we wanted and better than what we ever could've imagined. Having his family here, in the states, WITH my family, is something we've only dreamed about all these years, and it was phenomenal. So much love in one room is pretty hard to describe. I have to say, I wasn't too thrilled, initially, with the idea of getting legally married first (when he first got here), and waiting to have a traditional wedding later, but it ended up working the best for us, I think. We were really able to look forward to and enjoy our day, and it just made everything feel that much more official.

Now, we are just waiting on his updated SSN card to arrive in the mail any time now.

Also - looks like EADs and APs have picked up. Even though our officer at the AOS interview told us those two applications will basically drop off, with the GC being approved, my VJ timeline has still been updating me on predicted adjudication for those, and it went from saying mid November as an estimation, to "Any day now!". So fingers crossed they are picking up across the board!!

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Timeline

On 10/29/2018 at 1:49 PM, EllenE1230 said:

You're most welcome!

I wouldn't call myself lucky though. I actually didn't have another choice since there was only 4 appointments available and they were all within 1-4 weeks :) plus waiting times at the medical facility (also called the medical office like you said :) )is only about 2 weeks so hopefully you can find something quick too! It's also the only place you can go too. Of course I don't know if I was just very lucky with the interview appointment times 🤔

You gotta book an appointment with the x-rays clinic too. The clinic is only 2 streets away from the medical office so you can easily book the appointments on the same day. Though you do have to have your x-rays taken first before going to the medical office. They'll ask when your appointment is with the medical office when you call the x-ray clinic :)

And yes, I'm in the states! Finally married to the love of my life. Now it's time for AOS 😅

Yes I hope to be able to plan everything that fast as well! we will see :D
Thank you for all the info!

And congratulations on your marriage! :D Must be amazing! I can´t wait! :D
Oh yes the AOS! But I´m sure you´ll pass through that no problem, and I imagine the process wait is easier when you at least get to be with your husband!:D

Another question, maybe someone else in the forum can also answer, I want to take my fiances last name when we get married, but I am then wondering if that will be an issue for the AOS, and in general, because my passport will have my original name? or do I have to get a new pass port before I can apply for the AOS? That would slow the process down quite a bit and complecate it if I have to reniew my passport before applying AOS.

event.pngevent.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi ! I had my K-1 interview in Stockholm today and I was approved. The CO said I'll have the passport & visa in about 5 working days. If I want to track the status at CEAC until then, is this NIV type correct ? Today it's No Status, but hopefully on Monday Nov 5 it'll be in another status, right ?

image.png.a6eb00e94e48a4ae5b11ab49332082a8.png

Timeline
14 hours ago, JosephineAndBobby said:

Yes I hope to be able to plan everything that fast as well! we will see :D
Thank you for all the info!

And congratulations on your marriage! :D Must be amazing! I can´t wait! :D
Oh yes the AOS! But I´m sure you´ll pass through that no problem, and I imagine the process wait is easier when you at least get to be with your husband!:D

Another question, maybe someone else in the forum can also answer, I want to take my fiances last name when we get married, but I am then wondering if that will be an issue for the AOS, and in general, because my passport will have my original name? or do I have to get a new pass port before I can apply for the AOS? That would slow the process down quite a bit and complecate it if I have to reniew my passport before applying AOS.

It is definitely much easier to wait now that we're together. Don't care how long it takes now that I can be with him :)

I'm working through the AOS with a lawyer and I'm not sure how she is changing my name but when filing she is using my old passport information and my new name. Hope that helps a bit :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.