Suss&Camm

Scandinavians Part 2

1,960 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

We stayed at the Radisson Blu Hotel during my husband's interview - it isn't walking distance from the Embassy, it was about a 10-15 minute cab ride. We chose it because it is right next to the train station, and we had to take the train from Gothenburg and preferred to be closer to it so we didn't have to lug our bags around. We also stayed a couple of days, while we were there, and liked that area because there was a lot in walking distance, like restaurants and such. If anyone needs a hotel close to the station, I would recommend that one. They were incredibly nice and welcoming (especially to me, the non-fluent Swedish speaker :) ) and the room was very nice.

For the interview - the same thing happened to my husband, as far as his medical papers having not arrived yet. If they went ahead and took your passport, and that is all they are waiting on, you will most likely get your passport with your visa inside in the mail in about a week, week and a half.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
40 minutes ago, Paul & Mallory said:

We stayed at the Radisson Blu Hotel during my husband's interview - it isn't walking distance from the Embassy, it was about a 10-15 minute cab ride. We chose it because it is right next to the train station, and we had to take the train from Gothenburg and preferred to be closer to it so we didn't have to lug our bags around. We also stayed a couple of days, while we were there, and liked that area because there was a lot in walking distance, like restaurants and such. If anyone needs a hotel close to the station, I would recommend that one. They were incredibly nice and welcoming (especially to me, the non-fluent Swedish speaker :) ) and the room was very nice.

For the interview - the same thing happened to my husband, as far as his medical papers having not arrived yet. If they went ahead and took your passport, and that is all they are waiting on, you will most likely get your passport with your visa inside in the mail in about a week, week and a half.

They did take my passport! Now I can be even more excited! 

According to the medical office they sent the papers Tuesday this week. I'm hoping to hear something next week 😄

Though isn't the CEAC website supposed to change from "Ready" to something else now that I've been to the interview? I can see my case has been updated yesterday but nothing has changed?

Timeline
7 minutes ago, EllenE1230 said:

They did take my passport! Now I can be even more excited! 

According to the medical office they sent the papers Tuesday this week. I'm hoping to hear something next week 😄

Though isn't the CEAC website supposed to change from "Ready" to something else now that I've been to the interview? I can see my case has been updated yesterday but nothing has changed?

It won't change until they issue the visa, then it will say "Issued". It MAY change to AP/Administrative Processing, but they probably won't update it until they get what they still need (your medical papers).

If they sent the papers last Tuesday, they should have them now, or any day now. Since it's Friday today, I'd guess early next week for an update, unless they are slower than usual for some reason now than they were a few months ago. My husband's physical was on 2/15, his interview on 2/22, and he got his passport/visa the following Monday, I think that was March 5.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

Timeline

Hi guys! I’m new to this site and I’m happy to discover there’s a Scandinavian thread! 

So I’m waiting to receive the documents my fiancé sent and now all I need is the medical and the interview. Even though I haven’t scheduled an appointment yet I’m already feeling really nervous! 

I’m a 25-year-old woman from Denmark. My fiancé and I met online in 2009 and in April of 2013 I went to visit him for the first time. We’ve been dating ever since, got engaged in July last year, and have been taking turns visiting each other at least 3-4 times every year, with me visiting him for as long as my ESTA allowed ever since I graduated in 2016.

I’m confident they’re gonna grant me the visa, but I’m still nervous and thinking about worst-case scenario. I think it’s because we plan on getting married at the courthouse and then have a “vow renewal” later down the line as we’d rather spend the money we have on buying a house. I’m afraid they’re going to find it suspicious that we have no specific ceremony or party planned. 

Do you guys think they’re going to care or am I just being paranoid? Also, for those who have had the interview, how was it and what kind of questions were asked?

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
9 hours ago, Reverie said:

Hi guys! I’m new to this site and I’m happy to discover there’s a Scandinavian thread! 

So I’m waiting to receive the documents my fiancé sent and now all I need is the medical and the interview. Even though I haven’t scheduled an appointment yet I’m already feeling really nervous! 

I’m a 25-year-old woman from Denmark. My fiancé and I met online in 2009 and in April of 2013 I went to visit him for the first time. We’ve been dating ever since, got engaged in July last year, and have been taking turns visiting each other at least 3-4 times every year, with me visiting him for as long as my ESTA allowed ever since I graduated in 2016.

I’m confident they’re gonna grant me the visa, but I’m still nervous and thinking about worst-case scenario. I think it’s because we plan on getting married at the courthouse and then have a “vow renewal” later down the line as we’d rather spend the money we have on buying a house. I’m afraid they’re going to find it suspicious that we have no specific ceremony or party planned. 

Do you guys think they’re going to care or am I just being paranoid? Also, for those who have had the interview, how was it and what kind of questions were asked?

Thanks!

Yes, you're being paranoid. 😁 

They almost expect you to not have planned anything since you're applying for a K-1 visa. When starting the i-129f/K-1 process you have no idea when you will receive your petition approval from USCIS, you have no idea when you will have your interview, no idea when you will be approved for the visa or when you'll have the visa in hand etc. And once you're past all that and the hurdles with actually moving, you still only have 90 days to get married. It's very hard to plan anything under such circumstances and obviously the COs at the embassy are well aware of that. 

Like most people who apply for a K-1 me and my now husband hadn't planned anything. We were just waiting for me to get the visa before we even started thinking about wedding plans. When we arrived together at LAX airport we were asked by CBP if we had set a date yet, and we answered honestly that we didn't. We set the date on random the same day we picked up our marriage license. 

The interview is the easiest part of the whole process. They just ask questions about you and your partner, it's not a quiz. You can read reviews here on VJ for the Stockholm embassy. http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Sweden&cty=&dfilter=5&topic=K1+Visa

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
9 hours ago, Reverie said:

Thanks!

I see it says your other half lives in CT.  I used to live there too, or at least I did when I met my husband.

I think you'll have no problem at all.  As a comparison - my husband and I started talking online in November of 2011, met for the first time in person in January of 2012 and got married at the Aarhus Rådhus some months later.  It was just us and the officiants.  We had no problem getting a visa in early 2013.

It isn't weird at all for Scandinavians to just have courthouse weddings, or Americans for that matter.  My in-laws were also married in the exact same room at the city hall that we were.  My first American wedding wasn't even a courthouse one, we self-officiated and signed some paperwork (only an option in Colorado as far as I am aware).

You can read the reviews of the embassy on here for some of the questions asked.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

Questions for the ones who have already travelled to USA on your K1 visa

What was it like to enter? I know you're supposed to hand the officer the package from the embassy and your x-rays. Anything else that I might have forgotten?

And what happened? Were you taken aside and asked questions? Or was it almost just like when travelling to USA on an ESTA?

I haven't read much about this. I would love some insight since I'm soon travelling to finally be with my fiancé!

Thanks in advance! 

Timeline
21 hours ago, Reverie said:

Thanks!

Welcome, welcome!!

Yes, you are being paranoid :D They don't care about that at all. In fact, my husband (who is the Swede) and I did the same exact thing. He came on his K1 back in May, and we got married legally a couple weeks later. We are having a traditional "wedding" reception in October with our family and friends. We did it that way mostly for finances, also, but also so his family from Sweden would be able to make the trip to the states to be here for it. I think a LOT of people do that, Scandinavian and otherwise, so don't worry about that at all.

I always say hope for the best and plan for the worst, but I don't think most Scandinavians have much trouble at all, if their case is pretty straight forward. Sounds like you guys have a lot of strong history together, so I don't think you have anything to worry about! :) 

1 hour ago, EllenE1230 said:

What was it like to enter? I know you're supposed to hand the officer the package from the embassy and your x-rays. Anything else that I might have forgotten?

And what happened? Were you taken aside and asked questions? Or was it almost just like when travelling to USA on an ESTA?

I haven't read much about this. I would love some insight since I'm soon travelling to finally be with my fiancé!

Thanks in advance! 

I'm speaking from the petitioner's point of view, but I think my husband's POE was pretty smooth, just kind of long. He was back there for a little over an hour after he landed, which made me nervous from the other side while waiting on him, but it sounded like a majority of that time was spent waiting, not with an actual officer. He said they just ask some questions, look at your documents, and that's pretty much it. Made a comment about making sure we got married within the 90 days. He did say it felt slightly intimidating, mostly just because it's such an intimidating atmosphere in general and a girl that was before him ended up getting sent back before he had to go in there, but I always say we don't know other people's situations, and she could have screwed something up for herself. He said his was pretty smooth and the officer seemed to be more friendly at the end once everything looked good. I think they are just naturally stone faced upfront because they have to be, so just don't take it personally if they are. The officer congratulated him and welcomed him to the states when he left.

I believe he went through the same process as he always did, just went to a different line this time since he had the K1 visa and not just his European passport/ESTA as a tourist. He had to go into a different waiting area/room to be asked his questions, but as far as checking his documents, that seemed pretty typical.

Håll ut, y'all.

Timeline

@Paul & Mallory

A different line? The only ones I've seen when travelling into the US was citizen/green card and visitors. It was only split into 2 categories. I just assumed I had to go to the one I usually went through? As far as I've noticed that line was also the only one which actually had a real person sitting at the end of it. But I could be wrong?

Timeline
Just now, EllenE1230 said:

@Paul & Mallory

A different line? The only ones I've seen when travelling into the US was citizen/green card and visitors. It was only split into 2 categories. I just assumed I had to go to the one I usually went through? As far as I've noticed that line was also the only one which actually had a real person sitting at the end of it. But I could be wrong?

I may not have understood the description of how it went since I wasn't the one in line, so you may be right. The main thing that was different, based on his explanation afterwards, was going to the different room/area and being questioned differently than usual. I've never entered as a tourist, so I'm not 100% sure of that part, I apologize :P

Don't get hung up on the line at this point, in my opinion - it should be appropriately defined/labeled and even if it's not, just ask which direction to go with a K1 visa.

Håll ut, y'all.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Paul & Mallory said:

I may not have understood the description of how it went since I wasn't the one in line, so you may be right. The main thing that was different, based on his explanation afterwards, was going to the different room/area and being questioned differently than usual. I've never entered as a tourist, so I'm not 100% sure of that part, I apologize :P

Don't get hung up on the line at this point, in my opinion - it should be appropriately defined/labeled and even if it's not, just ask which direction to go with a K1 visa.

You're right. Just stressing a bit too much out and wanting to know everything beforehand so I don't do something I shouldn't xD

At worst I'll just have to go back in another line. But thanks for the help anyway :)

Timeline
1 minute ago, EllenE1230 said:

You're right. Just stressing a bit too much out and wanting to know everything beforehand so I don't do something I shouldn't xD

At worst I'll just have to go back in another line. But thanks for the help anyway :)

I think that's normal. My husband searched the forums like crazy before he came back on his visa for the same reasons - he was so worried it would be so different and he would misunderstand something. The worst part for him was how long he had to wait (he said there weren't any restrooms where he was waiting, either, so PS maybe visit the bathroom on the plane right before landing).

Håll ut, y'all.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Paul & Mallory said:

I think that's normal. My husband searched the forums like crazy before he came back on his visa for the same reasons - he was so worried it would be so different and he would misunderstand something. The worst part for him was how long he had to wait (he said there weren't any restrooms where he was waiting, either, so PS maybe visit the bathroom on the plane right before landing).

XD thanks! haha

I've been taken aside for questioning before when I went to visit my fiancé. I'm sort of expecting it to be where I'll be taken this time too for questioning. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, EllenE1230 said:

XD thanks! haha

I've been taken aside for questioning before when I went to visit my fiancé. I'm sort of expecting it to be where I'll be taken this time too for questioning. 

It probably is; I don't think my husband ever had been before, so his K1 POE was the first time. In that case, I would guess it'll be either the same or very similar.

Håll ut, y'all.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
2 hours ago, EllenE1230 said:

Thanks in advance! 

You only hand them the envelope and passport,  not the x-ray CD.

My now husband (then fiancé) went to Sweden to "pick me up" so we travelled back to the US together. Our POE was LAX and my husband went with me in the visitors line, as we were directed there by the airport employees. We went up to the CBP officer together and we handed him our passports, he then asked for the envelope which he opened and seemed to read something.

He only asked me two questions, "What did you work with in Sweden?" and "How many times have you been to the US?", almost seemed like he just verified that my answers matched up with the info that was inside the envelope. He then asked my husband about what type of work he does and what date we had set for the wedding. When we told him we didn't have a date yet he seemed amused, haha. Then he said "Welcome to the US" to me and "Welcome back, sir" to my husband.

Extremely simple, zero harrassment, went very quick. Just as easy as travelling on a ESTA. I was never taken to another room or anything. I don't know if it made a difference or not that the petitioner travelled with me.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.