Suss&Camm

Scandinavians Part 2

1,960 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Thanks for the replies, guys! I feel much better now 😁

I love the American people and I'm excited to finally be with my soon to be husband for good. But going from being a "tourist" to actually living there is a completely different thing, so that's going to be interesting, lol. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Scandi said:

You only hand them the envelope and passport,  not the x-ray CD.

My now husband (then fiancé) went to Sweden to "pick me up" so we travelled back to the US together. Our POE was LAX and my husband went with me in the visitors line, as we were directed there by the airport employees. We went up to the CBP officer together and we handed him our passports, he then asked for the envelope which he opened and seemed to read something.

He only asked me two questions, "What did you work with in Sweden?" and "How many times have you been to the US?", almost seemed like he just verified that my answers matched up with the info that was inside the envelope. He then asked my husband about what type of work he does and what date we had set for the wedding. When we told him we didn't have a date yet he seemed amused, haha. Then he said "Welcome to the US" to me and "Welcome back, sir" to my husband.

Extremely simple, zero harrassment, went very quick. Just as easy as travelling on a ESTA. I was never taken to another room or anything. I don't know if it made a difference or not that the petitioner travelled with me.

Hm, do you possibly know why they didn't ask for the x-rays? I'm going to bring them just in case because I've read many places I'm supposed to hand carry them when I enter. 

But how nice that he came to pick you up ^_^ 

And thank you for writing what kind of questions they asked. It all seems relatively easy :) 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, EllenE1230 said:

Hm, do you possibly know why they didn't ask for the x-rays? I'm going to bring them just in case because I've read many places I'm supposed to hand carry them when I enter. 

And thank you for writing what kind of questions they asked. It all seems relatively easy :) 

I believe Paul said they asked something similar, about what he does for a living, so that must be a pretty common question you can expect. I think he said they asked what he did in Sweden and if he plans to do that in the states.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
4 hours ago, EllenE1230 said:

Because the results of your full medical (including the x-ray results) are already in the envelope. They won't and can't look at the CD anyway (it requires a specific program). So keep the CD with your other important documents in your carry-on or so. All they want at POE is your envelope, your passport and fingerprints (and the declaration you fill out on the plane of course).

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
7 hours ago, EllenE1230 said:

They do not ask for it. I wasn't asked and I have not seen anyone being asked for it. They can't look at it anyway.

Timeline

Hej

Paul here, Mallory usually post the majority of the time. But I was curious on your take here from a Swedish/Scandinavian perspective. I took my medical examination for the K1 visa in Göteborg with Einar. (Great guy btw) I came in to the states missing a Tdap shot, which was taken a couple of weeks ago. In that regard I had to transcribe my copy of the vaccination worksheet I got at a US civil surgeon.  My question is...did you all get check marks on your copy of the DS 3025 instead of dates?  

IMAGE 2018-08-31 16:34:44.jpg

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

Timeline
9 hours ago, Paul & Mallory said:

Hej

Paul here, Mallory usually post the majority of the time. But I was curious on your take here from a Swedish/Scandinavian perspective. I took my medical examination for the K1 visa in Göteborg with Einar. (Great guy btw) I came in to the states missing a Tdap shot, which was taken a couple of weeks ago. In that regard I had to transcribe my copy of the vaccination worksheet I got at a US civil surgeon.  My question is...did you all get check marks on your copy of the DS 3025 instead of dates?  

Yes, I got checkmarks too. Einar barely even looked at all the vaccination records I brought with me (so he never bothered with any dates), he just put check marks on each vaccination that the average Swede receives in their childhood/youth. It was that simple, Einar makes it so easy for us. 😁

Edited by Scandi

Timeline
7 hours ago, Scandi said:

Yes, I got checkmarks too. Einar barely even looked at all the vaccination records I brought with me (so he never bothered with any dates), he just put check marks on each vaccination that the average Swede receives in their childhood/youth. It was that simple, Einar makes it so easy for us. 😁

Unfortunately, it's making it a little less than easy for us :( Since the Tdap was saved for stateside, we're having trouble finding a US civil surgeon who will complete the vaccination worksheet, given the prior vaccinations taken in Sweden in the past do not have dates. At least we know it seems to have been that way for other Swedes - I think we are just hitting a snag because the form wasn't complete, in this case.

Thank you! :)

Håll ut, y'all.

Timeline

Hey everyone!

I just received an envelope from the embassy after my interview. 

Since there's something I'm not allowed to open but just gotta bring to the United States with me, I'm not sure if it's the entire envelope or not?

Is my passport inside the envelope along with another envelope I'm not allowed to open? I don't wanna open the letter by mistake.

I hope someone can help!

Thanks in advance!

Timeline
4 hours ago, EllenE1230 said:

Hey everyone!

I just received an envelope from the embassy after my interview. 

Since there's something I'm not allowed to open but just gotta bring to the United States with me, I'm not sure if it's the entire envelope or not?

Is my passport inside the envelope along with another envelope I'm not allowed to open? I don't wanna open the letter by mistake.

I hope someone can help!

Thanks in advance!

No your passport is not in the envelope as you need to show that to the airline when you check in.

Was it a brown envelope with a white piece of paper attached to it?

Timeline
2 hours ago, Unidentified said:

No your passport is not in the envelope as you need to show that to the airline when you check in.

Was it a brown envelope with a white piece of paper attached to it?

I already opened it and you are indeed correct :)

It's a sort of brown/dark orange envelope with white paper attached to it yes.

I honestly thought they were going to put it in my mailbox but they were so nice as to bring it to my door ^_^ 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, EllenE1230 said:

I already opened it and you are indeed correct :)

It's a sort of brown/dark orange envelope with white paper attached to it yes.

I honestly thought they were going to put it in my mailbox but they were so nice as to bring it to my door ^_^ 

So you opened the envelope you weren't supposed to open? If yes, you're going to have to contact the embassy... 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

So you opened the envelope you weren't supposed to open? If yes, you're going to have to contact the embassy... 

No, I didn't. There's an envelope inside the letter which has "DO NOT OPEN" on it. I'm thinking that's the one I'm not supposed to open.

I just wasn't sure if my passport was in the letter, or if it was the letter I wasn't allowed to open.

Edited by EllenE1230

Timeline
8 hours ago, Unidentified said:

They don't just send the sealed envelope on its own, they put it in another envelope which you open to get your passport and other documents that weren't needed for the brown, sealed envelope.

Timeline
54 minutes ago, Scandi said:

They don't just send the sealed envelope on its own, they put it in another envelope which you open to get your passport and other documents that weren't needed for the brown, sealed envelope.

Is that because they kept breaking? When I did it I got the brown envelope with the paper and passport secured to it with a rubber band. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.