Suss&Camm

Scandinavians Part 2

1,960 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Ralph2CO said:

Hi ! I had my K-1 interview in Stockholm today and I was approved. The CO said I'll have the passport & visa in about 5 working days. If I want to track the status at CEAC until then, is this NIV type correct ? Today it's No Status, but hopefully on Monday Nov 5 it'll be in another status, right ?

image.png.a6eb00e94e48a4ae5b11ab49332082a8.png

Congratulations on your approval! 😊

I thought in this instance even K-1 counts as an immigrant visa? After I was approved for my CR-1 pending the medical results, I could see the same day that my visa was under administrative processing.

In the example it says that your Application ID or Case Number can begin with AA or the year. What do your papers say? My immigrant visa all the way from NVC started with STK. If yours starts with STK, then maybe it is under immigrant visa, too?

Edited by Locito
for => on

Getting there, slowly but surely...  (I hope )

Together (well...mostly the Transatlanticism kind of together) Since 12/2013

CR-1:

Married in Sweden 8/2017
(Well Frontloaded) I-130 Sent 12/2017
CR-1 Approved 10/2018
POE LAX 01/11/2019

I-751:

I-751 Package Sent with UPS 11/11/2020
I-751 Received by the AZ Lockbox 11/13/2020
I-751 Check Cashed 12/31/2020
I-797 (with My Last Name Misspelled...) Received by Mail 1/2/2021

Biometrics Appointment Received by Mail...too bad I am in Europe right when it's supposed to take place 🤯 6/14/2021

Rescheduled Biometrics Appointment, the biometric technician can't change the misspelled name on file, but he enters the correct spelling of my last name as an alias 8/2/2021

Interview Ready to Be Scheduled 10/13/2021

(Two Days Later) Interview Was Scheduled 😱 10/15/2021

I-751 Interview, Petition Approved 🥳 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to New Card Is Being Produced 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to Case Was Approved 11/22/2021

Green Card Arrived in the Mail (Name Correctly Spelling, w00t) 11/27/2021

When USCIS Misspells Your Name:

Typographical error form filled on USCIS website 1/4/2021
Contacted USCIS if there has been any progress since THEIR error (Received a Tier 1 tracking number) 2/6/2021
Contacted USCIS again as the issue remains to be resolved (Received ANOTHER Tier 1 tracking number) 3/12/2021
Apparently USCIS chat is worthless; CALLED USCIS, Tier 1 agent promised that a Tier 2 agent would call me 4/28/2021
Received a call from a nice Tier 2 officer who said I may or may not get a correct extension letter, but just in case I would be scheduled an InfoPASS appointment 5/4/2021
Went to local USCIS service center and had to deal with a nasty and entitled customer service agent who refused to give me an I-551 stamp. National Benefits Center is supposed to mail me another I-797 within 7-10 days... So I had to waste my day, taking buses for two hours one-way just to deal with this lady's attitude? 5/7/2021

After anxiously monitoring our mailbox for a few days I DID receive a corrected I-797, w00t! All documents good to go Vaccinated Ready to visit my parents in Europe for the first time in 17 months!!  5/13/2021

The lesson: Don't use the chat for anything complicated, AND keep hassling USCIS for a response...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Thanks @Locito

I went to the IV url and used my STK case no. and I can see I'm now in Ready status, and hoping to see this change into Issued mid next week 😀

This VJ forum is very valuable, Thx again for ur help

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 hour ago, EllenE1230 said:

It is definitely much easier to wait now that we're together. Don't care how long it takes now that I can be with him :)

I'm working through the AOS with a lawyer and I'm not sure how she is changing my name but when filing she is using my old passport information and my new name. Hope that helps a bit :)

I can imagine it is a lot better waiting together!
Thanks, yeah that helps, I have also been searching around on VJ and it seems like it is okay to use the old passport, since the name change is on the marriage license, so it´s possible to file in the new name. But I´ll keep researching, we are gonna try and do it without having lawyer help so there is a loot to figure out :D
Thanks for taking your time to answer all my questions, it is very much appreciated!

event.pngevent.png

Timeline
30 minutes ago, JosephineAndBobby said:

I can imagine it is a lot better waiting together!
Thanks, yeah that helps, I have also been searching around on VJ and it seems like it is okay to use the old passport, since the name change is on the marriage license, so it´s possible to file in the new name. But I´ll keep researching, we are gonna try and do it without having lawyer help so there is a loot to figure out :D
Thanks for taking your time to answer all my questions, it is very much appreciated!

Hm, I don't see my name change on my marriage license? It's my old name which is being used there. Did I miss something? 

People on VJ usually say it's not necessarily better to file with a lawyer, and I very much agree with them. We did it mostly out of convenience and hopefully a less change of Eye's. Though I've been told that the guides on here are very useful :)

Good luck with the filing!

Timeline

Oh it´s only if you change your last name that it will appear on the marriage license, but I´m only in the process of understanding everything so I could be wrong :)

Yes, I totally get the convenience with a lawyer and if we had had the money or we didn´t have time to research everything enough to a point I feel comfortable to do it our self, we would go with a lawyer too. But yes Vj is a super tool :D
Thank you!

event.pngevent.png

Timeline

Different states have different marriage licenses/certificates. It doesn't matter if your state issues lisences where there's no space for "new name" or " married name", you still file AOS with your spouse's surname if that's the name you want to use. USCIS doesn't need anything else in regards to name change. Maiden name is then written under "other names used" on the i-485 form.

In California we can add our married name on the license and certificate, but like I said, not all states have it like that.

You do NOT want to file for AOS in your maiden name if you want to take your spouse's name. It'll cost you a hood $500 to have the name changed on the greencard afterwards.

And don't use a lawyer, it's very much wasted money. The AOS part is also several times easier than the i-129f/K-1 part was. Very, very easy to handle yourself.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Timeline
7 hours ago, Scandi said:

Different states have different marriage licenses/certificates. It doesn't matter if your state issues lisences where there's no space for "new name" or " married name", you still file AOS with your spouse's surname if that's the name you want to use. USCIS doesn't need anything else in regards to name change. Maiden name is then written under "other names used" on the i-485 form.

In California we can add our married name on the license and certificate, but like I said, not all states have it like that.

You do NOT want to file for AOS in your maiden name if you want to take your spouse's name. It'll cost you a hood $500 to have the name changed on the greencard afterwards.

And don't use a lawyer, it's very much wasted money. The AOS part is also several times easier than the i-129f/K-1 part was. Very, very easy to handle yourself.

Hi Scandi,

Thank you very much for your answer! That clears up a lot! :D
Do you know if its okay to file for the AOS in the new surname but using the old passport with the maiden name?

event.pngevent.png

Timeline
17 hours ago, JosephineAndBobby said:

Hi Scandi,

Thank you very much for your answer! That clears up a lot! :D
Do you know if its okay to file for the AOS in the new surname but using the old passport with the maiden name?

Of course, no problem at all. File as soon as you can. 👍

Timeline

Hi

I got my passport & K-1 Visa at the PostNord service agent today (incl the sealed package) I've enjoyed the valuable information very much in this sub-forum where the Scandinavian experiences have been shared. Many thanks to the people that have traveled before me ... 😉

What are your recommendation of sub-forum to cover the next steps of the process:

image.png.8c4378e915aa29b32b741e89b2d87c7e.png

Is this the best = Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from K1 and K3 Family Based Visas or should I find if there's a special sub-forum for my State = Colorado ?

or are there other better places to follow ? Where did you move your focus ? or do you make a search on keywords in all forums to see what shows up ?

What about insurance until I'm married ? The plan is PoE at 2018-11-14 and legal Marriage 2019-01-21. My "interpretation" from many different posts in different forums is that Travel insurance from Sweden & ERV or WorldNomads will not give me the help I want. (focused on Health and Dental) I found this from https://help.ihealthagents.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007198194-Can-you-get-Health-Insurance-with-a-K1-Visa-  & Patriot America Plus. What did you choose until you got married ?

Thanks for any input !

Timeline
11 hours ago, Ralph2CO said:

Hi

I got my passport & K-1 Visa at the PostNord service agent today (incl the sealed package) I've enjoyed the valuable information very much in this sub-forum where the Scandinavian experiences have been shared. Many thanks to the people that have traveled before me ... 😉

What are your recommendation of sub-forum to cover the next steps of the process:

Is this the best = Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from K1 and K3 Family Based Visas or should I find if there's a special sub-forum for my State = Colorado ?

or are there other better places to follow ? Where did you move your focus ? or do you make a search on keywords in all forums to see what shows up ?

What about insurance until I'm married ? The plan is PoE at 2018-11-14 and legal Marriage 2019-01-21. My "interpretation" from many different posts in different forums is that Travel insurance from Sweden & ERV or WorldNomads will not give me the help I want. (focused on Health and Dental) I found this from https://help.ihealthagents.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007198194-Can-you-get-Health-Insurance-with-a-K1-Visa-  & Patriot America Plus. What did you choose until you got married ?

Thanks for any input !

Filing for AOS is the same no matter what state you live in. All you need is this guide: https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

If you want to follow other AOS cases from the same month as yours, this will be the subforum: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/131-adjustment-of-status-case-filing-and-progress-reports/

If you want to read reviews from others who had their interviews at your specific field office, this is where you go to choose the office and type of application: https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/

Can't say anything about the insurance as I've never had one.

If you plan on moving soon, go apply for your SSN as soon as you land in the US. It'll come in handy in April when you and your spouse file taxes together. 

Edited by Scandi

Timeline

So I got my visa several weeks ago, and at the interview, they said they'd return all my original papers like birth certificate etc. But the package only contained my passport and the sealed envelope I'm not allowed to open. Could they be inside it?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Hi, 

I am currently in the process of getting my fiance to America. She is from Norway and we are doing the I-129f. I was curious if there are any Norwegians, or anyone, that could give me some advice and guidance on this process. We just got our NOA2 on Nov 16th, 2018. What follows this? And what exactly do I need or what does she need for the process ahead? I would just like to have a tentative timeline and what we need to get together now and to make this a speedy process.

Thanks!

Edited by NDP22

Timeline

Hi to all fellow applicants in Stockholm! 

I am applying for a K-1 visa and this process has been extremely slow. I got my Noa2 on October 4th and will have my medical on the 10th of December. I think I have all the documents ready but the embassy in Stockholm has not sent me a checklist yet so I could not continue to pay the visa fee.

I know that I can only schedule the appointment after the medical. But do you bring the documents to the interview or will you need to sent them in before?

I was hoping to have my interview before Christmas because I need to quit my apartment and job.. 

How did the process work for you? What are the next steps?

Thank you :)

anna

Timeline
On 12/4/2018 at 11:56 PM, aprilfiler2018 said:

I am applying for a K-1 visa and this process has been extremely slow. I got my Noa2 on October 4th and will have my medical on the 10th of December. I think I have all the documents ready but the embassy in Stockholm has not sent me a checklist yet so I could not continue to pay the visa fee.

I know that I can only schedule the appointment after the medical. But do you bring the documents to the interview or will you need to sent them in before?

I was hoping to have my interview before Christmas because I need to quit my apartment and job.. 

anna

Seems weird you haven't got your checklist yet. Normally you get your case number when you call NVC about 20-30 days after your NOA2, and then it doesn't take more than a week for the embassy to send you the checklist. For you that process has already been 2 months.

Are you sure there is no checklist in your or your partner's spam folder? My now husband (the US citizen was the one who received the checklist, not me, the beneficiary). 

Remember to get with the embassy if you wait much longer in taking action, the NOA2 is only valid for 4 months although the embassy may extend it. But don't expect it to happen by itself.

You bring all documents to the interview, nothing is being sent in beforehand.

Edited by Scandi

Timeline
On 12/5/2018 at 2:56 AM, aprilfiler2018 said:

anna

I waited until I had my interview in Sweden scheduled to schedule my medical. But coming from Denmark I could have scheduled it earlier since they didn't ask for anything when I booked it. 

The checklist will definitely be sent to the US citizen. The email they send also says that the USC have to forward it to the beneficiary 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.