Riverbend41

Lawyer says to wait for bill from NVC? We need your advice and help

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We have our notice and our case number assigned, and have been told we are to request the VISA interview now. Problem is, we have an attorney, who says we MUST wait until we receive from NVC, a "bill" for their services, which the attorney has said I give them my credit card info..he pays it quickly with it..then we can proceed. Why? We have given him, at his request, EVERYTHING..she needs for the DS 260, and all the rest..income support, etc., it's all ready. He asked us to gather it, provide it to him, ahead of time, so when we get our notice that she can "schedule her interview" we both know, she must have her St. Luke's physical first... He has not called me now, since last week, says he will review all our papers he requested. We have EVERYTHING down pat. didn't miss anything. He has it. Why cannot he just say to us, Okay...schedule your physical now..and we will pay the NVC fee..when it comes to your petitioner?? We are confused, and don't want our attorney angry with us over this, but have been waiting for him to contact us, and nothing comes from NVC for the "Bill" he's waiting for. We receieved notice from NVC on June 21, 2016, that they have forwardee our case to the Embassy in Manila. We received notice shortly after that we should schedule our interview...we are confused..please someone tell us..what we should do? Thank you and God Bless all who are struggling to be together in this life, legally..LEGALLY>> thank you.

Timeline

We are John and Leny, Philippines petition, K-1, filed in Febuary, 2016.. Our attorney says from his para-legal, "everything is going well, no problems with your petition...but it is holding us up..for another week..another week. Waiting for NVC "Bill" he wants..can we call NVC and ask for our bill to be sent to the petitioner for payment, so we can go to the "physical part of the process"? Thank you to all who may wish to help us.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from Immigration News to K1 fiance visa forum for more answers *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

The new form, which required the "Day" the month and year of all residences from age 16 for my fiance' as well as occupations, etc...is indicated as the new form, DS 260. If I am wrong, please excuse me..I just want to get married...but I thank you. I am confused, because the attorney will not send all the "rest of our stuff" we have already gathered, until he, or I, get the "Bill" from NVC..that is what I was distinctly told...so it's more confusing now. but I thank you for your reply. God Bless.

Timeline

There is no bill from NVC. If you have received your MNL#, you need to pay your VISA fee at BPI, then schedule you medical and interview. Both Hank and Greenbaum both have great websites specific for Philippines K1 that my fiancee and I will be using once we get our MNL number. Also a ton of folks to help you here.... not sure what your lawyer is holding on to for submittal, the rest of the paperwork is taken to the embassy by your fiancee.

Hank's website: http://visaconnection-philippines.com/

Greenbaum's Website: http://tinyurl.com/ob9xoa8

Philippines specific forum: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

Good Luck

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Seems like your attorney is confused with CR1 visa process (ds260) where NVC sends the AOS bill, IV bill to start the process. You better talk to your attorney that yours is k1 visa process and its DS160 and NVC does not send out the bill.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

I'd check and make sure your lawyer knows what kind of case he's doing.

The last thing you will recieve from the NVC is that they forwarded your case. You should get NOTHING else from the NVC after that. Everything past that will come from the embassy.

What other documents is he "holding" if I may ask? There's only so much that you need to gather for the interview, I'm curious if the lawyer even has the right stuff.

DS-160 is for K-1, as it's a non-immigrant visa with immigration intent. You have the 90 days to get married, if you don't, you just leave.

https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/

DS-260 is usually spousal and other types of visa, it's straight up immigration. You come here to stay, no obligation needs to be filled.

https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Timeline

Okay, thank you..all I know is this: He says to me, several weeks ago, "Get all your stuff ready..everythijng so when the embassy says the have your case? We will send it all to them. And we have done that. Every place she has ever lived, ever worked, all of it, documents, up the wazoooo. all correct, and he has them. He says when we get the bill from NVC..then "THEN" he wil submit it all to the embassy. Why? why can't we schedule her physical now? Why waste the time? I have a flower bied and garden all ready for a beautiful wedding in mid-august, if he gets of his butt..and he's waiting fo ra bill from NVC? I don't get it!!! thank you.

Timeline

Riverbend,

All you need to send to her is the I-134 documents and a more recent letter of intent. Do you have the MNL # from NVC? If yes, proceed to follow Hank and Greenbaum's guides. Besides that, all the documents, her Cenomar, NBI, and Police clearances she will bring. They do not get sent to the Embassy, she needs to bring them with her. Your lawyer is not correct. And do not be afraid to question the lawyer, they are working for you, push them....

Good Luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The person you hired does not even understand the process for a K-1 visa applicant. K-1 applicants have their petition sent to the NVC, the NVC assigns a case# and forwards it to the appropriate consulate. That is it. They will send you a letter to let you know your approved I-129f petition was sent to the consulate. It does not stay at the NVC long. You send them no money. You send them no documents. You do not fill out a DS-260.

Ditch the person you hired and follow the instructions from Manila for a K-1 .http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/1178798/Instructions%20Packets/K1%20and%20K2%20Interview%20Preparation%20Instructions%20-%20English%20_February%202016_.pdf

http://manila.usembassy.gov/iv_appointments.html

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I'm lost on this bill part, when my time came to pay my lawyer called I gave him my credit card info he paid it online and he then said I was good to go and later recieved the info from NVC for medical info and what my hubby needed for interview and my lawyer had me front load, I hate to say this but this lawyer sounds fishy ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Good for you that you came here to ask people who actually know, instead of lawyers who most often seem to have no clue what they're doing or talking about. Get rid of the lawyer and continue on your own.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

If you were doing CR 1 for spouse there would be 2 bills and 2 fees to pay

you do K1 as financee, there is no bill tilll you get to embassy

Lawyer is wrong / they just take money

There is no bill from NVC. If you have received your MNL#, you need to pay your VISA fee at BPI, then schedule you medical and interview. Both Hank and Greenbaum both have great websites specific for Philippines K1 that my fiancee and I will be using once we get our MNL number. Also a ton of folks to help you here.... not sure what your lawyer is holding on to for submittal, the rest of the paperwork is taken to the embassy by your fiancee.

Hank's website: http://visaconnection-philippines.com/

Greenbaum's Website: http://tinyurl.com/ob9xoa8

Philippines specific forum: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

Good Luck

:thumbs: As Hank always says, if you have your MNL # then it is time to ROCK AND ROLL. Get the number and get moving! (I agree with the others that your lawyer dos not seem to understand the K1 process) Hop on over to the Philippine sub-forum and you will get a lot of similar advice...get the number, pay the visa fee at BPI and get the medical and interview scheduled...DON'T FORGET THE CFO!!!! Good luck.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.