11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hi,

I am really worried about some information I have read.

Long story short, I arrived in the US with a waiver in 2011 and was supposed to stay 90 days. I met the wrong guy, who left me without money and means to go back on time. I'm from France. Anyway, I tried to leave the US but nobody could help me (not even the French Embassy) and then my passport got stolen...

Yeah, my adventurous trip to the US turned pretty quick into a nightmare. I then met my now husband, and finally got my new passport after years of struggle.

We are about to file for the I-130 (it took us forever because of finances) and also the I-485 but I keep reading that because I'm way overstayed (5 years), I am not eligible...

Does anyone have any input or help to give me or am I just doomed and will be deported, never to see my husband again?

Edited by FrenchPope

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

overstay is forgiven, but you will need to prove that you entered legally to the country, do you have proof of having entered the country with a visa waiver?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks!

Yes, I have my I-94 number. I lost the original when my papers got stolen but I made a copy from the electronic page, which gave me my number.

You are good to go then:) Overstays ARE forgiven when married to a USC no longer how long ago you entered, as long as you entered LEGALLY! i doubt it would even come up at the interfview so no need to go in detail about it. The good thing is, once you file you will get a EAD work card in about 3 months.. i know people that were here 10yrs as an overstay and found love and married.

if you are married more then 2yrs you will get the 10yr greencard instead of the 2 year conditional so you wont have to do Removal of Conditions:) so that is a bit of paperwork and $500 you save!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

What a relief! Thank you caliliving!

It'll be two years in December so I guess I won't save those $500 :(

So I can file for the I-485 with I-130 or need to wait for a visa number? Because I can't check none of the boxes for the eligibility...

I don't want to risk anything because I can't live without my man!

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

What a relief! Thank you caliliving!

It'll be two years in December so I guess I won't save those $500 :(

It is based on when you get the greencard, so if the approval date is on or after your two year anniversary it will be a 10 year card.

Edited by N-o-l-a

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi,

Long story short, I arrived in the US with a waiver in 2011 and was supposed to stay 90 days. I met the wrong guy, who left me without money and means to go back on time. I'm from France. Anyway, I tried to leave the US but nobody could help me (not even the French Embassy) and then my passport got stolen...

Yeah, my adventurous trip to the US turned pretty quick into a nightmare. I then met my now husband, and finally got my new passport after years of struggle.

We are about to file for the I-130 (it took us forever because of finances) and also the I-485 but I keep reading that because I'm way overstayed (5 years), I am not eligible...

Does anyone have any input or help to give me or am I just doomed and will be deported, never to see my husband again?

Your going to be fine, don't worry, You mentioned you have copy of your I94, that proves you entered legally.

Now since your married to a US citizen, your overstay will be forgiven, one less thing to worry over.

Just have your evidence for a true marriage to send with your documents, Joint check-savings, joint credit cards, on his health insurance, joint utility bills, on mortgage or lease , Will and life insurance showing the other as beneficiary, mail address to both of you, such as Christmas cards and or New Year cards. Birth certificates of any children born of your marriage.

Stop fretting and get busy with evidence and paperwork....... Best wishes on your new journey

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi,

You are good. I have been here 20 years on overstay, lived with my boyf for 18 years and now that same sex marriage is legal we applied and we are schedule for our interview next month.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.