dwarfer

(not legal) wedding ceremony prior to K1 visa interview

49 posts in this topic

Thanks for your advice baron555. Much appreciated.

As noted above, we are planning, but haven't undertaken nor booked a 'wedding party'.

Hence why I'm asking advice on here before taking any further steps.

And at the risk of stating the obvious, I would not lie to immigration - nothing is worth jeopardizing my relationship over.

At the end of the day, we want the same as everyone else...to be together in the most reasonable amount of time possible.

Ah...the joys of immigration. :D

Filed: Other Timeline

"Guys, it was just a theater production. I was playing the role of the groom, and she was playing the role of the bride. Father Rory was playing a priest. Those flowers were all fake, too."

Click the "Spoiler" button to see our full timeline.

I-129F Sent : 2016-02-13

I-129F NOA1 : 2016-02-19

I-129F NOA2 : 2016-04-18

I-129F NOA2 (printed) : 2016-04-22

NBI, CENOMAR, Birth Certificates, Passport Complete: 2016-05-02

NVC Acknowledged Case: 2016-05-06

NVC Assigned Case Number: 2016-05-09

CFO Certificate: 2016-05-12

Medical Complete: 2016-05-17

Interview Passed: 2016-05-23

CEAC Status "Administrative Processing": 2016-05-23

CEAC Status "Issued": 2016-05-24

2GO in transit: 2016-05-26

Visa in hand: 2016-05-27 (Manila)

POE: 2016-05-29

Married: 2016-07-16

AOS Sent: 2016-08-24

NOA Email: 2016-08-31
Biometrics: 2016-09-29
EAD Status "New Card is being produced" : 2016-11-02
AP Status "Case was approved" : 2016-11-02
EAD Status "Card is has been delivered to me by USPS" : 2016-11-18 (Status never said "mailed")
I-485 Status "New Card is being produced":2016-11-22

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

DISCLAIMER: Sorry long time member here I read ALOT of threads!

I wish I had $1 for everytime I saw one of these posts. I could cut and paste 100 links to threads just like this one. I don't know about anyone else, but this visa journey has been the most stressful, difficult thing I've ever done. The last thing on my mind is to risk a denial/refusal for any reason. Go to the Ghana forum and read how many people have been denied for "knocking ceremonies". Others denied for engagement parties that look like weddings or were confused for weddings. African Sub-Sahara forum where VJers were denied because their fiance brought gifts and drinks to in laws.

OP is it worth risking a denial? Is this "fake" wedding ceremony worth not having your loved one here with you? Why, Why risk it?

Edited by LionessDeon

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

As noted above, we are planning, but haven't undertaken nor booked a 'wedding party'.

And at the risk of stating the obvious, I would not lie to immigration - nothing is worth jeopardizing my relationship over.

At the end of the day, we want the same as everyone else...to be together in the most reasonable amount of time possible.

Glad you've not taking offence to mine or other's comments on your thoughts.

Problem is you've already called it a wedding ceremony or wedding party.

It is OK to have a farewell party, but to dress like it is a wedding, to have decorations like a wedding, to stand up in front of folks and pretend to exchange vows...regardless of legality, if the Embassy decides it is wedding enough, then they can declare you as married.

Assuming you don't get a permanent ban because you try to pull a fast one, your worst case is you wait the 5-10 months for the K-1, get denied at the interview, then wait another year for the CR-1 visa.

Personally you have to decide whether your family and friends can wait until you are able to return to have a ceremony with them or if they can not, then you get married now and do the CR-1.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

DISCLAIMER: Sorry long time member here

I wish I had $1 for everytime I saw one of these posts. I could cut and paste 100 links to threads just like this one. I don't know about anyone else, but this visa journey has been the most stressful, difficult thing I've ever done. The last thing on my mind is to risk a denial/refusal for any reason. Go to the Ghana forum and read how many people have been denied for "knocking ceremonies". Others denied for engagement parties that look like weddings or were confused for weddings. African Sub-Sahara forum where VJers were denied because their fiance brought gifts and drinks to in laws.

OP is it worth risking a denial? Is this "fake" wedding ceremony worth not having your loved one here with you? Why, Why risk it?

"Guys, it was just a theater production. I was playing the role of the groom, and she was playing the role of the bride. Father Rory was playing a priest. Those flowers were all fake, too."

As I've said - thank you to you all for your replies (which I value, hence asking the question on this forum), and I refer to my previous response highlighted above.

I will investigate a family 'get-together' to celebrate our engagement, instead. It will be at least a couple of years until I return home and it is possible that some of my relatives might pass away in that time....so, I would like to celebrate something with them before I leave, and also for my fiance to meet my extended family.

Filed: Other Timeline

FWIW (My post was a total joke - hence the fake flowers and quotation marks)

Click the "Spoiler" button to see our full timeline.

I-129F Sent : 2016-02-13

I-129F NOA1 : 2016-02-19

I-129F NOA2 : 2016-04-18

I-129F NOA2 (printed) : 2016-04-22

NBI, CENOMAR, Birth Certificates, Passport Complete: 2016-05-02

NVC Acknowledged Case: 2016-05-06

NVC Assigned Case Number: 2016-05-09

CFO Certificate: 2016-05-12

Medical Complete: 2016-05-17

Interview Passed: 2016-05-23

CEAC Status "Administrative Processing": 2016-05-23

CEAC Status "Issued": 2016-05-24

2GO in transit: 2016-05-26

Visa in hand: 2016-05-27 (Manila)

POE: 2016-05-29

Married: 2016-07-16

AOS Sent: 2016-08-24

NOA Email: 2016-08-31
Biometrics: 2016-09-29
EAD Status "New Card is being produced" : 2016-11-02
AP Status "Case was approved" : 2016-11-02
EAD Status "Card is has been delivered to me by USPS" : 2016-11-18 (Status never said "mailed")
I-485 Status "New Card is being produced":2016-11-22

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

We are talking about Australia and I do not remember seeing anybody have such an issue, never seen one from the UK either.

Asia and Africa, yes, but that is where the legalities can be complicated.

Having said that stop calling something a wedding if it is not, avoid the dressing up and do not submit photos as evidence.

No harm having a party.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

We chose to do this route for the sake of her family, since they would not be able to come to the US to attend a wedding here. We kept everything very private, and in family, nothing was shared on any form of social media, and even after the ceremony we referred to each other as fiancee. This was 100% a ceremony and not a wedding, no paperwork was signed, no legal minister performed the ceremony.

All of the photos were kept within the family, and stored digitally. No photos were presented to USCIS or the Embassy.

Her interview was on 04-05 and she was approved, visa in hand, plane flight booked.

Yes, We took a huge risk but for us it worked out, as others have stated it can be a big problem, so you need to weigh the risks of doing what you want to do.

Edited by Chris and ZhiJia

Click Below to View my timeline (spoiler added to reduce visible space consumption)

Timeline to date:

11/11/14 - Met online through eHarmony
11/12/14 - Started communication through email (1-2 emails daily)
12/20/14 - Communicating through Phone Calls and Video Calls
07/04/15 - First Trip to China to visit her (spent time at her home, her hometown, and Beijing), Met the whole family.
07/18/15 - Sadly I had to return back to the US
10/01/15 - I am returning back to China to be with her again
10/11/15 - She will accompany me back on the same flight for 30 days
11/14/15 - She returns back to China
12/01/15 - I-129F Fed-Ex'd to the Lewisville address
12/03/15 - Packet signed for by the receiver
12/07/15 - NOA1 Generated
12/11/15 - NOA1 Received
01/14/15 - NOA2 Generated (Approved)
01/28/16 - NVC Received (Still waiting papers for official date)
01/29/16 - NVC Case# Assigned (Still waiting papers for official date)
02/03/16 - Case Sent to Embassy
02/04/16 - Case Received by Embassy
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Received
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
03/04/16 - DS-160 Fee paid
03/09/16 - Packet 4 Received (Documents were prepared in advance)
04/02/16 - I return to China to provide moral and emotional support as she goes to her Interview on the 5th
04/05/16 - Interview Date (APPROVED!!!)

04/25/16 - POE Dallas Texas (DFW) smooth sailing through customs

04/25/16 - Arrived in Nashville, TN 10pm
04/29/16 - Marriage Certificate received
SSN filed somewhere after this point (exact date is not remembered, received after a 30 minute wait)
11/16/16 - AoS packet mailed (i-485, i-765, i-131)
11/18/16 - AoS packet received
12/06/16 - Check Cashed
02/28/17 - EAD and AP Approved
03/02/17 - NOA2 for EAD and AP Arrived
03/02/17 - EAD/AP Card Arrived

FWIW (My post was a total joke - hence the fake flowers and quotation marks)

No worries...You know the internet these days...I always assume people are 'taking the piss'. :)

Good luck with your visa process, BTW.

We are talking about Australia and I do not remember seeing anybody have such an issue, never seen one from the UK either.

Asia and Africa, yes, but that is where the legalities can be complicated.

Having said that stop calling something a wedding if it is not, avoid the dressing up and do not submit photos as evidence.

No harm having a party.

Yeah. I think I'll organise a nice family dinner to celebrate our engagement, since my extended family has never met him. I just wanted to have some formal celebration of our relationship for my family to attend.

I'll probably also get the "proof of no marriage" letter from my government, since I'm paranoid like that and I have an affinity for legal paperwork :P:)

We chose to do this route for the sake of her family, since they would not be able to come to the US to attend a wedding here. We kept everything very private, and in family, nothing was shared on any form of social media, and even after the ceremony we referred to each other as fiancee. This was 100% a ceremony and not a wedding, no paperwork was signed, no legal minister performed the ceremony.

All of the photos were kept within the family, and stored digitally. No photos were presented to USCIS or the Embassy.

Her interview was on 04-05 and she was approved, visa in hand, plane flight booked.

Yes, We took a huge risk but for us it worked out, as others have stated it can be a big problem, so you need to weigh the risks of doing what you want to do.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad things worked out for you both, and wish it were the same for more couple on here.

Best wishes for the move!

Edited by dwarfer

Just have an Engagement/Bon Voyage Party. A big one.

Invite people to your party. Because that's what it is, really, right? Don't wear a wedding dress. Don't exchange "vows" or anything remotely resembling vows. Don't have a minister or justice. Just whoop it up with your family and friends, and have your wedding in the U.S.

K-1 visa is a big deal, and when you're granted the right to come to the U.S. and marry, that's what you need to do. Otherwise get married in AU and file CR1.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

I am British, I was almost denied my adjustment of status as the interviewer thought we got married before I came in on my K1. What they mistook for us marrying wasn't even a wedding or party for us.

My husband was best man at his dad's second marriage and she was all for denying us until I said I could get a copy of father in laws marriage certificate with my husband as witness.

This is how strict they can be.

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

I am British, I was almost denied my adjustment of status as the interviewer thought we got married before I came in on my K1. What they mistook for us marrying wasn't even a wedding or party for us.

My husband was best man at his dad's second marriage and she was all for denying us until I said I could get a copy of father in laws marriage certificate with my husband as witness.

This is how strict they can be.

Thanks for sharing your story.

That would have freaked me out big-time. Sheesh.

I would not count on western exceptionalism to cover you if you do decide to do anything that resembles an actual wedding. There is always a risk.

My fiance's family hired a very expensive videographer for our wedding so the entire thing will be recorded well to share with any family that cannot travel.

Maybe use the money you will save not paying for a fake officiator, flowers, etc for your pre-marriage "wedding" party to do the same?

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Don't deny yourself something most women dream of having. But having said that don't bring any pictures or bring the subject up at your interview. You may want to go over in your head what you will say if asked. The more confident in your answer the better off you'll be. A gathering of friends and family to celebrate your engagement is different then a wedding. If you get denied your only recourse is to marry in your country and then file for a spousal visa. There has been some great answers to your question to consider. Good luck with your decision.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.