dwarfer

(not legal) wedding ceremony prior to K1 visa interview

49 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My fiance and I have a wedding ceremony planned in my home country which will almost certainly occur before I get a K1 Visa, but after the I-129f paperwork has been submitted.

It will not be a legal wedding - just a ceremony. My country would not recognise this wedding in any way, not even as a de-facto type relationship.

We're doing it here for various reasons, mostly because I have many more family members than him, and they would not be able to travel to the US to see us marry there.

Besides, our legal wedding in the US will just be a courthouse one, and nothing much worth celebrating...

Furthermore, his mother can't travel and we wanted her to witness us getting married, as it's important to her.

All-in-all, this process suits our respective family situations the best.

I see that many people get visas refused because of confusion over the 'married-ness' of some cultural pre-wedding type celebrations.

As such, I will not take any photos to or mention the ceremony in my visa interview, whenever that occurs.

I've also locked down Facebook to ensure no-one can add any photos of us, and will generally keep ourselves offline until I have the visa in my hand.

Does anyone from a western country have experience taking this route?

Is it less of a problem for our countries because our customs and the legal aspect of marriage are very similar to the system in the US and so consulate employees are more familiar with it?

Any other advice or recommendations?

Thanks for your advice.

If you do it your 129f will not be approved since you are married. People have been denied! It's up to you to risk the petition being denied. You'll need to apply for marriage visa.

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Common Law marriage acts might be relevant here.. Whether it is still in action in your related state

These too genuine for K1 issues only arise though in very heavily cultured cases, such as of Indians where they wear a heavy bridal dress and perform certain customs which make them married, so picture of ceremony clearly declare the event as marriage and so they are denied

It is officially allowed by Visa authorities to have an unconsummated marriage to apply for K1, as in certain cultures as ours, he bride and groom cant as much as talk unless they are married, so a lot of people in my family in states who married back in home submitted the marriage document for K1 (NikkahNama)

Regardless of what people say here, as long as you don't make this legal, and don't provide proof of it then u will be fine

Whether it will be moral or not, IDK

K-1 Case Filed: August 2015

Interview # 1: 3 March 2016 ➡ Results: AP :cry:

Updates: 4 March | 7 March | 8 March | 15 March | 25 March (Mail Update) | 4 April | 8 April (Mail Update) | :clock: CEAC Status: Administrative Processing

Interview # 2: 12 April 2016 ➡ Results: APPROVED :dancing:

Updates: 20 April | 21 April | 23 April | 25 April | 3 May (Mail Update) | 9 May (Mail Update) | 11 May | :girlwerewolf2xn: CEAC Status: Ready

| 17 May | Case Creation date changed and Moved to Non-Immigrant visa | :shocked: CEAC Status: Administrative Processing

:jest::energy: 18 May & Issued :energy::jest:

| 20 May | Fiancee Passport available for Pick up

| Never showed up | Fiancee's Daughter Passport available for Pick up :sleepy:

| 21 May | Passport Picked up :dance:

| 14 June | P.O.E at Atlanta :dancing:

AOS Case Filed: June 2016

Current Status:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

My advice is DONT DO IT! I have seen many times where people have been denied for things that resemble a wedding.

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

You want to start out your relationship with immigration with a grand lie? Please (for your own sake and peace of mind), just don't do it.

This is one of the drawbacks with the K1 (and some choose CR1 because of it) - the wedding needs to take place in the US.

You may have a celebration, but don't do the ceremony - too risky!

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Are you still in the US? If so do the court wedding now, apply for CR1. Go back home and enjoy any celebration you'd like.

No, unfortunately not...

----

The distinction between a wedding and a wedding-party is difficult to make, I think. At least from an outside perspective.

To me, a marriage is a legal agreement, and so (if we do it) it wouldn't be a marriage because it won't be legal.

I.e. the lack of legal status is the very thing that makes it a non-wedding.

In my country, the laws are very clear. A marriage is only a real marriage if it is registered with the Government department for these things.

A de-facto relationship only occurs if you live together in a 'marriage-type relationship' for at least 12 months. This is also not the case because he lives in the US, and I live here.

In light of the above, I would call it a wedding-type party, and not a marriage.

Nevertheless, I understand the points made, and thank you all for your advice.

We will re-assess our situation and see what our other options are.

Edited by dwarfer

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

The distinction between a wedding and a wedding-party is difficult to make, I think. At least from an outside perspective.

That's exactly why the consulates are so strict about it. If it looks anything like a marriage ceremony, you are "too married for a fiancé visa".

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

That's exactly why the consulates are so strict about it. If it looks anything like a marriage ceremony, you are "too married for a fiancé visa".

Yeah, I understand the confusion that could arise...

That's why I was particularly interested to hear from Westerners about whether they'd had problems..

Rightly or wrongly, I assume that our fellow K1-visa people from more corrupt parts of the world are scrutinised more, due to the confusing grey area between traditional customs and legal marriages.

Given the very clear legal distinction in Australia between married and not, and the fact that I can show that I am not legally married, I was hoping that the consulate here might be more chilled out about it.

I mean, I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I know the K1 visa can't be issued if I'm already married. We're applying for the K1 Visa so we can get married in the US...If I wanted to get legally married here, I would do that and apply for a spousal visa. Anyway...c'est la vie. :)

Once again - thanks to everyone for your advice.

In my years on VJ, I've seen Europeans and Canadians denied, at the interview or at the border. Up to you to see if a party is worth the possible trouble.

Thanks for the info. I find anecdotal evidence useful.

-----

For what it's worth, I just read that my state provides "proof of no marriage" letters for periods of 5 years (i.e. from any date chosen, and the preceding 5 years).

In case anyone else is reading this thread in the future, it may be worthwhile checking if your government does the same thing? In case a letter of intent does not suffice for the original I-129f petition.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi all,

My fiance and I have a wedding ceremony planned in my home country which will almost certainly occur before I get a K1 Visa, but after the I-129f paperwork has been submitted.

It will not be a legal wedding - just a ceremony. My country would not recognise this wedding in any way, not even as a de-facto type relationship.

But the Embassy may view this as getting married. This is a very very bad idea. Don't do it. You've been warned.

We're doing it here for various reasons, mostly because I have many more family members than him, and they would not be able to travel to the US to see us marry there.

Too bad. International relationships and immigration to the US require doing things out of the norm. If your family and friends cant' accept this, then.....

Besides, our legal wedding in the US will just be a courthouse one, and nothing much worth celebrating...

Furthermore, his mother can't travel and we wanted her to witness us getting married, as it's important to her.

All-in-all, this process suits our respective family situations the best.

There are other options......like what most folks do, actually you have two normal options:

1. Immigrate to the US, get married, apply for AOS, then return and have another wedding in your country.

2. Get married in your country, then apply for the cR-1 Spousal Visa and immigrate to the US>

I see that many people get visas refused because of confusion over the 'married-ness' of some cultural pre-wedding type celebrations.

Yep, you most likely will be another.

As such, I will not take any photos to or mention the ceremony in my visa interview, whenever that occurs.

What if you are asked about it? Will you lie? and risk permanent ban to the US? Your call.

I've also locked down Facebook to ensure no-one can add any photos of us, and will generally keep ourselves offline until I have the visa in my hand.

USCIS monitors VJ also, so with this thread, you've let the cat out of the bag and the whole world knows about it. Sri, loose lips sink ships.

Does anyone from a western country have experience taking this route?

Is it less of a problem for our countries because our customs and the legal aspect of marriage are very similar to the system in the US and so consulate employees are more familiar with it?

Any other advice or recommendations?

Advice given above. You make your choice and take your chances.

Thanks for your advice.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.