dwarfer

(not legal) wedding ceremony prior to K1 visa interview

49 posts in this topic

Give it some thoughts on the time you'll spend and be apart from your partner:

1) If you host a celebration cum engagement party/unoffical ceremony, you get the chance of getting rejected for K1, you have to marry in your country, file for spouse visa, it will take around I say 6 months - 1 year or even more? Plus you have the record of filing for K1 and denial record due to that reason.

2) If you hold on to the ceremony, wait till K1 approved, which is around 3-4months, then hold an engagement party. Your fiance can also fly back to US with you.

Edited by Roy&Chanel

Removal of Conditions I-751

29 December 2017 - ROC Filing Opening Date (Expiry 29 Mar 2018)

29 December 2017 - I-751 Priority Mail shipped to VSC

2 January 2018 - Package delivered

8 January 2018 - Check cashed in

11 January 2018 - NOA received (DATE of NOA: 3 JAN 2018)

22 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment letter received

30 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment

11 August 2018 - 18 Months extension received (Exp on Sept 2019)

8 April 2019 - I751 Approved

12 April 2019 - NOA and greencard received

Help us all by updating your Timeline and Profile!:D

1. Click on your blue nickname on top right corner, there will be a dropdown menu> My Timeline > Edit/Add My Entry.

2. Click on your blue nickname at top right corner, dropdown menu > Account Settings > Profile > Edit Profile (Black button) > change your Filed for and Location.

3. If you would like to update your signature, click on your blue nickname on top right corner, dropdown menu> Account Settings > Left menu click on Signature.

IMPT: If you change address, DO NOT FORGET TO fill up AR-11 Online,for your USC Spouse, fill up I-865! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Simple solution, wait till you have your K1 approved and visa on hand, then have the wedding ceremony in your home country before leaving to the US. Nothing says you must have your wedding in the US, only that the wedding cannot occur till after the K1 visa is issued.

Nothing? How about immigration laws? I think you do not understand the purpose of a K-1 visa. If you marry before using the K-1 visa, you are no longer eligible to use it to enter the US.

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/family/fiance-k-1.html#2

Under U.S. immigration law, a foreign-citizen fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen is the recipient of an approved Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), Form I-129F, who has been issued a nonimmigrant K-1 visa for travel to the United States in order to marry his or her U.S. citizen fiancé(e). Both the U.S. citizen and the K-1 visa applicant must have been legally free to marry at the time the petition was filed and must have remained so thereafter. The marriage must be legally possible according to laws of the U.S. state in which the marriage will take place.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1184

8 U.S. Code § 1184 - Admission of nonimmigrants

(d) Issuance of visa to fiancée or fiancé of citizen

(1) A visa shall not be issued under the provisions of section 1101(a)(15)(K)(i) of this title until the consular officer has received a petition filed in the United States by the fiancée and fiancé of the applying alien and approved by the Secretary of Homeland Security. The petition shall be in such form and contain such information as the Secretary of Homeland Security shall, by regulation, prescribe. Such information shall include information on any criminal convictions of the petitioner for any specified crime described in paragraph (3)(B) and information on any permanent protection or restraining order issued against the petitioner related to any specified crime described in paragraph (3)(B)(i). It shall be approved only after satisfactory evidence is submitted by the petitioner to establish that the parties have previously met in person within 2 years before the date of filing the petition, have a bona fide intention to marry, and are legally able and actually willing to conclude a valid marriage in the United States within a period of ninety days after the alien’s arrival, except that the Secretary of Homeland Security in his discretion may waive the requirement that the parties have previously met in person. In the event the marriage with the petitioner does not occur within three months after the admission of the said alien and minor children, they shall be required to depart from the United States and upon failure to do so shall be removed in accordance with sections 1229a and 1231 of this title.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

We considered the same thing to include the family in Colombia. We decided against it because it wasn't worth the risk and also we could easily do the same ceremony there after the AOS has been approved without putting you AOS application in jeopardy. Others have been denied the K1 because ceremonies have taken place that were to be only symbolic but later determined to be questionable to deny and to me it was not worth the risk. Different cultures/countries have different traditions for what qualifies as a wedding. After the judge says kiss the bride/groom one can easily interpret that to be the wedding while others may say you are married after you sign a legal document. If the reviewing officer has reason to question if you are already married they are obligated to deny as an inappropriate visa application. Best of luck and congrats in any case.

K1 Visa

12/30/15: Visa Received

AOS

CIS Office : Seattle WA

03/29/16: Date Filed

04/11/16: NOA Date

05/11/16: Bio. Appt.

04/20/16: Case updated to fingerprint fee received

04/20/16: Case updated to Case is ready to be scheduled for interview as of 03-17-16

05/11/16: Bio. Appt.

06/06/16: RFIE Mail / I-864 1040 tax form (missing) resent overnight shipping. Second submission of 1040 form for 2015

08/09/16: Status update to interview scheduled for September 13th

08/17/16: Status updated to interview cancelled

08/18/16: Status updated to interview scheduled for September 20th with corrected receipt number. AKA "D" day

12/01/16: Interview: Verbal Approval

12/06/16: Status update to card has been mailed

EAD

03/29/16: Date Filed :

Case rejected for invalid fee and/or signature (failed to sign both areas - Doh!)

04/18/16: Date refiled

04/19/16: NOA -Case Received

07/20/16: Case updated to card being produced

07/26/16: Card received priority 3 day mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

We considered the same thing to include the family in Colombia. We decided against it because it wasn't worth the risk and also we could easily do the same ceremony there after the AOS has been approved without putting you AOS application in jeopardy. Others have been denied the K1 because ceremonies have taken place that were to be only symbolic but later determined to be questionable to deny and to me it was not worth the risk. Different cultures/countries have different traditions for what qualifies as a wedding. After the judge says kiss the bride/groom one can easily interpret that to be the wedding while others may say you are married after you sign a legal document. If the reviewing officer has reason to question if you are already married they are obligated to deny as an inappropriate visa application. Best of luck and congrats in any case.

I would assume that was a wedding.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.