londongal

No-vacation Nation

82 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not all jobs offer such a bad vacation policy. It usually depends on your skill level, and tenure. I work for a local government agency and receive 12 paid holidays, 18 paid vacation, 4 paid personal, 10 paid undocumented sick and unlimited paid sick time with a physicians letter. For every year you are here you are granted additional vacation time. As far as my field goes that is considered low. However, that would pretty much allow me to take a day off almost every week without an issue. It is just a matter of putting in your time and earning the better leave packages. It is not hopeless though.

44 days is more than I ever got in the UK.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm not complaining, although quite frankly I have the right to if I want to... We all have the right to express our own personal trials and tribulations of moving to the US... That's what this board is for in my opinion. I came on here to enquire about everyone else's thoughts and feelings on the vacation culture in the US and also hoping to gain insight into companies that are more generous/flexible (which has worked as I have now discovered KPMG offer 25 days which matches the UK)

I'm probably going to spend some time browsing Glassdoor and looking into the best companies to work for to find out about their benefits so will update my findings on here soon! :thumbs:

Our Journey :goofy:

5/23/2015 - Met my love in the US of A

9/21/2015 - Sent off i-129f!

9/25/2015 - Received NOA1

10/27/2015 - Received NOA2!!!!! :dancing:

11/11/2015- Package received by NVC

11/12/2015- Got our case number

12/09/2015 - Medical

01/13/2016 - Interview & APPROVED! :) :dance:

5/17/2016 - Flight booked!!! The big move is finally here!

5/21/2016 - We got marrieddddddddd :wub:

Filing for Adjustment of Status

5/27/2016 - Applied for SSN and changed to married name - (still not received)

6/8/2016- Filed AoS (I-765, I -131, I 485)

6/13/2016 - AoS Received

6/25/2016- NoA

9/20/2016 - EAD & Advanced parole card received!

10/2/2016 - Green card received!!!! :star:

Removal of Conditions

9/21/2018 - Filed package to Texas via USPS priority mail

9/24/2018- Package delivered confirmed

10/19/2018 - i-551 stamp at infopass appointment

10/26/2018 - 18 month extension receipt notice received

zzflag017.gif united-states-flag.gif

Filed: Timeline

Can't complain here. Work for the most part 9-5 schedule, and always see the wife/kids after-work with weekends off. It's probably sad saying this, but taking more than one week vacation with two little ones is actually quite a lot of work.

I also donate my leave to employees who are very sick and don't have enough sick/vacation. I do make sure my employees take vacation, so they don't get burned out. Never lived a "European" lifestyle or work environment, so can't compare.

ROFL harpa! Exactly.

Hubs pretty much says it that way too... /snickers.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

First off, where do you get the idea that America is the best country on the planet? According to the UN's latest list, the US is the eight "best country to live in".

Secondly, everyone don't want to live in America. Most of us are only here because we happened to fall in love with an American.

Thirdly, I will NEVER understand those people who only see their country with rosy colored glasses. Every single country on the planet has it's good and bad sides. No country is perfect. Thank God most people in America don't think like you or African-Americans would still not be allowed to sit on the bus and women wouldn't be allowed to vote. We move forward as a country and as a society when we have the strength to question things and when we can have a debate and actually dare to listen to other people's opinions.

God bless America...and no place else

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am given 3 weeks of vacation and I work in IT.

10/05/15 - Sent AOS package (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131)

10/07/15 - Package delivered at Chicago lockbox

10/14/15 - Received NOA1 text notifications

10/19/15 - Received NOA1 hard copies

10/23/15 - Received biometrics appointment letter

11/04/15 - Completed biometrics

11/10/15 - AOS case status changed to "Ready to be scheduled for interview"

12/18/15 - EAD/AP approved

12/26/15 - EAD/AP received

04/01/16 - Interview scheduled

05/04/16 - Interview date

05/09/16 - Received approval letter for I-485 and I-130 (Notice date 05/04/16)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Can't complain here. Work for the most part 9-5 schedule, and always see the wife/kids after-work with weekends off. It's probably sad saying this, but taking more than one week vacation with two little ones is actually quite a lot of work.

I also donate my leave to employees who are very sick and don't have enough sick/vacation. I do make sure my employees take vacation, so they don't get burned out. Never lived a "European" lifestyle or work environment, so can't compare.

This is a good comment, in my opinion, and gets at an issue related to the subject title. Specifically, the number of weeks of vacation isn't the only factor in having a good work/life balance. Two years ago I was on the fast track to death/hell/whatever. 10+ hours of work M-F and another 10 hours of work on the weekends. I went from being an occasional weekend drinker to having 3 drinks a night. Exercise, diet, sleep and relationships all went to hell in my sacrifices to the benefit of my employer. My employer has often been deemed one of the best places to work, off and on now for over 100 years. And yet, the job was literally killing me. Stress levels were through the roof. People I worked with knew it was killing me but were powerless to help me because their jobs/lives were in the same straits.

Long story, short, 1.5 years ago I got off that dreadful carousel. Like Umka36, I now have a 40 hour a week job. I don't work evenings. I don't work weekends. I am almost down to the recommended weight for my height. I run 10-12 miles a week. I sleep great. My diet, in no small part due to the arrival of my wife, is great.

I earn only 2 weeks of vacation per year at the new job. I think it goes up to three weeks in 5 or 8 years - I'd have to look it up. But I really don't care. My life is immeasurably better with the new job, even with the limited vacation.

That said, the over-worked culture in America sucks. People really do deserve more vacation and less hours.

One final thing... Umka36 you sound like a good boss to your employees. I commend your employees-first thinking.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.