Ivy.

Health insurance only for citizens?

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi,

I am a LPR and I'm trying to get insured through my husband's work. Human Resources Dept. said they can/will only insure citizens, not LPR.

Is this something a company can decide to do by themselves? I understand LPRs are entitled to health insurance too and I would prefer being added to my husband's plan than buying my own.

My husband is an LPR and has insurance through work. I wasn;t aware that companies could deny benefits to LPRs. They insured him after the enrollment period because it was a qualifying event. Sounds to me that HR is either lying, they don't know the rules, they are just too lazy to find out..or all of the above

Edited by mimolicious

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

Ivy,

Your husband has the qualifying event, this is just too odd.

What state?

Is the company on the large size? Is there just a one-department HR ?

This is really odd

This is dumb, I'm not even an LPR yet (going through AOS now) and I've been on my wife's insurance (we are a same sex couple by the way) since the day after our wedding. I've been to various doctor's appointment since being here- -dentist, eye doctor and urgent care when I wasn't feeling too well. Having this insurance has been a blessing! I really hope you get this worked out quickly because not being insured is a scary feeling and this is an injustice. Good luck to you, keep fighting this! Don't give up!

I'm the Beneficiarydancin5hr.gif

Sept 7th, 2013 = K1 Visa Application Submitted

Sept 18th, 2013 = NOA 1 via e-mail - Case Accepted and Routed to Texas Service Center

Sept 27th 2013= Received NOA1 hard copy

Oct 5th-12th 2013 = Had an AMAZING week together and now back to waiting...ClockWatch2.gif

February 12th 2014 = Five month mark passed. Service request ordered. They said in 27days we should have an answer.

March 15th 2014 = ALIEN REGISTRATION NUMBER CHANGED! FINALLY! dancin5hr.gif

May 31st-June 11th 2014 -Spent a Beautiful week and a half together and got a huge surprise on the day before she left. :D

June 10th 2014 = PETITION APPROVED!!! Hallelujah! :dance:

August 8th 2014 = Medical. Results: Passed

September 23rd 2014= INTERVIEW: APPROVED! so happy!!!!!!!

September 25-28th 2014 = System Error prevents VISA from being issued. :cry:

September 29th 2014= VISA in hand :dancing:

September30th 2014= Entered the USA :thumbs:
December 22nd 2014=MARRIED :)

March 18th 2015 = Filed AOS

April 3rd 2015 = Received NOA1 hard copies

June 20th 2015 = Received EAD/AP card in mail :)

July 28th 2015 = Received Notice of Potential Interview waiver :mellow:

Feb 29th 2016= FINALLY! RECEIVED MY GREENCARD! :dancing:

January 26th, 2018: Filed I-751 Removal of Conditions 

Feb 2nd 2018: Received NOA1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi, this is strange because I was added to my husband's insurance policy right after our marriage. Im not an LPR. We are in the immigration process yet. The HR didn't say anything negative because of my status. I still live in my home country. But when I visited my husband just few monts ago I went to the doctor and used my insurance.

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I am the LPR. My husband is the citizen. I am insured through my work, and I have him covered under that.

What I'm saying is, your husband's HR dept. is really funny. And not in a good way.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

I was a LPR for 5.5 years before I became a USC, and never had an issue.

The only difference between me then and you now, is that I was a main insuree and you are a defendant.

Unless there is something in the master policy that prevents non-citizen dependents from joinin ( which I seriously doubt) you should be covered.

Regardless, you are eligible based on https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/immigration-status/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think when legally married, then the HR will have to insure you.,.,.,.I am almost sure, but have your hubby, to contact a HR Manager for his

company!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Sounds like they don't know their ### from their elbow. My wife was able to put me on her insurance as soon as we married and before I became an LPR.

Good luck with getting answers from them, sometimes dealing with HR is like wading through treacle!

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I insured my husband 10 days after we were married. He didn't have a social or green card. K1

08/01/12-Married08/17/12-Applied for Social Security Card09/23/12-Husband received his Social Security card!09/27/12-Filed AOS09/28/12-AOS package received10/01/12-Text message from USCIS10/03/12-Check cashed10/09/12-NOA1 for I485,I765,I131 AND Biometrics Appointment Letter10/24/12-Biometrics Appointment12/11/12-EAD and AP Approved-75 days12/14/12-EAD/AP Card Production ordered12/21/12-EAD/AP Card came in the mail06/22/13-Green Card Approved06/27/13-Greed Card Production Ordered06/29/13-Green Card came in the mail<p>

04/09/15-Mailed ROC

04/10/2015-Package received

04/14/2015-Check cashed

06/02/2015-Called Service Center (still no NOA1) Service request found out wrong address on paperwork! :(

06/03/2015-Called to get address updated Ar11 online add change didnt work-got infopass for June 10th

06/10/2015-Went to info pass appt. Hubby got a 1yr. Extension stamp in his passport and biometrics done

08/12/2015-ROC Approved. Got letter in the mail.

08/29/2015-received new card in the mail.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Problem is this couple has been married for a while. It is clear marriage is an event to permit an addition to the insurance outside of open enrollment. What the insurance dept/HR does not seem to understand is that moving to the US/becoming a new immigrant is also a life-changing event. Obviously he couldn't insure while outside of the US since the insurance coverage was not available there. Problem is the HR dept is being ignorant and hiding behind a false reason for denying adding the spouse.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Sounds like you need to speak to a supervisor in your HR department. The first person you talk to rarely knows or can be bothered to look into much.

While it's possible that the plan only covers USCs, (remember, employers pay a large part of the health insurance, so they may be choosy who they cover) it's unlikely. You probably just need to speak to the right person.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

When i came over, my wife i got under my wife's health care without any issue's, Check the policy of the health care provider they make the rules not the company your husband is working for.

Find out who does the insurance for the company. HR doesn't insure you, a separate company does. Then you can look up the rules the insurance company has.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Why didn't you enroll as soon as you got your ssn? That's what I did with my wife, I enrolled her before she even sent in her AOS paperwork. My best guess is that you might have to wait until the enrollment period to sign up.

I am WITHIN my enrolment period. It sounds to me like your wife came on a K-1 visa. I came on an IR-1 visa. It is a different process.

flying.gif 2006 - met online  | 2008 - met IRL  | 2011 - engagement  | 2012 - wedding | 2013 - IR-1 | 2014 - child | 2015 - POE | 2018 - N-400  |  2019 - USC 

Check my About me for the full IR-1 or N-400 timeline.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

So my husband spoke to someone who said they spoke to Humana and Humana told them that as per their agreement, they can not insure me. We have not seen the contract yet. I am trying to get to it. Thanks for the ideas, guys.

flying.gif 2006 - met online  | 2008 - met IRL  | 2011 - engagement  | 2012 - wedding | 2013 - IR-1 | 2014 - child | 2015 - POE | 2018 - N-400  |  2019 - USC 

Check my About me for the full IR-1 or N-400 timeline.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.