sony2001

Can he adjust status

33 posts in this topic

How long has he overstayed for? If less than 6 months, and maybe if less than 12 months, he should leave now to avoid incurring the bar.

Spouse-based AOS from out-of-status H-1B, May - Aug 2012

Removal of conditions, Aug - Nov 2014

Yes, just to be clear since the thread got off to a bad start. He cannot adjust status. His overstay makes him ineligible to adjust status as the child of a LPR, or a child over 18 of a USC (in the future). His path is dead in the water. He should not have overstayed. Game over.

Parents don't work for hardship waivers.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

I believe you can file an I-601 waiver with the qualifying relative being a parent:

http://www.avvo.com/...hardship-waiver

http://www.lyttlelaw...ey-1748067.html

http://geygan.net/i-601-waiver-of-inadmissibility/

although I doubt it would be easy to do so.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Other Timeline

I believe you can file an I-601 waiver with the qualifying relative being a parent:

http://www.avvo.com/...hardship-waiver

http://www.lyttlelaw...ey-1748067.html

http://geygan.net/i-601-waiver-of-inadmissibility/

although I doubt it would be easy to do so.

It's fairly easy to do so. But short of a material fact we are not aware of, he won't get it.

It's really that simple.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

I think I mixed it up with kids. Kids (adult kids) don't count for hardship waivers... Someone doesn't count, anyway.

Anyway, I agree it won't happen.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

He is 23 year old,not married,and he got visitor visa and overstayed

He cannot adjust status based on his F2B (Unmarried Son/Daughter over 21 of LPR) petition. Even if dad naturalized, he doesn't qualify for the waiver as he is already an adult (he's not an immediate relative anymore).

He can only adjust status in the US if he has a USC wife.

Otherwise, he would have to go back to his home country and wait for his priority date to become current. His overstay in the US will cause issues depending on how long he overstayed.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He cannot adjust status based on his F2B (Unmarried Son/Daughter over 21 of LPR) petition. Even if dad naturalized, he doesn't qualify for the waiver as he is already an adult (he's not an immediate relative anymore).

He can only adjust status in the US if he has a USC wife.

Otherwise, he would have to go back to his home country and wait for his priority date to become current. His overstay in the US will cause issues depending on how long he overstayed.

I have had posts deleted for mentioning Muscle wife. Lets see what happens.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Macedonia
Timeline

Thanks to all your help guys,looks like he must marry his girlfriend who's dating for almost 3 years,because he overstayed more than a year,and he would trigger a 10 year bar if he return in home country,hid dad just got a LPR

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Thanks to all your help guys,looks like he must marry his girlfriend who's dating for almost 3 years,because he overstayed more than a year,and he would trigger a 10 year bar if he return in home country,hid dad just got a LPR

marrying just to gain immigration benefits and remain in the country is not advised, If he tries this and is denied there is a lifetime ban with no chance of appeal.

Edited by mimolicious

If he gets married just for a GC he'll be deported and banned for life.

Horrible advice.

Edited by Kathryn41
to remove quote violating TOS

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If he gets married just for a GC he'll be deported and banned for life.

Horrible advice.

He should only get married if he loves the girl and there's a real relationship in which case the marriage will be in good faith. Thus, he can get a gc because he can prove he has a real relationship. If he does it just to get a gc, he'd be committing fraud and will face the consequences if caught.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

One post advocating Immigration Fraud has been removed and one post quoting same has been edited to remove the quote. It is a violation of the terms of service for Visa Journey to advise or encourage anyone to commit immigration fraud.

For clarification purposes, listing a legal option in a generic manner is not the same as advising someone to take a specific course of action and such a post may not cross over the lines of a TOS violation. Recommending or suggesting someone pursues a specific fraudulent action is a TOS violation and will be treated as such.

Any further discussion of illegal immigration activities or recommendations will cause this thread to be closed and removed.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.