apple21

Parents applying for a B2/Tourist Visa - APPROVED!

52 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is a sample questionnaire that I found here on VJ. Credits to the creator, I forgot her username. 

I filled out the questions and sent it to my parents for them to memorize.  This is really a helpful guide.

3BD3E322-4B3D-4294-AE6E-EAA555198E7E.jpeg

Edited by apple21

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Congratulations! Most of those questions are basically the same questions my mom was asked when she wad her tourist visa interview a few years ago. 

Timeline
59 minutes ago, Sunnyland said:

Congratulations! Most of those questions are basically the same questions my mom was asked when she wad her tourist visa interview a few years ago. 

Thanks. 😊

2 hours ago, apple21 said:

Questions asked by American consul:
    1.  Where are you traveling? We will travel to Los Angeles, California. 
    2.  What’s the purpose of your visit? We will visit our daughter Apple21. 
    3.  Is your daughter married? Yes. 
    4.  How long has your daughter been in the US? She’s been in the US for 4 years already. 
    5.  What’s your middle name for your single status? (This pertains to my mom’s maiden name.)
    6.  What’s the status of your daughter? She is a Lawful Permanent Resident. 
    7.  What’s your occupation? I am retired now but previously I was a public school teacher (and my dad was an insurance underwriter). 
    8.  How long will you stay in the US? We will stay there for 2 weeks only.

My parents are both 71 years old. 

They were interviewed together (US Embassy Manila, Philippines). 

No additional documents needed at the embassy. 

They just brought their passports and DS160 confirmation sheets. 

On the DS160 question on WHO WILL SPONSOR YOUR TRIP, they wrote my brother’s name who is also traveling with them. He has a high paying job in the Philippines. He already has a valid B2 visa and he’s the one paying for the airline tickets. They didn’t include my name anymore coz my brother is really the one with the moolah! Lol.

Tips:

Be consistent. Whatever you wrote on the DS160 that should also be your answer during the interview. 

Be relaxed as much as possible. 

Be polite.

Be presentable. Wear atleast smart casual as if you’re going to a job interview (yes even for parents!)

Don’t stress/bother about additional docs like invitation letters or bank statements/affidavit of support/land or car titles....THEY ARE NOT NEEDED. THEY ARE NOT REQUIRED. 

Good luck! I hope you get approved as well! 😊

wow!! Thank you for sharing! I was working on getting my mom get her passport but her credentials are no way close to your parents.

Timeline
1 minute ago, POA said:

wow!! Thank you for sharing! I was working on getting my mom get her passport but her credentials are no way close to your parents.

Hi POA. What do you mean? My parents are both retired now. It’s my brother who’s paying for their trip. 

3 hours ago, apple21 said:

Hi POA. What do you mean? My parents are both retired now. It’s my brother who’s paying for their trip. 

Well, my mom is still in her 50's makes me feel like since she didn't have a job history, it could be taken against her by not having a good life in the PH. But we'll see though. :)

Timeline
16 hours ago, POA said:

Well, my mom is still in her 50's makes me feel like since she didn't have a job history, it could be taken against her by not having a good life in the PH. But we'll see though. :)

I see. Is she taking care of your siblings/her kids?

5 minutes ago, apple21 said:

I see. Is she taking care of your siblings/her kids?

Yes, two of them and the grandkid lol. Very typical pinoy situation hahaha. She doesn't work but she has pension and allowance from me and my other sister. My other sibling is still in college. 

Edited by POA

Timeline
3 minutes ago, POA said:

Yes, two of them and the grandkid lol. Very typical pinoy situation hahaha. She doesn't work but she has pension and allowance from me and my other sister.

That’s a handful. I was a homemaker too back in the Philippines and OMG it’s enough to drive you cray cray! 😆

I wish your mom all the best. Keep us posted too. The more diverse experience, the better. 👍🏼

1 minute ago, apple21 said:

That’s a handful. I was a homemaker too back in the Philippines and OMG it’s enough to drive you cray cray! 😆

I wish your mom all the best. Keep us posted too. The more diverse experience, the better. 👍🏼

Lol tell me about it haha. She's always in distressed when I talk to her. Thank you! First, she needs to get a passport lol.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Wow! thanks for the inspiration!  My wife and I are looking at getting her mother a tourist visa so that she can visit us and her granddaughter this summer.  My MIL has a house and a good job as well as all of her friends, so hopefully that's enough to convince the CO.  How long was your wait between filling out and the interview?  Thanks!

Mike & Tuyen

First Meeting

Second Meeting

Engaged

I-129F Sent :

I-129F NOA1 :

I-129F NOA2 :                              

NVC # Received

Interview Date   

Interview Result

Visa in Hand 

POE SFO                        

Married!!!!!!!

AOS/EAP/AP Mailed

AOS/EAP/AP NOA1

Biometrics Portland

Interview Portland

2016-09-30TuyenMike.jpg.07bbb29ef41b057de949396e27a8063c.jpg

2017-02-14

2017-02-18

2017-04-17

2017-04-24

2017-09-18

2017-09-30

2017-10-20

APPROVED!!!!!

2017-10-28

2017-11-14

2017-12-04

2018-02-02

2018-02-17

2018-03-14

2018-05-10

42 minutes ago, Mike & Tuyen said:

Wow! thanks for the inspiration!  My wife and I are looking at getting her mother a tourist visa so that she can visit us and her granddaughter this summer.  My MIL has a house and a good job as well as all of her friends, so hopefully that's enough to convince the CO.  How long was your wait between filling out and the interview?  Thanks!

It’s just a tourist visa, it’s not usually a big wait but depends on embassy/consulate. It will take longer to get an appointment at busier consulates. Usually around a couple of weeks average.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Mike & Tuyen said:

Hi. They filled out the DS160 and made the appointment on March 23rd. The earliest available was April 20th so that’s what my brother took. They already received their visas yesterday April 24th. They got 10yr multiple entry visas. 

Apply 3 months prior to your intended travel date was the advise of the embassy. Appointment availability varies depending on the embassy’s work load. 

Good luck to your mother in law!

1 hour ago, Mike & Tuyen said:

How long was your wait between filling out and the interview?  Thanks!

You can actually check availability /wait times at the consuiate you’ll use here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas.html

at my old consuiate it’s just a 2 day wait!! So totally dependent on local circumstances.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.