san diego

coming to US VWP/B1/B2 with intent to marry

should USCIS close this loophole?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should USCIS stop adjusting status based on marriage for VWP/B1?B2 visa holders

• Should completely remove possibility of AOS
    • Case by Case basis
    • Should stay the way it is

77 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

NO it's a courtesy to the American Citizen to have their spouse with them, that is why it is an option.

Then how come it wouldn't be legal for my husband and I to go tomorrow to America and AOS?

Yeah, ummm, exactly....and there are some real problems with us being stuck in Denmark, mainly my mental health and my daughter's. I need my husband by my side as my caregiver right now so....

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Then how come it wouldn't be legal for my husband and I to go tomorrow to America and AOS?

Yeah, ummm, exactly....and there are some real problems with us being stuck in Denmark, mainly my mental health and my daughter's. I need my husband by my side as my caregiver right now so....

Because you're already married.

My Immigration Progress

12/12/12 - Forms Sent (i-130, i-485, i-765, i-131, i-864)

12/13/12 - USCIS Received

12/18/12 - NOA's Received

12/24/12 - Biometrics Appointment Received.

01/03/13 - RFE Received (I-485)

01/08/13 - Biometrics Appointment, Atlanta, GA (27 days)

01/15/13 - EAD Approved (34 days)

01/15/13 - AP Approved (34 days)

01/15/13 - Interview ready for Scheduling

01/18/13 - EAD in Production

01/24/13 - EAD Card Received (Serves as Advance Parole) (43 Days)

01/25/13 - Applied for Social Security Number

01/31/13 - Social Security Number Received

02/25/13 - AOS Interview Scheduled for 03/27/13

03/27/13 - AOS Interview, Atlanta, GA - Approved on the spot! (105 days)

03/27/13 - Green Card ordered for production

04/04/13 - Green Card Received (113 Days)

Timeline

Because you're already married.

That is incorrect as people AOS who were married before coming over.

3/26/18 Biometrics

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I like this idea because if the tourist visa cannot be "converted" to another visa that means there will be a higher chance of approval for those who TRULY want to just visit and go back. I know a number of people who just want to visit this country and go back but because getting a B2 is almost impossible, they are forced to use another visa route.

Great point!

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Sept 11, 2011 NOA2-took 19 days to get case number

Sept 30, 2011 NVC number and IIN received Friday-gotta wait till Monday

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

Nov 30, 2011 Notified of Interview date

January 19, 2012 Interview- 240 days from NOA1

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

Filed: Timeline

You are defensive because the truth hurts you. Not me. Lol

I have nothing to defend or feel guilty about. Only criminals have to defend their actions

There is nothing criminal in adjusting status. If there was, there wouldn't be a process for it. Your posts have become increasingly hostile and are violating the Terms of Service. Administrative action will follow if this does not stop immediately.

There are far too many judgemental posts and accusations in this thread. It shows a definite lack of education and awareness. If you cannot be civil you will find yourself banned from the thread.

Moving from AOS Process to General Immigration Discussion.

iagree.gif

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

To be fair, it almost happened to me. Before I met "the one" (my current Russian husband), I was dating this Australian man, and thanks to movies like "Green card" and the advice of well meaning but ill-informed family members on both sides, we DID truly believe marriage = automatic green card. It was only when his father, an LPR, told us that was fraud, did we start researching and realized the right way of doing it! Still, I think the loophole should be closed, as it's simply unfair.

My issue is simply this - none of us WANT to be apart from our loved ones so why are people here on visitors visas more special than other couples? AOS is simply not necessary for these couples. Go back to your country and process a fiance/e or spousal visa.

If it really is just about being a courtesy for the USC, then let any spouse of a USC just come here on a VWP or visitor visa and then adjust their status. Why keep those couples apart just because other couples are lucky enough to come from VWP countries, or were able to get visitor visas? It's just not fair to other couples.

Yes I'm sure there are lots of couples who actually plan it. We'll never really know the real figure because no-one will ADMIT immigration fraud.

There are people saying "what if I miss the birth of my child?" well other people DO. Why are you more special? because you were able to get a visitor/student/work visa or come on the VWP? "what if I can't visit?" well other people can't either.

The playing field needs to be leveled. It's legal to "change your mind" of course, I'm not disputing that some people have done it "legally" but it should no longer be legal just to change your mind. Go back to your country and process a visa like everyone else or let everyone else in a relationship with a USC just come visit and AOS.

Well said! :thumbs::yes:

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Timeline

My issue is simply this - none of us WANT to be apart from our loved ones so why are people here on visitors visas more special than other couples? AOS is simply not necessary for these couples. Go back to your country and process a fiance/e or spousal visa.

If it really is just about being a courtesy for the USC, then let any spouse of a USC just come here on a VWP or visitor visa and then adjust their status. Why keep those couples apart just because other couples are lucky enough to come from VWP countries, or were able to get visitor visas? It's just not fair to other couples.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I would kill for us to be able to come over on VWP and adjust status, but because we'd have intent it would be "fraud". I'm wondering why it matters that we have forethought enough to have intent? It almost feels like being punished for being a planner and being responsible. :(

3/26/18 Biometrics

It's just not fair to other couples.

I don't think the immigration process was designed with fairness in mind. If it were, AP would not exist. Nor would there be difficult embassies, like Nigeria or Morocco.

If it were fair, everyone who applied for a visa would have the same chance and expectation of getting a visa in the same time frame as anyone else across the world.

It's just simply not designed that way. The bigger question is - should it be??

Edited by chaine1

USCIS Stage

February 17th, 2012 - NOA1 Email

March 1st, 2012 - NOA2 Email (USC residing abroad)

NVC Stage

March 12th 2012 - Received

March 21st, 2012 - Case Number received

April 20th, 2012 - Case Closed

May 1st, 2012 - Interview scheduled

Embassy

May 29th, 2012 - Interview - Approved!

June 6th, 2012 - Passport with visa delivered

July 29th, 2012 - POE together in Houston

August 6th, 2012 - Social Security Card Received

August 16th, 2012 - Green Card Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.