san diego

coming to US VWP/B1/B2 with intent to marry

should USCIS close this loophole?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should USCIS stop adjusting status based on marriage for VWP/B1?B2 visa holders

• Should completely remove possibility of AOS
    • Case by Case basis
    • Should stay the way it is

77 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Correct me if I'm wrong... But we were advised to do the K1 route instead of adjusting for a B1/B2 (in Argentina we are not part of the VWP anymore and I had my B1/B2 issued many years ago and had been using it) because when you Aos from a tourist visa, even though the chances of everything working out fine are big, you are creating a problem for the family members of the K1 holder. Heard stories (outside of this board) where family members from, in my case, Argentinians, went to get a visitors visa to be able to visit the person on the US and were denied on the simple question "if your family member came and applied for a non immigrant visa and eventually used it to stay (we let them adjust due to marrying to a usc, and as a courtesy to the usc), how can I be sure that you won't be doing the same thing specially now that you have your daughter (or whatever the case may be) in the Country?

This info might be wrong, but just in case, and since we want my parents to be active members in our future children's life here in the US, we went the K1 way. I wouldn't want to jeopardize their chance of getting a B1/B2 visa renewed in their case.

I think you make a really good point. Definitely something for someone facing a similar choice to weigh.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.