san diego

coming to US VWP/B1/B2 with intent to marry

should USCIS close this loophole?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should USCIS stop adjusting status based on marriage for VWP/B1?B2 visa holders

• Should completely remove possibility of AOS
    • Case by Case basis
    • Should stay the way it is

77 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I agree. I cannot imagine going on vacation and leaving all my possessions behind, then deciding to stay at my vacation spot, get married (without all needed docmentation!!).

It is planned 99.9% of the time. People need their documents and paperwork to get married.

It is the POEs job to look through all luggage and make sure birth certificates, previous divorce papers, school transcripts are not in the luggage, and SEND the "vacationer" back home

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Sept 11, 2011 NOA2-took 19 days to get case number

Sept 30, 2011 NVC number and IIN received Friday-gotta wait till Monday

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

Nov 30, 2011 Notified of Interview date

January 19, 2012 Interview- 240 days from NOA1

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

School papers, and divorce decrees are NOT in peoples luggage. This is ridiculous. I bet no one in this forum had any of those things. There is no paperwork needed to get married in the US - just a passport. Most people in this situation are not previously divorced.

At least most of these marriages aren't fraudulent...

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

School papers, and divorce decrees are NOT in peoples luggage. This is ridiculous. I bet no one in this forum had any of those things. There is no paperwork needed to get married in the US - just a passport. Most people in this situation are not previously divorced.

Incorrect. When I moved to Denmark, my luggage had paperwork in it and things I would not want to leave behind.

However, my moving to Denmark under my EU free movement with an intent to immigrate and get married was perfectly legal.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

OMG!!! I have read countless stories of women coming here with their kids on vacation and they suddenly decide to stay and get married.

Those kids NEED documents. Or maybe they just don't go to school?

I go to peoples homes (for a living).... there parents come for a vacation and NEVER leave

I find it hard to believe it was not planned.

Either way they need to occur an overstay ban if they do not go home at the end of their "vacation"

I think it makes the process longer for others because these people file AOS from the states instead of going home and waiting for NOA2 after the I-130 is submitted

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

Incorrect. When I moved to Denmark, my luggage had paperwork in it and things I would not want to leave behind.

However, my moving to Denmark under my EU free movement with an intent to immigrate and get married was perfectly legal.

:wacko: Um.... I am not talking about you or your planned immigration to Denmark. I am talking about people who really were planning on vacationing and then got married and stayed. The idea that all CBP had to do is check their luggage is ridiculous. If they did that they would not find anything in there, because these people really were planning on just visiting. And the proof would be their empty luggage. Most people in this forum ask questions like "eek! I need to get my birth certificate!" because they didn't make this plan and didn't bring it.

I think it makes the process longer for others because these people file AOS from the states instead of going home and waiting for NOA2 after the I-130 is submitted

Nope, It does not. Is there any proof to this? This AOS isn't even at CSC or VSC and these cases would be in immigration anyway if they were filed from abroad.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

:wacko: Um.... I am not talking about you or your planned immigration to Denmark. I am talking about people who really were planning on vacationing and then got married and stayed. The idea that all CBP had to do is check their luggage is ridiculous. If they did that they would not find anything in there, because these people really were planning on just visiting. And the proof would be their empty luggage. Most people in this forum ask questions like "eek! I need to get my birth certificate!" because they didn't make this plan and didn't bring it.

Point was that many of these people planned on staying and inspecting their luggage would weed out those with obvious intentions.

I personally know people who've done it. My parents did it in the 80s (although I'm not sure about the legality of it then).

3/26/18 Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Just because you don't understand how it could happen, doesn't mean it can't happen. The majority of cases I see on VJ are perfectly legit. A lot of people don't research anything visa-related beforehand - they go to see their bf/gf and then get engaged or something and then say "well what now?" A lot of people getting married are also young with no property etc and they are able to leave their possessions behind for a few months - I hear a lot of people saying they don't have the right type of clothes because they weren't planning on staying. A lot of these people have employment that they can leave or work remotely, they are self-employed, something like that.

Furthermore, a lot of these people are long overstays. You can disagree about overstaying (I think it's bad) but this courtesy is extended to the USC spouse. I can understand that you are a USC, minding your own business, and you meet someone in your town and fall in love and want to get married. This person overstayed their visa. It's not your fault that they overstayed and you were able to meet them in your own town. If the gov were on top of it the person would be deported and you wouldn't have met.

Adjusting in-country has no bearing on anyone else's wait times.

So no, it's not a lie. I think if you think more flexibly about the circumstances then it will become clear.

Unfortunately, I don't think this topic will result in anything fruitful, just misplaced anger based on misinformation. Everyone who did K-1 will say "it's not fair!" - we've seen it too often before.

As I said, it is possible.. in 1% cases. The rest is pure abuse.

Point was that many of these people planned on staying and inspecting their luggage would weed out those with obvious intentions.

I personally know people who've done it. My parents did it in the 80s (although I'm not sure about the legality of it then).

You didn't read my reply, did you?

I don't know anyone engaged in fraudulent activity.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

I believe Harsha adjusted status from the USA but I do not know if she/he was here on a visitors visa or fiance.

I am sure all people who adjusted from within the USA are so proud of how they did it....but they will not disclose their true intentions cause they KNOW they are wrong, bad, GUILTY

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

What I recommend to change is if you want to be together, get married in US, go back to your home country and wait for approval of CR1 like anyone else. In case of overstay: this is YOUR responsibility not to overstay visa. If USC decides to marry someone with overstay they have an option to move to another country. Harpa mentions that overstay is not USC fault. What about criminnal history of beneficiary? Or communicable diseases? Or other things that make beneficiary non-admissable?? Should those be forgiven too according to your logic???

Timeline

Nope, It does not. Is there any proof to this? This AOS isn't even at CSC or VSC and these cases would be in immigration anyway if they were filed from abroad.

If we eliminated the adjustment of status for visitors then it would free up workers to work on more I-130s and make them all faster.

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Timeline

You didn't read my reply, did you?

I don't know anyone engaged in fraudulent activity.

And your response wasn't realistic. Most adults can't just get married on a whim while in another country and stay there. I can't tell you how much planning goes into moving to another country. We've been planning since November with regards to housing, cars, employment, and education - and that is with me already owning a truck and a house in America. I planned from May to my move in September to move to Denmark and we had been researching the laws since last January.

3/26/18 Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.