elmcitymaven

Do I have to do this all over again?

239 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I think that's part of the problem. There should be no friendly bickering; if it's offensive then it's offensive and it needs to quit. I know it's difficult not to bicker but I really don't think it serves a purpose. Of course, if you think you can convince the person to change their views then that's different; but to bicker over something that is a clear violation of TOS just prolongs the problem. I would prefer quick reporting of violations and strong enforcement of consequences.

The very nature of this site means we will have people of different cultures, religions, etc. I thought this would be site filled with open minded, tolerant people.

:rofl:

:(

You're probably right.

What I meant by that is when I feel the need to speak up against the 'women are this that and the other' it's not like I'm sitting there expecting them to say 'you know what, you're right'....enlightenment will neever happen. I speak up knowing full well it's going to get into a clusterfluff. But at that point, I'm prepared for it, so I know that going in. But every now and again, someone oughtta say something.

I just ignore those posters, and feel sorry for their poor wives/fiancess who are stuck with them. Karma will come back to bite them someday and they will get what they deserve.

10/26/03 Met in Yahoo chat room
06-2004 Glyn flies to Boston for 2 week holiday with me in White Mountains
06/07/2006- HE PROPOSES!!
12/13/2006- Glyn and Simon the best man fly in for wedding.
December 16,2006- Happiest day of my life
12/25/2006- Best and worst Christmas ever. Glyn flies back to England at 6 pm Christmas Night.
02/19/2007- UK spousal visa approved in NY after only 4 days.
March 2,2007- Reunited in England with Glyn.
01/21/2008-mailed I-130 to USCIS in London
01/24/2008-NOA1
04/13/2008-Panic. RFE received
April 17, 2008-Mailed off again.
April 22, 2008-NOA2 received dated April 21, 2008.
April 26, 2008-Packet 3 received
April 28, 2008-Mailed off DS-230
May06,2008-Packet 3 sent
May 08, 2008-Medical scheduled
May 22,2008-Packet 4 received
June 03,2008-Interview APPROVED!!!!!

June 04, 2008-Visa in hand
June 20, 2008-Shippers come for our things.
June 25, 2008-Flying to the USA
November 15, 2010-Sent off VERY late I-751 along with many prayers.
04/09/2011-10 year GC arrives in mail.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued

04/16/2013-I-130 sent off-----04/19/2013 NOA1

05/15/2013-NOA2

Never received packet 3 although it was mailed to us on May 29th

07/17/2013-Sent off packet 3 after finally getting ALL our documents together

08/19/2013-Medical scheduled (there were earlier appointments but unfortunately, we couldn't get there for them due to hubby's work)

09/24/2013-Interview APPROVED

11/01/2013-POE BOSTON

01/13/2014-10 Year green card received

03/09/2019- Sent I-130 to Chicago lock box for step-son

03/20/2019- NOA 1

08/10/2019-NOA 2

Filed: Other Country: Denmark
Timeline

I just ignore those posters, and feel sorry for their poor wives/fiancess who are stuck with them. Karma will come back to bite them someday and they will get what they deserve.

When is it going to be my turn to drive the Karma bus? I've got some stops I'd like to make!

03/26/09 : NOA1

09/23/09 : NOA2

11/13/09 : APPROVED and visa in hand!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

tis time to practice using the report button. click it, practice a bit, get comfy in using it.

later on, when next you read an offending post, you won't feel so scared to use it.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

You're probably right.

What I meant by that is when I feel the need to speak up against the 'women are this that and the other' it's not like I'm sitting there expecting them to say 'you know what, you're right'....enlightenment will neever happen. I speak up knowing full well it's going to get into a clusterfluff. But at that point, I'm prepared for it, so I know that going in. But every now and again, someone oughtta say something.

I really agree with you a lot. I don't believe in ignoring the problem. In my mind, ignoring the things that are said is the same as accepting them. And there are some things that are just not acceptable.

There just really needs to be more common sense applied to following the TOS. In a site like this, some things are just not acceptable. Maybe Darnell is right; we need heavy moderating here.

Problem is, most of the folks hitting the report button are the biggest offenders themselves.

Quite right. I tend to be of the belief that overusing the report button just makes you a pain in the hindquarters to the mods, and frankly if I hit the report button as often as I feel it is merited, I probably would do nothing else on VJ. Furthermore, hitting the report button doesn't magically make posts go away -- I think we all have seen instances where posts were blatantly against TOS and yet remained. I choose it judiciously, and generally when the attack has been personal and not generic unless particularly egregious.

The report button is only a panacaea -- I would prefer the cause, not the symptoms, of this disease be treated.

To some extent I think fine, let them have at it with their offensive language in their "special place," but the reality is that this is bleeding into OT and P&R. I saw a post in P&R just yesterday that was rehashing some of the same disgusting stereotypes. The same protestations that American women are fat, useless, ugly, desperate, jealous and disgusting. It needs to stop. I'm glad to see that Krikit has said some discussion is ongoing in this matter. It is important to quite a few people here, and not just me.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

in all my years on VJ I have only reported one or two things... like was already mentioned if you report things too much you won't be taken seriously...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Post not pertaining to the topic has been removed.

I do agree that this is a problem and we are working behind the scenes to do something about it.

The post did actually, as this topic is broached so often yet never really addressed that it makes you want to....you know....

By the way to remove a post it must violate the TOS correct?

Edited by Sousuke

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Anyway, you can tell that the TOS was not meant for enforcement but instead just a legal disclaimer to keep this site from litigation.

The language in it is far too vague to be any use as a rule book on forum behavior.

For instance:

"Publish, Post, upload, distribute or disseminate or offer to do the same any inappropriate, defamatory, infringing, obscene, or unlawful material, information, or in general, Content."

That's broad in order to cover legal matters but totally useless in a moderators sense. Any post could be labeled "inappropriate" for instance.

My guess is that my previous post might have been labeled in this manner but who's to say? Every post in this thread could be labeled as such for questioning site conduct.

"Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Forums."

Here is another gem that is so vague it could be applied to anyone on the whim of the moderator. If I post a photo of a cat, cat haters could argue that it inhibits their use of the forum.

"Make comments in a Post either direct or implied toward another member that are purposely designed to upset, antagonize, make fun of, belittle, or otherwise instigate an argument that takes away from the personal enjoyment of the Service by other users."

This lovely line basically says the politics thread is against the TOS, as the point of posting there is to instigate political arguments and debate.

Edited by Sousuke

The only way it will be changed is for Ewok and the mods to make it go away, period. Any post hinting at it should be deleted and the member (at minimum) warned.

It will require interaction from the rest of us (via the report button) as we cannot expect them to see every post and handle it. But until a firm line is drawn in the sand by Ewok (possibly via an email to the entire membership to drive it home), it's a moot point.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
When is it going to be my turn to drive the Karma bus?
"My karma ran over your dogma," si man (or, squish man).

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: Andorra
Timeline

One of the lessons I LEARNED was that you get MORE ACTION by reporting the posts, rather than actually playing along with that other member. YMMV, greatly, however.

What is the point when you have moderators like Brad who show contempt for those who do bother to report TOS violations?

Indy.gif