Captain Ewok

General K1 Guides and Info

236 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

K-1 Visa Holder Starter Kit

compiled by LisaD

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ENGAGEMENT! You must be so excited! Man, there is so much for you to digest...plan on reading a great deal! No, getting married to a foreign national is not like the movie 'Green Card'. You are gonna be shocked!

Do yourself a favor and read the GUIDES <---click here! as well as understanding what a K-1 Visa actually is.

Read the FAQs <----click here!

And if you have a specific question that you're unsure of...hit up the Forum Search <---click here!. Most times, your question has been asked and answered countless times over.

Please refer to these tools that the admin CAPTAIN EWOK has provided. And many members have worked very hard to write all this info.........

And one more thing....BREATHE!!! Yes it seems like a lot of ####### and red tape to go through, but there are countless couples who have gone through this and who have lived to tell the tale.

oh, and no, you cannot file for a K-1 and get married while you're waiting. <---CLICK HERE!

Useful links along your K1 Visa Journey:

compiled by Sheriff Uling

[CLICK HERE] - Department of State (DOS) Nonimmigrant Visa Information (Overview of the K1 Process)

[CLICK HERE] - USCIS FAQ for Fiance(e) (2pg PDF File)

[CLICK HERE] - 5 Stages of the K1 Visa Process "Simplified and Theoretical" (according to Sheriff Uling)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ's K1 Visa Guide & Information (Detailed Steps for Filing)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ's K1 Visa Flowchart (General Overview)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ's K1 Visa Tips (Tips on Forms and Documents)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ's Acronym and Form Definition page (Great for New Members)

[CLICK HERE] - Manila Embassy K1 Visa Guide (Specific to the Philippines)

Make sure you also check out the Example Forms Section. This section has many example forms, for a general case, that you can use as reference.

Here is the official USCIS FAQ for Fiance(e) Visa's: http://www.uscis.gov.../article/A2.pdf. Once you file you will have several options available to track your case.

Helpful Notes for K1 Applicants (If you have a suggestion that you think should be added please PM me):

Note #1 (suggested by member: Mew):

Note #2 (suggested by member: sukie175 and pax):

Note #3:

Note #4:

Note #5:

Note #6:

I am so confused surrounding the "packages" do you know where I can find specific information to what each "package" entails please?

event.png

Tuana and Kemal's Visa Journey

2010.07.10 We met

2010.10.28 First visit to meet in person

2010.10.31 We became engaged

2011.01.12 Second Visit with my Husband

2011.04.18 Third Visit with my Husband

2011.08.19 Married in Gaziantep Turkey, 4th Visit

2011.10.21 Visited with my Husband, 5th Visit

2011.11.22 SENT IN I-130 Application

2011.12.01 NOA1 Received

2012.02.16 Visited my Husband, 6th Visit

2012.05.08 NOA2 Received

2012.05.21 NVC Received

2012.07.02 Per NVC documents approved, waiting on interview date to be scheduled

2012.08.10 Visited my husband in Turkey, 7th Visit

2012.12.04 Visa Approved

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just want to thank all the people for positing here, and sharing knowledge and just as importantly, the idea that one must be patient and careful. My fiance and I have just filed our I-129f and it's hard to think about all the time it might take, but it's very encouraging to know there are many good people who have been though this before and we won't be all alone in the experience.

All best!

MJ

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

There are many considerations to be taken into account when choosing which visa is the right one for you. Based on the fact that you do not intend to get married til 2012, I would say you should apply for a K1 fiance visa. As far as your fiance's military allowance, it should work as long as it is above the poverty guidelines (for which I would need more information) and if it is not, then he can use a co-sponsor to supplement his income and show that him and his co-sponsor will be able to support you once you move to the United States. Good luck!

Hello everybody,

I'm from Brazil and my boyfriend is from the US. We are planning to marry in a about a year from now, I don't how long all the proccess takes and which type of visa is better and easier in our case.

Once we intend to be together next year I realized we better rush on the procedures. It's too hard to be apart and wait for this 'right moment' to apply. My tourist visa was denied last year, so everytime we need to meet, he has to come or I have to go somewhere else. ;(

I'm concerned about the fact that he doesn't work, he served on the Military of the US and since he left, he has a "allowance" from the Military and as he study full time he can't work. Is that a problem? What are the chances of the visa get denied?

Which one of the visas are easiest and more indicated in my case?

Thank you very much you all. =)

• 2 months later...
Filed: Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi all,

First time here. I haev a question. I'm italian, my fiance is american. She filed the K1 and the petition was approved. She called the NVC and they already assigned the case number. Now Im waiting to receive my package 3 from Naples and plan the interview. I would like to go and visit her at the end of October.

I called the very expensive number in Naples and I was told that I can't go to the states while the fiancee visa is not issued. If I want to go I have to ask for B1 or B2 but it takes time and it might be refused.

So my question is: can I go to the states as visitor (just with my passport as I've been doing up to now) before the fiancee visa is issued? And 2nd question, if the fiancee visa is issued, can I still enter the states as visitor and go there later time using the fiancee visa?

Thanks for your help and best regards,

Luca.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

OMG!!! I sent in our photos but our names were not in the back of the photos, just date and location but i haven't heard anything back from them yet regarding no names on our photos.

The last time they touched my file was back in June when I first sent in my application. Does anyone know how long do we have to wait until we hear something back from the USCIS?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi i hope i can get a swift response from readers here.we filled for a K1 fiance visa sometime last year got our approval and date for interview at the lagos embassy on the 25th of August 2011, after going through my documents and asking few questions the ECO officer said he isnt satisfied i am genuinely going to Marry my Fiance and said our case file will be sent to the Home Land security for review or possible revocation: his reasons, he said for immigration purposes only.we are at cross roads now on what to do, heard its a norm at the US Lagos embassy for K1 visa applicants.can anyone please advice us on the neccessary steps to take when the file is sent back to USICS from the embassy on review and possible revocation asap.thanks.Mr Davies.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Hello! This is my first time here and I am about to start the fiance visa process. Thank you so much for the information as it is of great help! I look forward to going through this process with everyone else!

OMG!!! I sent in our photos but our names were not in the back of the photos, just date and location but i haven't heard anything back from them yet regarding no names on our photos.

The last time they touched my file was back in June when I first sent in my application. Does anyone know how long do we have to wait until we hear something back from the USCIS?

You will likely wait around 5 months for approval.

Filed: Timeline

On uscis.gov, it says if I am a USA citizen wanting to bring my fiance to USA , there are only 2 forms it says I have to fill out. The I-129F and the g-1145( E-Notification Form). It does not say that any other forms are necessary. However , I am seeing other people and Visa Journey recommending using form G-325A and all kinds of other letters, info and pictures that I can not find in any Government Intructions. Where is the reference to using all these other forms and procedures? Fiancé Letter of Intent? I see this no where. Or is is this just a recommended procedure? I ask this because I have a co worker who brought his fiancee to the USA and to marry and he did not fill out any of this other information that your recommending in your checklist. He is looking at me in disbelief when I am telling him about all this big package presentation.

Don't mean to rock the boat here,this is a great site. Just trying to understand better.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

On uscis.gov, it says if I am a USA citizen wanting to bring my fiance to USA , there are only 2 forms it says I have to fill out. The I-129F and the g-1145( E-Notification Form). It does not say that any other forms are necessary. However , I am seeing other people and Visa Journey recommending using form G-325A and all kinds of other letters, info and pictures that I can not find in any Government Intructions. Where is the reference to using all these other forms and procedures? Fiancé Letter of Intent? I see this no where. Or is is this just a recommended procedure? I ask this because I have a co worker who brought his fiancee to the USA and to marry and he did not fill out any of this other information that your recommending in your checklist. He is looking at me in disbelief when I am telling him about all this big package presentation.

Don't mean to rock the boat here,this is a great site. Just trying to understand better.

Hi,

Just to give you a quick answer, the letter of intent is mentionned in the instructions for filling I-129F, together with all the other stuff you hear about here (proof of having met in person...)

I have a small question here about translation of documents : I read the requirements on USCIS website and they say the translator should sign a statement saying he is competent and blabla, but I don't see anywhere that the translator has to be approved or anything. Does that mean I can translate some documents myself ? I could as well do it, and it would be faster and cheaper !

Has anyone tried ?

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
03/27/12: interview at Paris embassy - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I was wondering if my fiance need to sign the G325A form and the letter of intent before I can send out the 129f package? please advise.

Thanks!

I don't know that the instructions specifically ask for an original signature but I have read posts where an RFE has been sent requesting an original signature. I read somewhere it is dependent on the adjudicator and it is therefore better to send an original signature and also on the Letter of Intent. It is also better to either sign in blue ink or with a pen that makes an impression and does not look like like a photocopy, because you have no way of knowing who is going to be dealing with your petition and how 'picky' or informed they are.

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

hey.

people should know that your case can be in "Administrative Process" My fiance who had her interview at U.S Embassy in London UK on June 16 2011 is in "Aadministrative Process". This really really sucks. Imagine having to wait again after you interview date. I hope no one goes thru this crazy time. O by the way we are both muslims. I hope it isnt the reason why. Good Luck to everyone. God Bless You!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Help. I received my NOA1 Oct. 11, 2011 with my receit number but when I call the USCIS number they do not recognize it for an update?

08/25/2012- Married

09/14/2012 - Mailed AOS package (I-130,I-485,I-765) via USPS Express Mail.

09/17/2012 - Package delivered by USPS.

09/18/2012 - text notification receivefor 765/131 but not 485.

09/22/2012 - NOAs for I-130/ I-765 received in the mail.(not for I-485)

09/27/2012 - Biometrics appt scheduled for 10/04/2012.Had case number for I-485.

09/29/2012- duplicate letter for Biometrics appt.received.

10/10/2012 – Biometrics completed..

11/19/2012 - Case status checked and showed EAD/AP approved/production. No text or letter received.

11/27/2012 - EAD/AP combo card received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi All,

I am from INDIA and our NOA-2 is approved. My concern is that my fiancee is here in India with me for a vacation and her Mom received NOA2 in mail in United States.

Please guide us for the process coming ahead and is it possible that my fiancee communicate with Visa Center from India and send them whatever required by them from here or she have to go back in United States to send them a reply and other documents. We are very much confused about everything and the whole process coming ahead. one place it says that she can file I-134 or I-864 for sponsoring me. She doesn't make enough money to sponsor so her sister is agreed to be a joint sponsor. Which form she has to file? Is there any kind of Notarization required of documents and if yes then do they accept Indian Notarization...Please Help...We are very confused.....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.