16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi. My husband is broke at the moment and cannot afford the 1010 for the aos filing fee. His lawyer mis-represented the timeline information which leads us to this situation.

Anyway what are our options, and i mean all options. I think we can apply for an extension but i want to know the other options. BTW the 90 days ends in 2 days. Also if I happen to stay over the 90 days what exactly will happen?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

As long as you married within the 90 days you are safe. There is no set time frame to file for AOS however it is recommended that you file as soon as possible. The sooner you file the sooner you can get authorized to work and travel if needed. Also if you follow the guides here on VJ you can file the AOS on your own, it will save you some money.

01/2006 - Filed k1(1st time)

04/2006 - Interview (1st time) denied

Waited, waited...... no review

06/2009 - Filed k1 (2nd time)

09/2009 - NOA 2 approved

12/2009 - Interview (2nd time) APPROVED! VISA ISSUED

02/2010 - Arrived USA

04/2010 - Married

AOS Timeline

4/19/2010-Sent to Chicago Lockbox

4/26/2010-Received texts and emails 7th day

4/30/2010-Received NOA's(Hardcopies) 11th day

5/3/2010-Received ASC appointment notice(mailed 4/29/2010)14th day

5/7/2010-Walk-in Biometrics done(2 weeks earlier)18th day

5/13/2010-Case transferred to CSC

6/2/2010- Case received/resumed at CSC

6/18,6/22,6/23 AOS touches

6/28/2010- EAD production and touch on AP

6/29/2010-AOS APPROVED

7/2/2010- 2nd update on EAD production and touched on AP....

7/6/2010- Received "Welcome Letter" and AP document

7/12/2010-Received GREEN CARD and EAD

greencard.jpg

oh boy... :(

I assume you came here under the visa waiver program as you mention the 90 days are up soon? If so, you may have a big problem once the time is up.

If you read other posts here in the forum you may have already seen that starting earlier this year USCIS is denying AOS for tourist to immigrant AOS.

At that point I also read that people got the recommendation to go the K1 visa route which means that you unfortunately would have to leave the country

but that way will have a chance to get your legal status even faster then waiting within the US, possibly getting denied.

Let us know more details about your status here, history so we can give more help and thoughts.

Nonetheless, I wish you good luck on your immigration journey!! :)

M.

10/13/2010 - Mailed in The Package (AOS, I-765, I-130)

10/17/2010 - USPS confirms delivery to USCIS

10/25/2010 - Check cashed

10/26/2010 - All applications been worked on aka touched

10/28/2010 - NOA1 Receipts for applications received

11/24/2010 - Received appointment for biometrics in the mail for 12/17 *yay*

12/17/2010 - 9.25 a.m. - 9.45 a.m. Biometrics done !!

12/23/2010 - EAD Approved and Card on its way - Email notification received *yay*

01/03/2011 - WOOOHOOO ...EAD Card in Hand!

01/04/2011 - Oh boy....Received Interview Letter today - February 3rd is the day! :)

02/03/2011 - Interview scheduled 12:45 p.m. - out of there before 1:30 p.m. - further review

Coming home, checking for touches at 5:30 p.m. - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED !!!!

Thank you All on Visajourney for your inputs, experiences and thoughts!!!

02/09/2011 - Yup another e-mail saying that my card production was ordered.

02/10/2011 - E-mail notification "Approval letter was sent today"

02/14/2011 - Welcome Letter / Approval NOA and Card (separate envelope) received!!! :D

Late November 2012 (have to look up my receipts ;) - mailed in ROC I-751

12/12/2012 - NOA 1, status extension received

12/18/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter received

01/08/2013 - Biometrics done

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Just realized that you have no time line so not too sure what visa you came here on but if you came by a K1 then you're safe if you got married within the 90 days. :time:

01/2006 - Filed k1(1st time)

04/2006 - Interview (1st time) denied

Waited, waited...... no review

06/2009 - Filed k1 (2nd time)

09/2009 - NOA 2 approved

12/2009 - Interview (2nd time) APPROVED! VISA ISSUED

02/2010 - Arrived USA

04/2010 - Married

AOS Timeline

4/19/2010-Sent to Chicago Lockbox

4/26/2010-Received texts and emails 7th day

4/30/2010-Received NOA's(Hardcopies) 11th day

5/3/2010-Received ASC appointment notice(mailed 4/29/2010)14th day

5/7/2010-Walk-in Biometrics done(2 weeks earlier)18th day

5/13/2010-Case transferred to CSC

6/2/2010- Case received/resumed at CSC

6/18,6/22,6/23 AOS touches

6/28/2010- EAD production and touch on AP

6/29/2010-AOS APPROVED

7/2/2010- 2nd update on EAD production and touched on AP....

7/6/2010- Received "Welcome Letter" and AP document

7/12/2010-Received GREEN CARD and EAD

greencard.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The OP has no timeline, and doesn't specify the type of visa.

If the beneficiary entered by virtue of a K-1 visa, and married the petitioner within the 90 days, there's no specific deadline for filing for AOS. However, until AOS is applied for, the beneficiary is out of status (with an expired I-94) and should NOT venture anywhere within a 100-mile radius of either national border. Furthermore, the beneficiary should realize that CBP/ICE agents (and any state or local police agency that's affiliated with the 287g or "Secure Communities" program) will have zero sense of humor if the beneficiary crosses trails with them.

Beg or borrow the AOS/EAD/AP filing fee as a high priority, and file for it yourselves with use of the information in the Guides here.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Once the 90 days are up, you are basically "out of status". If you stay under the radar you will be fine. But if you would happen to come in contact with a law enforcement officer for whatever reason and they asked you to produce your ID, you could be in a sticky situation pretty quickly.

Do you have a credit card? You can take out a cash advance or get money deposited to your bank account (as a balance transfer with a low interest rate). You can try to borrow the money. Banks offer personal loans that have relatively low interest rates (7-8%).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Hi. My husband is broke at the moment and cannot afford the 1010 for the aos filing fee. His lawyer mis-represented the timeline information which leads us to this situation.

Anyway what are our options, and i mean all options. I think we can apply for an extension but i want to know the other options. BTW the 90 days ends in 2 days. Also if I happen to stay over the 90 days what exactly will happen?

what visa did you enter on? The Philippine isn't a VWP country so it can't be that, unless your flag is incorrect. :time:

**Edit - According to your previous topics you arrived on a K1. You had 90 days to get married. There is no deadline to file AOS but you are out-of-status and CAN be detained by immigration officials if caught.

He should borrow the money from a friend/family member.. filing your AOS is VERY important. If he is broke is he able to support you via the I-864 or will he need a co-sponsor? At least once you have the GC you are able to work and start earning money for the family.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You won't be in trouble if you wait.

If money is tight the biggest negative thing is you not having the EAD so you can't be out there looking for work as well.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

I'd wait while we saved up the money and they file on my own without the lawyer. Every answer to ever question on the forms that the lawyer has done for you so far, he's gotten from you or your husband. :whistle:

Mostly for my own curiosity, how much did the lawyer charge your husband above and beyond the I-129F and other fees charged by the government? :blush: I'm almost willing to guess that his "fee" would have more then covered

11/15/10: I-130 package FEDEX'd to Chicago Lockbox

11/15/10: NSO Marriage and Birth Certificates available for pick-up at NSO

11/17/10: Receipt Date of I-130 petition at Chicago Lockbox

11/19/10: NSO Marriage Cert and Birth Cert (4x each) received by Gina in Philippines

11/19/10: CRBA package couriered to US Embassy in Manila

11/22/10: CRBA package/application including NSO BC & MC received by embassy

11/22/10: NOA1 Date

11/24/10: Electronic notification of receipt received from Chicago Lockbox

11/24/10: Embassy scheduled CRBA appointment for 12/21/2010

11/26/20: Check cashed

11/27/10: NOA1 Hardcopy received via USPS

12/21/10: Interview/Personal appearance at Manila Embassy for CRBA **approved**

01/03/11: CRBA and US Passport for daughter received by Gina via FEDEX

ok so there is no problem in waiting, i saw while searhing that we can even wait up to two years.

I also saw that we might be able to get a fee waiver because we are below the 150% poverty line (well below it) what im wondering is if we apply for this are they going to deny because of the affadavit of suppor, like showing I wont become a public chArge. Would you wait or try for the waiver?

I'd wait while we saved up the money and they file on my own without the lawyer. Every answer to ever question on the forms that the lawyer has done for you so far, he's gotten from you or your husband. :whistle:

Mostly for my own curiosity, how much did the lawyer charge your husband above and beyond the I-129F and other fees charged by the government? :blush: I'm almost willing to guess that his "fee" would have more then covered

he paid almost half amount for the aos

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

ok so there is no problem in waiting, i saw while searhing that we can even wait up to two years.

I also saw that we might be able to get a fee waiver because we are below the 150% poverty line (well below it) what im wondering is if we apply for this are they going to deny because of the affadavit of suppor, like showing I wont become a public chArge. Would you wait or try for the waiver?

Absolutely not. They will not approve a fee waiver for the I-485 unless you're adjusting status on a basis that does not require you to meet the "public charge" requirements. Someone adjusting from a K1 would not be eligible for a fee waiver. Read the instructions for the new I-912 fee waiver request for confirmation:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-912instr.pdf

They will deny if you don't provide a sufficient affidavit of support. If your spouse cannot do this, then you'll need a co-sponsor who can.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

I am confused, your spouse had to file I134 proving he was above 125% of the poverty guidelines ... when you went to your interview. Now you are well below 150% just a few months later?

Not withstanding you do not qualify for fee waiver of this type, filing for one might get you slapped with a misrep notice in such short time frame.

As others have said, borrow the money and file AOS forget about the fee waiver, and get sponsor if you cannot meet the support guidelines and a job ASAP so you can help out.

Good luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.